Home Depot Rant

Page 9 of 11

How long!?
Oren --
Oren wrote:

Weeks!
Remember, I'm in Texas. We add jalapenos to corn flakes.

Oren --

Trappey's, Cajun Chef, whats your poison?
HeyBub wrote:

[Social D channeling the Man in Black]
Ah fell in to a burnin' ring of fire...
[/Social D channeling the Man in Black]
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Ron wrote:

Costco has very good quality meat. Most of the supermarkets around here no longer sell USDA graded meat, having come up with their own marketing where they sell what USDA would grade as the low "Select" grade. Apparently they decided that selling to people that don't care about quality is more profitable, and are willing to lose the customers that do care.
Some of the high-end stores sell USDA choice and prime, but their regular prices are higher than Costco.

I work installs for a chain here in Canada and the big advantage we have over small contractors is that the companie stands behind it and will fix it . I have heard so many Mike Holmes stories that you would not have the space to put them in . Suffice to say there are a lot of shisters out there and HD, RONA, or Lowes usaully stand behind there work so as cust you are not left screwed.

I'd be more inclined to agree with you if I had not heard so many horror stories of people NOT being satisfied by Sears, HD, Lowes, etc when problems arose. Referrals from friends is an important factor in who I choose to do anything.
jim wrote:

Are you actually an employee of the chain? If so, that's far different than the various big box stores and chains in the US which use independent contractors as their installation vehicle. This is a deliberate choice for tax/benefits reasons under US code but I'm personally convinced(*) they also use it to be able to claim liability for installation is not their problem.
(*) Based on enough anecdotal evidence here and news reports, acquaintances, etc., that I've been convinced it's more than just happenstance.
HeyBub wrote:

Did you stock up on that great embalmed "fresh" meat they sell? Those everyday low prices sure are great and their employees keep the state welfare office busy.

HeyBub wrote:

There's a couple wally worlds near DC, just not *IN* DC. Probably don't want to deal with all the shrinkage, and I don't blame them. Plus real estate in the city has got to be insane.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
HeyBub wrote:

Chicago doesn't have one because they want to tell WalMart how to run WalMart and impose all sorts of conditions on their operation. So WalMart opens stores in the suburbs, right across the street from the city limits.
--
Dec. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Government officials and activists flying to Bali,
Indonesia, for the United Nations meeting on climate change will cause

Maybe the city refused to give WM the tax breaks they insist on, but don't deserve.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Maybe. The city's loss. The cut the city would have gotten on the state sales tax would more than make up for any tax abatement.

I'll bet you believe in fair competition, or you'll claim that you do.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

What's fair about a governmental entity interposing itself between a willing buyer and willing seller? The government, with the power of fines, firearms, and flogging can impose its will. That's hardly fair.
But we'll never know inasmuch as Walmart chose not to compete on the city's terms.
Walmart did not open a store in Chicago because the re-zoning necessary for its facility mandated a $10/hour wage with $3/hr in benefits. These "rules" applied only to the area Walmart wanted and not to any other business in the city. Walmarts decision did not rest on the absence of tax breaks.
Fortunately we don't have zoning in Houston.

I have real problems with Wal Mart when it demands (and gets) a city to essentially pay the costs of land and part of their building expenses. Of course, some people are childish and will say "Oh yeah? Well so-and-so got the same deal." It's still wrong, even though that's the exact kind of deal George W. Bush and his investors got when they raised local taxes to pay for the Texas Rangers' stadium.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

lamest versions of those small business assistance packages that are handed out to say Walton Enterprises, LLC (currently worth around $83 Billion dollars) just for the asking.

I understand Gander Mountain steadfastly refuses this kind of handout, preferring instead to stand on its own two feet. I knew there was a reason I liked their store, other than the fact that I just like it.

At least in Indiana, they are not only refusing this kind, but actively suggesting that cities shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff in the first place.
http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID#950&Se ctionID1&SubSectionID!7&S!
http://tinyurl.com/2c9bbm
BY PATRICK GUINANE, Times of Northwest Indiana snipped-for-privacy@nwitimes.com
INDIANAPOLIS | A competing outdoors retailer has been lobbying state officials to put the lid on government subsidies for a Cabela's in Hammond and Bass Pro Shops in Portage.
The message is that Gander Mountain doesn't need government assistance, and neither should its competitors.
This fall, a public relations firm connected to the Minnesota-based Gander Mountain sent Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels and top officials at the Indiana Economic Development Corp. a report titled, "Leveling the Playing Field: Making the Case for Limiting Government Incentives for Retail Development."
The report was paid for by Oppidan, a Minnesota investment company that is the exclusive developer for Gander Mountain stores.