Home Depot Rant

Page 8 of 11
Ron wrote:

like SMS???s extended ASCII is doing it although his posts display like plain text.

that for me, or for several of the others who have replied in this thread. Granted, he probably shouldn't be doing that -- but it's *your* newsreader that's making a problem out of it.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 22:11:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I tried to reply to recent message from you:
You got a nasty PING the other day.
This is uncalled for!
When I just replied my reader went hay-wire with ASCI or something - that would not allow me to reply. So I extended the subject line
Have you a Virus?
Oren --
Oren wrote:

No virus that I know of, I have a good antivirus and the virii files are updated every hour.
Maybe you ran into my firewall.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

True
Not true. There is no reason to "have" to outbid anyone. You have to have a good reputation. Some of the highest priced are in demand do to the quality of their work. Only the government and fools require going with the lowest bidder. We just gave out a contract (three bids from four contractors) to the middle bid that was $10,000 higher. There were reasons other that money for the decision.

And how many glass companies have you successfully started?

None. I've been to busy making money with other ones I've started. If I have to be the low bidder, I'm not interested either.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I am with you on this one Edwin. I have done nothing but referral work for years, now, and it is always done on a cost plus basis. I do an estimate for the job and we use that as a budget.
Some commercial companies always require three bids, but they want me to do the work. In that case, I turn in my estimate to them and they get two more from other companies. Even if I am the highest (I usually fall in between somewhere), I will still get the job, due to my history with them and my reputation. That is understood up front. On a couple of occasions, I was the lowest bid, and that scares the hell out of me. I always wonder what I left out. I never want to be the low bid.
But Ron is right about new companies. They obviously have no reputation and no one to use as references, so they must be lower than other bids to be considered. Not necessarily the low bid, but not the highest either. A client that knows what he is doing does not take the low bid.
When I first started out 35 years ago, I had to do alot of low bids to get the jobs so I could get in the door with people. After you get the reputation that people look for, you no longer have to do that.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Ashton Crusher wrote:

Where I live, Phoenix, the Home Depots are good and the Lowe'ses are bad. Lots of help available at HD, long wait to get anybody at all at Lowe's. For example, a couple of summers ago, I needed a window air conditioner, and at Lowe's it took three employees to find them. Another time, I needed a funny lamp part, and Lowe's didn't know, but a guy in the gardening dept. at HD told me where to find it at the other end of the store, within about two square feet. He even got the elevaton right. And when I couldn't find any copper plumbing fittings near the plastic and steel ones at Lowe's and asked the employee there, she asked someone else, "Do we carry something called 'copper fittings'?" She said she had worked in the plumbing dept. for three years.
I still like better the hardware store and plumbing store about two miles away.
On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 06:24:02 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"

It must vary widely from one part of town to the next. I'm in Tempe and the one on Warner road has gone way downhill. There used to be knowledgeable people in every department, now it's hard to find someone and usually they are the wrong person for whatever you want.
and the Lowe'ses are

Was she blonde?
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"larry moe \'n curly" < snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com> wrote in message

The Lowe's near me is less than 2 years old, and you can't enter without the risk of getting help (it IS a bad thing sometimes). They even know things.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Ashton Crusher wrote:

Big box stores are not all bad. Wal-Mart just took over the lead in my town (Houston) in selling groceries: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5422580.html
What's dreadful is that some cities don't have a Wal-Mart at all! For example: San Francisco(0), Chicago(0), Boston(0), New York(0), St Louis(1), Albany(1), D.C.(0).
We have 16 Walmarts in Houston. Atlanta has 3, Austin has 7, Dallas 9, Miami 3.
Heck, here in Houston we not have a Harbor Freight store, but we've got a Northern Tool shop!

Wal Mart doesn't pour a lot of money into GROCERY markets where they already know they can't compete with the big players. Right here (Rochester NY) is a good example.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I see you've got three Walmarts in Rochester, 11 in the vicinity.
I suspect the dearth of grocery Walmarts has more to do with union meatcutters than "big players."
You recall the Canada Walmart where workers joined/formed a union in 2004? Walmart closed the store, putting 200 employees out of work. When the meatcutters at a Walmart in Texas joined the union, Walmart fired them all and went to pre-packaged meat.

Umm....no. It's got to do with the competition. You'll argue about this forever, but there ARE grocery chains that Wal Mart can't compete with.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No, but they do have a response to the "national health care crisis"
Find a (perceived) need and fill it, I always say.
"... I went to one of those medical clinics in Wal-Mart..." http://freemanhunt.blogspot.com/2008/01/rediclinic-review.html

A friend of mine buys ALL of his meat from Costco.
Ron wrote:

Must have a big family.
I used to buy my jalapeno peppers at Sams. Do you know how long it takes to consume a 55 gallon drum of jalapenos?