Home Depot Rant

Page 6 of 11
David Starr wrote:

Actually, the good specialty stores and good independent hardware stores survive (for the most part). The crappy ones, that provided as poor service and products as HD, but at higher prices, disappear. That's what happened in my area when HD opened in 2000. The nearby lumber store folded, but it sold lumber almost as bad as HD. The good independent lumber store, one town over, continues to thrive. The local plumbing store, which kept bankers hours and was closed weekends went out of business, but one in the next town that opens for about four hours on Saturdays is a mob scene.
HD opened one of their Expo Design Centers not far from me, but it folded after a couple of years, unable to compete with all the independent supply stores, which are much less expensive.
"http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/06/14/BUGKTD852I1.DTL&type=business "
Actually that article is wrong, because the East Palo Alto store was already right next to a Home Depot, it wasn't converted, and it remains empty.
What?
No one going to piss and moan that McDonald's put all the small Mom and Pops hamburger stands out of business?
Well, not put them out of business.
DROVE them out of business.
As everyone knows, it was all a well orchestrated conspiracy from the start by the TriLateralists, Buildabergers, Skull and Bones Alumni, and let's not forget the Bush family participation in the matter.
What's next? McDonald's inside Home Depots?
It wouldn't surprise me.
It's called capitalism, and it's just not fair! IT'S NOT FAIR! IT'S NOT FAIR! IT'S NOT FAIR!
And any time you don't like it, just shop somewhere else. It's wickedly simple.
Steve
Oh, I forgot that the masses were involved in the conspiracy by going to the big stores and not to the Mom and Pops ShopRites.
SteveB wrote:

Because they didn't. Still massive numbers of hamburger restaurants that do quite well selling higher quality products.
Also, look at In 'N Out, a privately held company that treats its employees very well. They have driven three Burger King's in my area out of business within months after opening close by. The McDonald's near the In 'N Outs are very quiet at lunch, but since In 'N Out doesn't server breakfast, or fish, or chicken, or salads, McDonald's has scraped by.

Really? I have an excellent independent burger place within a block and a half of my house. I don't even know where the nearest McSlopple's is, and I don't care.
nate
Just a note, I just had to make an emergency trip to Lowes (slightly closer than Home Depot, seems better in my area than the Home Depot but prices are about the same).
Plumber is here. I split a pipe (frozen copper line) over the washing machine room which is exterior. The pipe heater had quit and we didnt know it. Got 2 rolls of insulation (room didnt have any), several rolls of various types of small pipe insulation, 2 pipe heaters (he showed us a second one in the garage that was bare so we are going to insulate that too later), some wire stuff to hold the insulation between the studs, etc. While he worked, we got the rest of the stuff he needed for the job. Simple and easy.

How dare you for not going to a pool supply place to buy your "Water Noodles"! And they have more colors. <G>
http://www.amerimerc.com/pImages/main/Water-Log-Noodle.m.jpg
"Ron" wrote

(snip)
Groan, well, he found a second pipe when he went to turn all back on so had to do that one too. It's all fixed up now. Got a heater for the garage and we are testing it out.
750$ worth of work here. Actually not all that bad since they didnt finish til 8pm, 5 hours worth of work. I think we got some freebies in there. Nothing deliberate, but it was cold as the blazes and it was a long job so we made home made pizza with side order of roasted eggplant, and plied them with hot tea and hot chocolate as the day turned to evening.

That was a JOKE.
"Ron" wrote

I know, I saw the '<g>' on it! Unfortunately, my humor model wasnt up to replies in the same vein just then, having forked over 750$ in repairs.
We got a 36$ oil filled heater for the garage, not much of a unit but it has a 'heat the garage' setting for 42F which is working fine. It probably wont carry the load if it drops to the teens (will have to watch it carefully) but we've got pipe heaters now on the pipes and are finishing off insulating the washing room side part.
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 02:40:47 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Since this particular valve is, and always has been, stocked by HD for years there was no reason to think buying one would turn into an ordeal ending at Lowe's. So no, I gave no thought to heading to a specialty store for this commodity item. Where do you buy your apples, and flour, and sugar? Do you go to a grocery store or do you seek out specialty stores used by large restaurants?

I consider a grocery store to be the equivalent of a hardware store. In certain seasons, I get produce directly from the growers at farmstands or our local farmer's market. But, there's no such analogy for plumbing parts, since they don't grow on farms.

And yet you still go there. You got what you deserved. Had you gone to a real plumbing supply house, one trip would have gotten you the right part and maybe even cheaper.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunately big box places have the warchests to buy mind share. They know that constantly telling everyone how good they are really works because pretty soon people think they are the only game in town.

I've never had a problem getting help in the 2 HD's I visit in my area. And the Lowes that is RIGHT across from one of the HD's hardly has any costumers so getting help there is a breeze.
Ashton Crusher wrote:
SNIPS
Four stores to find a $12 valve, ridiculous.
Yes, it is ridiculous.
But its more you and not HD or Loews that is ridiculous.
Why not go to a real plumbing supply in the first place?
You might save $ .00 on a valve, IF HD has it, but you spent more than that in gas.
Patronize the local specialty suppliers.
HD / Loews are jokes.

Well... they're really more for more knowledgeable buyers. If you need guidance, you need the specialty store. -----
- gpsman

Knowledgable, or for people who don't mind wasting 1/2 hour looking for parts that aren't placed logically, compared with getting in & out of a hardware store in 63 seconds.
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:39:06 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

This valve is a commodity around here. Except for when I happened to need it this time it's ALWAYS in stock. My point wasn't so much that they didn't have it, it was how less then helpful they have become over the years. They seem to have less and less people on the floor and they don't seem very well cross trained.
Hi,
My name is Ben Bernanke.
I'm trying to push some radical legislation through congress that will affect the FED, the FCC, and the SEC.
Basically, my plans call for any retail establishment not to offer any of its shares on a public exchange.
Trust me, this is radical, but it WILL work.
Gotta go.

Ashton Crusher wrote:

Or you could have driven straight to a plumbing supply house and gotten it for about $8.
In general, Home Depot and Lowe's should be last resorts for any product you're looking for.
Today I was showing a rental I have to someone. I had just replaced the carpet, and the potential renter mentioned that she had a rental that she also needed new carpet for, and where did I buy the carpet. She had gotten a very expensive quote, for poorer quality carpet with a poorer quality pad, from Home Depot (the _last_ place anyone should go to buy carpet). Carpet is extremely high margin, is all ordered from the same mills in Georgia, and there are scores of places that sell it cheaper and install it better than Home Depot.
Tile, laminate flooring, and granite are three more things that can be purchased for far less at builder supply houses (though not fancy home decorator centers). I'm sure there are many other items as well.