Home Depot Rant

Page 4 of 11

You guys are lucky to have plumbing supply stores that sell retail. Where I live (town of 80,000) there is not one that will sell to the public. Even as a general contractor, I can't open an account--have to have a master plumber on the payroll.
marson wrote:

yeah, I feel like I'm pulling one over on Grainger every time I buy personal stuff there. (my employer does have an account, and they'll let you pay with a personal credit card, but if you can't drop the right names, no sale.) Ever since I discovered that you can order from McMaster-Carr online, I haven't been back.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

At a local Grainger, the counter person knew I didn't have an account.
"I'm from the Government" Oh!? He looked on the monitor to find an account for the U.S. Park Service. I paid cash using that account.
The guy was nice about it.
Oren --

Sounds like a business opportunity. The one I mentioned recently expanded to include general hardware, but even before that, it was open to the public. Now that I think of it, I got my Moen faucet from another place that's a fancy shmancy kitchen/bath showroom out front, with a warehouse-style plumbing parts counter in back. They were a few bucks cheaper than HD, who didn't have the model I wanted in stock.
There's also a huge lighting showroom with a parts counter staffed by true geniuses. I was there last week looking for a flush mount fixture to install in the eave over my garage door. It's a shallow cavity above the eave, so we're not sure if an incandescent fixture would be safe due to the heat generated. The guy told me to throw together a cardboard model of the space and bring it back. We'll figure something out.

Our town in central Illinois is another one where the plumbers cartel has closed off most wholesale sales to the public. Fortunately, there is one old time distributor who ignores this nonsense and, in fact, delights at meeting or beating the box store prices. Our electrical distributor sells to one and all, but with two tier pricing. I suspect there may be changes in the plumbing scene as the housing market shrivels.
Joe
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I think part of the issue is that I live just outside of DC and the area is, um, somewhat affluent. I'm the odd man out - the cheap bastard whose tool collection is worth more than his car, and doesn't mind fixing stuff himself. Most people just hire someone.
I've tried to pick up the phone and make that call, but I just can't bring myself to do it...
I'm sure the good stores aren't hurting for business just due to population density.
At least there is one good independent plumbing store that is open on Saturday mornings, and one good hardware store open late in the evening. But if I can't get it at one of those places *sigh* off to Big Orange :( (or more likely, ordering stuff online)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 03:45:16 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

[cut]
I love Debbie Supply, too, but they're sometimes overpriced. I've had good results going to one of the plumbing supply places at 7 am, when they open: try that strategy instead (make it an errand before you go to work).

Where I live, you don't run errands before you go to work. Traffic is so bad you're lucky to get to work on time as it is.

I used to do that when I lived in Long Island. 90-120 minutes to go 45 miles. It seemed normal at the time.

When I lived in the tri-state area it was pronounced as Long Guyland :-)
on 1/3/2008 5:49 PM Red Green said the following:

Lawn guyland .
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yea, that's a more accurate phonetic spelling. I'm not gonna argue with a NY'er on this one ;-)
on 1/4/2008 8:06 PM Red Green said the following:

My ex had relatives there.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Provided HD & the other big boxes haven't driven them out of business. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy Web Site: www.destarr.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

HD and the other big stores have never put anyone out of business. Please, get your facts straight.
When the big box stores move in, customers gravitate to them for some reason and it is the lack of custoemrs that puts the other store out of business. All their loyal customers over the years think they are smart shoppers by saving 10 on selected items by going to the big stores.
Back in the 60's and 70's, small town store lost to the big shopping malls. Why? Parking for one thing. To go to the local store you'd have to park 200 feet away and walk. At the mall, you can park in the lot right outside and walk 1/4 mile to the entrance and the another 1/4 mile to the store you want to visit.

He said "driven out of business" which is exactly what you just wrote.
wrote in message

He said by HD & the other big boxes. That is NOT what I wrote. The former "loyal" customers drove them out. Can't you comprehend a full sentence? Taking half of it out of context does not give the proper meaning.

Not gonna play semantics with you.

You already did. You're 0 - 1

Two other posters disagree with you.