Home Depot Rant

Page 3 of 11

I don't have anything against saving time and money.
For me, with HD being less than 5 minutes from my house (and the other one less than 10 minutes), that is MY best first option. And 98% of the time, they have what I need.
It would be foolish for me to look else where first.
BTW, did you miss my post about the ice maker I got from Lowes??????

I saw that. It was a weird example. Nobody in their right mind would expect to find that at a hardware store.

But I could have bought it from an appliance repair store and paid probably about $125.00.
Like I wrote, JUST the control module was $60.00 from there.
I got a whole damn ice maker from Lowes (a Whirlpool) for $50.00.
So to say I don't care about saving time, and money is absurd.
wrote in message

The discussion began with plumbing parts, which is why numerous people have suggested that the OP find a source that'll make him happy next time. The ice maker is still a weird example, and I stand by that statement because I once shopped for a transmission for my washing machine. The price ranged from $75 to $200 for the exact same G.E. part. It's not enough of a commodity to keep prices within a narrow range.
Ron wrote:

But you shop at Lowes, so it is obvious that you care nothing about saving money or time. You just want convenience. And that is OK. Just don't complain when you become frustrated due to all the time and money that you have wasted making the borgs your first choice.
As far as your icemaker episode, I once broke the side view mirror off my Chevy truck. On my way home, there was a bag of garbage on the side of our street (litter on our country road). I stopped to pick it up because I have a dumpster and there was a side view mirror laying in the grass by the bag of garbage. I found a great deal that time, but that is not the first place I look when I need an auto part.
If the borgs work for you, then great. They need people like you to keep them in business. People like me are sure not going to do it and I spend over a quarter million dollars a year on supplies.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

If I were running a business (or whatever you're doing), I too would have mutiple accounts around town, but that isn't what we are talking about.
And what is this borg thing?
Ron wrote:

It is what we in the construction business call the Big Box stores. It originally referred to Home Depot; Big Orange Retail Giant.
I didn't make it up. I just use it.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Point taken. I was speaking to Ron through your post. I guess that would make you a cyber medium.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Ron wrote:

I am pretty sure replacing a packaged hot water boiler is home repair.

I don't hate HD. I just do what makes sense to me. You simply have to give me a reason to like you not just tell me how good you are to get my business.

This must be a "northern" thing since I've never heard of a hot water boiler. Isn't that some type of central heater/furnace?
That is why I brought up heat pump, not something I would EVER buy from HD or Lowes, much less try to install it.
I guess depending on your skill level everything could be considered home repair, but I was talking about what most DIY can accomplish on their own w/o making matters worse.
Ron wrote:

It is basically a fancy water heater. Do you think any of the big box stores would give the actual service (not the marketing speak) that I received from the local mom & pop place?

I thought we were talking about DIY? I wouldn't attempt a lot of stuff but would certainly do what I know how to do. I am sure that is a similar thing with others.
Ron wrote:

Yes.
Ron wrote:

For specialty items it's usually necessary. Even the Home Depot staff will often refer you to a specialty store for plumbing and electrical items.
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

Thats why I don't go there because they only stock common stuff so you always end up with another trip anyway to the real supply house.
I was over my buddies a few weeks ago and he is trained to go to big box. He asked me to help him with something so off to hd we go. After a long treasure hunt and trying to cobble things together from what they had we asked about a common item. The guy says they don't have that but "Smithville Plumbing" would.

YES in the midwest Menards totally blows away HD, and every other lumber yard I've ever visited in my 53 years for that matter. They are awesome stores that dwarf 3 or 4 home depots put together. Need a whole house or cottage/garage kit? The guy at Menards will send it over in a few days, you cant even buy a house at HD if you wanted to. And they have a greater flow of new products, HD sells the same stuff for the past 10 years and every HD has exactly the same items, very disappointing. But compared to Lowes HD is still better, at our Lowes you cannot get a 2x4 over 8 feet long. But with a Menards there why bother with either HD or Lowes.
marson wrote:

There's a new building supply store around here, called HD Supply. Much cheaper than Home Depot. They sell to anyone.
http://www.hdsupplyrepairandremodel.com /
I needed some cabinet knobs and handles for a rental I have. I wasn't interested in anything designer. HD Supply had some good ones for 88¢ each, less than 1/2 the price of anything decent from Home Depot. Less than Ikea too. These are very high margin items that Home Depot charges a lot for.
Have you learned your lesson? Next time go straight to a "real" plumbing supply. They'll know what it is, they'll have it in stock, and it'll probably be cheaper

If I bet you $1000 that you didn't give any thought at all to visiting a real hardware store or plumbing supply place, would I win the bet?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I don't know where you live, but in my neck of the woods, if you can't shop before 5:30 PM you are SOL and HD is your only option. All the good stores close at 6 and the big plumbing supply house (which I've never been inside, for obvious reasons) at 5. Only a handful of good stores have Saturday hours.
it really frosts my cookies, I think the only reason they close early is so they don't have to deal with homeowners who don't know what to ask for, only contractors
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It used to be that way here, too (Rochester NY), probably because so many people worked for places like Kodak & Delco, where the day shift ended at 4:00 or 4:30. As those industries have shrunk, places like hardware stores have adjusted and are open till 6:30 or 7:00, maybe with one weeknight till 8:00 or 8:30. Sounds like these businesses in your town aren't interested in making more money.
There's a plumbing supply house here that's open at least a couple of late nights, as well as Saturdays & Sundays, and they do a huge business. Everyone there knows their stuff. You're in & out in five minutes with exactly what you need. Every now and then, they run TV & print ads that take pot shots at HD & Lowe's. They're perfect.