Home Depot Rant

Page 11 of 11
Art wrote:

Maybe. But Walmart has created more help for the downtrodden that all government programs combined (WIC, Medicade, AFDC, Rent supplements, etc.). At least according to Walmart.
"As a force for poverty relief, Wal-Mart's $200 billion-plus assistance to consumers may rival many federal programs. Those programs are better targeted at the needy, but they are dramatically smaller. Food stamps were worth $33 billion in 2005, and the earned-income tax credit was worth $40 billion."
Critics often point to Walmarts low wages and lack of other benefits. But for every employee seemingly screwed, a Walmart stockholder benefits.
It averages out.
HeyBub wrote:

where I grew up. Long before my time a few families owned all of the coal mining operations and made fabulous wealth at the expense of the workers who were basically owned by the company because they lived in tiny company houses and had to buy everything from company houses. As a token the coal barons would pay for a cheap funeral if a child died so they could be looked upon as benevolent.
As a bonus the area still hasn't recovered from all of the scarring and environmental damage. But it all balanced out because a couple families became extremely wealthy.
George wrote:

Don't forget all the thousands who had jobs. And the free funerals.
If it weren't for the "coal barons," all those folks would have had to eat bark. THEN what would the environment look like - with all those naked trees?

Yes there are plenty of Wal Marts here in the Chicago-land area but just outside the city limits and beyond. I dont blame them one bit for not wanting to deal with trying to run any business in Chicago, where the payoffs to the politicians exceed the taxes. Women absolutely love WalMart, my wife was estatic for a whole month when ours went "Super". And women always get what they want, except in Chicago.

Yes there are plenty of Wal Marts here in the Chicago-land area but just outside the city limits and beyond. I dont blame them one bit for not wanting to deal with trying to run any business in Chicago, where the payoffs to the politicians exceed the taxes. Women absolutely love WalMart, my wife was estatic for a whole month when ours went "Super". And women always get what they want, except in Chicago.
++++++++++++
Wal Mart typically demands so many tax breaks that many municipalities now tell them to go phuque themselves. This is the correct response to Wal Mart. The company claims its stores will be a net benefit to the community, but very often, the opposite is true.
clifto wrote:

Yeah, I remember when they opened that store, on the other side of the street that separated Chicago from the next city. Walmart got 15,000 job applications for some 300 jobs. 90% of the applications were from folks who had a Chicago ZIP code.
HeyBub wrote:

very likely the people who once had real jobs in manufacturing but those jobs disappeared due to the unrelenting demands of walmart for lower prices each time from suppliers.
HeyBub wrote:

There are a bunch of Wal-Marts in the San Francisco Bay Area, just none in the city of San Francisco itself. No Target, Sears, JC Penney, Home Depot, or Lowe's either (though there used to be a Sears and a JC Penney).
Big box stores in these areas tend to go into nearby business-friendly towns (those without living wage requirements, heath care requirements, restrictions on hours of operation, etc.). Costco has a store in San Francisco, but Costco treats there employees well, and is a responsible corporate citizen.
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:
Costco has a store in San

Thats just plain un-American. Can we have them shut down?
George wrote:

In fact, Wall Street _has_ complained about how well Costco treats their workers:
"From the perspective of investors, Costco's benefits are overly generous," says Bill Dreher, retailing analyst with Deutsche Bank Securities Inc. "Public companies need to care for shareholders first. Costco runs its business like it is a private company."
"http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB108025917854365904-INjeoNplaV3oJ2pan2IbauIm4.html "
Responsible corporations like Costco would like universal health care, which would level the playing field versus corporations like Wal-Mart whose employees heavily rely on the safety-net system of health care, not to mention food stamps.
I guess we should all shop at Wal-Mart, since our taxes are subsidizing their whole operation.
"http://www.dsausa.org/lowwage/walmart/2004/walmart%20study.html " "If other large California retailers adopted Wal-Mart’s wage and benefits standards, it would cost taxpayers an additional $410 million a year in public assistance to employees."
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

"http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB108025917854365904-INjeoNplaV3oJ2pan2IbauIm4.html "

According to my state Walmart employees are the biggest % of people getting assistance in our state while we build new stores for them with 9 year tax exemptions.
SMS ???. ? wrote:

By every study, Walmart's pay and benefit package is slightly better than for retailing generally.
Oh, it's admittedly not as good as a worker on a unionized auto assembly line; it's probably not as good as your ordinary government worker. But the renumeration is as good or better than that found in local mom-and-pop shops or even nationwide retailing chains (Sears, Target, and the like).
One seldom, if ever, sees a complaint by a Walmart worker about the horrid pay and conditions. All the complaints about the Walmart workers' ghastly lot in life seem to come from enemies of Walmart. There are the unions, of course. Then there are the people who accuse Walmart of having employees on the public dole.
Just think how much MORE the welfare system would cost if it weren't for the salaries Walmart pays to those getting assistance!
SMS ???. ? wrote:

Costco is unionized. Sam's Club is not.
HeyBub wrote:

Actually, only the Costco's that were previously Price Clubs are unionized. The Costco's that were originally Costco's are not.
SMS ???. ? wrote:

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.
We don't have many union members in Texas - it's a "Right to Scab" state.
HeyBub wrote:

on people's heads as if they were running a 19th century coal mine. Part of that is demonstrated in executive compensation. Their CEO makes $350,000 as opposed to the $23.3 Million walmarts CEO received.
They also don't feed at the public trough while claiming they are capitalists . When they build a store they don't have us build it for them and they don't get tax exemptions.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

One trip to a real plumbing supply house would have found you one for $8 and a lot less gas and time as well. Not only do the big boxes have crappy service and stock, their prices are frequently more than those at a real supply house. About the only reasons to visit the big boxes are if you desperately need something outside the 9-5 hours of the real supply houses, or if you need to browse the aisles to figure out what you need, which you generally can't do at the supply house.
Ashton Crusher wrote:

You have to know what YOU are doing. Somebody could give you the wrong advise which would be worse than no advise.