Home Depot Paint

Has anyone used there paint with primer in ? How does it compare to Sherwin Williams
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

http://tinyurl.com/25p6p65

A friend recently used the paint with primer. Painted canary yellow over coco brown. One coat. Looks great. I will try it next time I need to repaint. WW

You don't say whether you're looking for interior or exterior.
I've been a long time Benjamin Moore user, but got fed up with more and more dealers going out of business and the price going up and up.
So I tried Behr premium plus exterior semi gloss on my cedar trim and I really like it. It covers extremely well, is easy to apply and doesn't show brush marks. It's only been 3 years, but it looks as good as the day I first painted.
It's been a long time since I used Sherwin Williams; never liked it all that much, so I can't compare. But I like the Behr better than the Bennie Moore. I will say the Behr PP is not much cheaper (if at all) though.
Paul F.
On 8/5/2010 3:28 PM, desgnr wrote:

Tried some this spring on trim boards and it went on very easy and covered quite well. Only been on about 6 months but hasn't washed off in the rain.

If you want the best way it is old fashion oil primer, then latex topcoat. Primers are meant to penetrate and oil molicules are smaller than latex, it goes further into wood. Sherwin williams used to state this for their warranty on the lifetime paint, I dont know what they specify now. Quick is quick, but you wont know for years if its really good, and I bet its not the best way.
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 17:17:14 -0700 (PDT), ransley

The new third generation latex paints have rewritten the book on painting, including the rules - particularly the alkyd modified acrylic latex paints that will bind to a chalky surface better than any oil based paint ever made. Behr paint isn't bad paint, but it's no cheaper than the national brands - and no better. (possibly no worse either, but I stick with Sherwin Williams for just about everything, except painting aluminum siding, where I used Benjamin Moore Collection 103 Exterior Acrylic Latex Low Lustre Enamel, which is an alkyd modified 100% acrylic latex paint. ( formerly MooreGlo)
On Aug 5, 10:41pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The problem is Time proves a product, time of 10-15-20 years, you cant duplicate all the environments factors and woods expansion and contraction in accelerated testing. The paint companies have no choise due to pollution laws but to push what they must. I see houses I painted 15-20 years ago with oil primer that are fine, and things I painted with latex primer, even a new fence failing in 6-8 years badly. Remember leaded paints and primers, I have areas of my house ive scraped off newer latex that failed and found 40-50 yr old green leaded oils still holding fine but the top coats failed, just because something is marketed doesnt mean its any good, and you wont really know till it fails in many years. Primers must penetrate, latex cant and a latex dual purpose products can be your experiment, I will stick to what is proven to work from time.
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 04:24:21 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Latex over oil has NEVER worked for me. Untill Alkyd modified latex - on old chalked paint.
I would not use such a product on anything outdoors, in the kitchen, or bathroom. It's probably just tinted primer.

I used the HD paint and primer on an outside door, frame and side lights (bare wood) and it worked very well, and still looks good a year later. I was skeptical at first, and now I'm glad I tried it. One note, it is the thickest paint I've used.