Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

I got a 70's in my basement. The condenser is wide open in the back, no fan. It runs almost $100 more a year, but I'm not changing It out.

How much does it cost to get freon removed ? Certified.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Free. Appliance dealer hauls it away.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The point I tried to make was that engineered obsolescence should be a crime! The ability to design and manufacture quality appliances should be greater now than it was 60 years ago. Of course, I expect energy efficiency, but mfg. practices are such that mfgs cut every possible penny from mfg. to the extent that circuit boards burn out, not enough internal insulation, less durable material (price door seals) etc.

I'm wondering if washers with no agitator will last...we have a Maytag,

1 y/o, and so far it is fine. I always use the "bulky" setting to get more water so's my clothes aren't ground to pieces. There is no doubt in my mind that with much less water there is much more friction on the fabrics. Saving $ on water isn't economic if my clothes wear out faster :o)
Reply to
Norminn

Because the service contract was bought from Lowes? Because that's who the tenants (future owners) called? Because the Lowes phone number was handy?

Are you really so dumb that you can't read three words? That's pretty poor, even for a lefty.

from the free online dictionary

lo·cal (lkl) adj.

1b. Of or relating to a city, town, or district rather than a larger area: state and local government.

gas (gs) n. pl. gas·es or gas·ses

  1. A gaseous fuel, such as natural gas.

(or in your case 7a. Flatulence.)

com·pa·ny (kmp-n) n. pl. com·pa·nies

3a. A business enterprise; a firm.
Reply to
krw

I'm also not fond of that planned obsolescence. I figure that means more material used, energy, etc. And we're packing the already over filled landfills. What's the point of turn down the thermostat and put a brick in the toilet tank (and all the other 1970's conservation tricks) if we just keep landfilling the computer printer, the refrigerator, etc.

I've heard that the low water front loading washers are a failure, on so many levels. The new clothes dryers with the bearing supported clothes drum are also a failure. Electrolux, White Westinghouse, I think it is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Once again, your lack of reading comprehension is showing. Go back and read the question that I asked. Note that the question starts with the word "what", not "why".

I'll type this slowly because I know you can't read very fast...

When someone asks a question that begins with "what", an answer that starts with "because" is not relevant. "Because" answers a question that starts with "why".

A relevant answer to a question that starts with "_What_ did you have repaired..." would be something like "a water heater", "a generator", "a gas dryer". The answer would not start with the word "because" unless the person answering the question suffered from a reading comprehension disability. For that you have my sympathies.

Once again, I'll be patient and try to help you out since you can't seem to do this on your own.

When I DAGS for gas companies in my area, I get hits for at least 6 different "local gas companies" including the utility company that supplies natural gas and electricity to the homes and businesses in our area. If I said that I was going to call "the local gas company", that is the company that most people would think of.

I'm not going too fast for you, am I? I can wait while you read that again if you'd like.

OK, still with me? Good, I'll continue...

If I had a service contract through Lowe's, I can be pretty sure that the "local gas company" that supplies natural gas and electricity to the homes and businesses in my area is not going to be the "local gas company" that shows up for the service call. They simply don't repair the types of things that Lowe's sells service contracts for. Of course, I am speaking only for my "local" area. Things may be different in the "local" area of the gentleman who said that Lowe's has a contract with the "local gas company".

Therefore, I am still interested in the poster's definition of "local gas company" as it applies to the service contract he had with Lowe's.

Were you able to follow any of that or should I repeat it?

Who helped you find that site?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Once again, you prove that you're too stupid to breathe. What wasn't part of the discussion. It doesn't matter (but it was a 'fridge). I made the assumption (I know) that you had a real question, for once. I should have known that a lefty can never be honest.

Reply to
krw

Please. You only encourage him.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I am guessing that google dot com search engine helped Kerwhat find the free dictionary site.

What's on second? Who helped you find that site? I don't know. I don't know what. Who? No, what. Who, Hu? Hu is the premier of China. That's what I asked. No, not what; who?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What a pathetic attempt to conceal your error. I asked a specific question

- "What was repaired...? thus making "what" a part of the discussion. You, due to your lack of reading comprehension, answered a question that was never asked. In fact you answered a question that wasn't asked with 3 different "because" answers.

Oh, wait. You may be having some trouble with that last paragraph. Go find who ever it was that helped you use freedictionary.com and have them look up - and explain to you - the definition of "pathetic". You might (although I doubt it) recognize yourself.

I did. The real question was, as can be seen above (by anyone who can read) "What was repaired..." Of course, you know that because you finally answered it. Why it took you 2 posts to answer it shows how slow you are. Hey, don't let it bother you. We accept you for who you are, even with all of your many, many faults.

OK, so now we know it was a 'fridge. As I posted earlier, my "local gas company" doesn't repair 'fridges, not for Lowe's, not for anyone else. So my other question is still unanswered. Now that we know that it was a 'fridge, I'll rephrase it: What kind of "local gas company" was it that was contracted by Lowe's to fix a 'fridge? Let me repeat that for you so we're all sure what question is being asked. We wouldn't want you to answer an un-asked question like you did earlier.

What kind of "local gas company" was it that was contracted by Lowe's to fix a 'fridge?

Oh, come on...I honestly want to know what kind of "local gas company" had a contract with Lowe's to fix 'fridges. There's no chance that that was one of your "lefty lies" is there?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Two parts to that equation. Yes, part of it is planned obsolescence, but part of it is cheap consumers. We can buy appliances for much less than we could 60 years ago. When we got married in 1966 we bought a

6,000 BTU air conditioner for the bedroom. Now, in 2013 I can buy a lighter more cheaply made AC for about the same dollars.

People can now afford appliances, possibly less reliable, that they could not afford years ago. Good or bad?

Bought one a few months ago. Works well, but given the complexity of it all, I wonder how reliable it really is.

I replaced a 3.5 gallon toilet with a 1.6, replaced an old washer with hi-efficiency, replaced the dishwasher with a new more efficient model. Water bill came today and it is $4 higher than the last one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

maytag is now junk quality check consumer reports, its made by whirlpool.

havent you noticed the lack of commercials by the maytag man? He is too busy reparing the appliances to film commercials:(

Reply to
bob haller

samsung service center in gurgaon supply home repair service All over Delh i/NCR. we provide Reapir home appliances service for fridge, washing machin e, microwave such type of samsung items.we also provide 3 months warranty o n all products. we are authorised service marketer call on 9811052330 samsu ng customer care in faridabad gives 100% Satisfaction or fast service to ou r client. Visit :-

samsungservicecenter8569

I had a Home Depot-purchased 40 gallon natural gas water heater that had been installed by an HD subcontractor company. Total price for the heater and installation was reasonable and competitive at the time.

The device failed after about half-way through the warranty period and I went over to the local HD. They offered a new one at a very steeply discounted price but told me that installation wasn't covered. They said their install subcontractor (a different company) would call to set up an appointment for later in the day.

They did and when the guy arrived, he took a quick look at the easy-out, easy-in location and solemnly informed me that it was an especially difficult- and possibly dangerous- installation which would cost $1500 and change just for the labor. The heater, new expansion tank, gas valve/fitting lines, and new pressure relief valve were all extra.

He was quite surprised when I thanked him for his time and sent him on his way. He said there was a $75 charge for coming out for the estimate since I didn't hire him, I told him that's fine but I was a work-at-home self-employed professional and would charge him $100 for my wasted time spent talking to him about his absurd bid. He got in his van and left hurridly- clipping one of my wife's rose bushes at the end of the driveway.

I picked up the heater from HD myself and hired a local plumber at his hourly rater to install it. It took him just under two hours- including testing, clean-up and agreeing to haul away the old one for much less than my trash collection company charges for special pickups of appliances and such.

Never had any dealings with Lowe's contractors but had a few problems with their appliance delivery folks- company employees, not subs.

Reply to
Bobby Axelrod

I have had Lowes to install some carpet and laminate flooring. That was top notch. Good people and on time.

I ordered a stove from them and got a call for delivery on Monday for a Wensday delivery . No show. Called them . They said the stove got on the wrong truck. The same thing happened the next week. Call and no show. I called and asked what they had in stock at the store. Bought one in stainless steel instead of white because they said it was in stock. It did get delivered. A friend had about the same thing hapen to him with a freezer.

About 3 years later I bought a dryer from them. After waiting an hour past the due time, I called and they said they were running behind. They did finally show up about an hour and a half late. I thought they were suppose to hook it up as I had to buy a new cord at the store. They brought it in, put the cord on and when they found out they would have to go under the house to hook up the vent line, they said they did not go under houses and left. They were nice about the way they said it.

Under the house is large enough to stand up in, so I spent about 15 minuits hooking it up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yet you continue to buy from big box stores. There are similar stories all the time. There are local appliance stores that offer better service for about the same price and no heartache. Shop around.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good idea, I'll do that...

Reply to
Bobby Axelrod

I live in a small town and There is only Lowes and Queen city to choose from. Almost all appliance stores have closed in the area. Two that have been around for over 70 years closed up within the last 10 years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Appliances are such a cut throat business with such low markups, I am not sure how anyone can own an appliance store that has no other source of revenue.

Reply to
gfretwell