Home Depot house paint sux big time!!

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home Depot again!!

Reply to
Jim

I'm also a landlord in the same situation and can't say that I agree.

I've used Behr soild color exterior stain on three houses and one garage with excellent results. So far, I've truly gotten 10 years and counting out of their 20 Plus stain.

Also, I've used Behr exterior white semi-gloss trim enamel and have found it to be excellent. Even Consumer Reports (ya, I know they are not perfect) has rated Behr highly.

What grade of Behr paint did you buy and how/where was it used?

I've also had good luck with their America's Best interior medium grade paint (made for them by Glidden/ICI Industries). Also they sell about three grades of Glidden, also well rated.

I did have poor luck with one can of Behr interior enamel. It seemed runny and the color was not consistent even after mixing.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Reply to
bigjim

I have had good results with interior Behr. Benjamin Moore for exterior is good. Consumer Reports has the ratings. Brands, use, and color matters.

Reply to
Phisherman

All brands have a cheap line and a top line, I bet you are buying the cheapest and dont buy what is needed, ex you probably dont know what grade is needed for a single coat from experiance, you guess, and loose.

Reply to
ransley

No, I agree with Jim: Behr paint is not good, period. We just used the deluxe interior latex for bathrooms and kitchens, and the performance was far worse than the same type of product by Valspar (Lowe's). The Behr didn't cover well, and the color was not good. The Valspar covered almost perfectly in a single coat, and the color is very rich. I'll also never buy Behr, and several of my friends agree, having had the same negative experiences with this product line.

Reply to
KLS
9.9 times out of 10 it's the prep (and the painter) that's bad...not the paint. Behr the best I've ever used!
Reply to
curmudgeon

Guess results and opinions are like the proverbial appendages -- everybody has their own...

Used the Behr exterior on the barn here and it worked (spray application) extremely well, covered well and has/is holding up well. I have been quite satisfied.

Don't recall the name of the particular product, but it was the premium line and not that much less than any other of similar quality -- about $80/5-gal bucket iirc, including a volume discount of 10% or so, five/six years ago, I forget which w/o looking it up. Retail was probably pushing $20/gal then. I suspect if buy a $10/gal paint instead of $20, one will find it doesn't stand up to the higher priced...

Reply to
dpb

Which is the key question. All paint companies have different grades of paint ranging from colored water to one coat, 30 year coverage.

The big box stores (and Wal Mart) feature the cheaper grades, but you can find the better stuff if you look.

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Can't go by just the cost of the paint. The most expensive paint on a rental (due to abuse) may only last 3 years while a cheaper brand will last just as long. No need for a 20 year paint if you know you needed to repaint every 5 years. Consumer Report did a comparison and surprised (maybe not) to see one of the most expensive paints rated on the bottom.

Reply to
** Frank **

Abuse has nothing whatsoever to do with the paint itself...

And while there have been some of the tests CR has done that have shown one or two of the more expensive didn't perform for some reason, in general it is true that the actual paint quality (in terms of amount of pigment, etc.) is correlated w/ price, no unsurprisingly.

--

Reply to
dpb

Well, good for you!

Did you want to discuss this?

Are you just venting your spleen?

Would you like to give us any information, hints, or experiences with this company or products?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Did you use Behr white? Behr warns you that their white is pure white whereas most competitors put in pigments to make their whites cover better though they won't be as white as Behr.

Reply to
Art

I use Behr Ultra exclusively and love it.

So there!

Reply to
GWB

Of course they looked! They looked right past the quality, for the cheapest price. They're slumlords, you really didn't think they couldn't find a better paint, did you? They probably even mixed their paint 50/50 with water.

Reply to
Kirk R.

-- re: opinions are like the proverbial appendages

FYI...it isn't an "appendage" that opinions are typically compared to.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I chosed it on for poorpoise fur the inference whoever would chooz to draw...

Reply to
dpb

OP was talking about paint on his rental units and for that high price paint doesn't do any better than a good cheap one due to the accelerated ware and tear. Its the same reason you don't install top of the line carpet in a rental unit as you know you need to replace it every 7 years down the line. Really if an expensive paint that could last 10 years in a rental, I'll be the first one to buy it. Paint is cheap, labor is not. Maintaining rentals since 1980 and used hundreds of gallons of paint since. Just my experience, may not be yours - YMMV.

Reply to
** Frank **

-- I chosed it on for poorpoise fur the inference whoever would chooz to draw

But your wording doesn't work because an appendage hangs *out* and an ... oh, nevermind.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He also was talking about _EXTERIOR_ paint, not interior, and also made blanket condemnation of Behr paints w/o consideration of _which_ particular paint...

I simply pointed out there are at least some with which I have had excellent results not matching his generic claim...

--

Reply to
dpb