Home Depot Home Services: Recommended?

Page 1 of 2
My GF just had Home Depot do an estimate for a new roof for her house. They are selling her 50 yr shingles and promises for a super job that will be completed in one day. She has already signed a contract and won't tell me what they are charging her. No one else did an estimate for the work. Comments? And what level of quality can she expect? Thanks. Frank

Ok..first of all, Home Depot actually has NO installers...none.. They are going to use the cheapest labor they can find, meaning, a roofing company that will do the job as cheap as possible, and still allow HD to make money..
She could have probably saved a bundle, by doing herself, what Home Depot did, and thats hiring the company herself.
Home Depot sells Trane AC too right?
Wrong.
They simply offer one for display, and subcontract out with the authorized Trane rep in the area to do the installations for less than they would normally, but charge the homeowner more than the same company would have, installing it at normal prices....
Its all about one thing...convience.
They told her they are not sub-contractors and are employees of HD.
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:26:04 -0500, "CBHvac"

their own installers but simply find whomever will work cheap and then beat them up more for a lower price.

frank1492 Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

They lied...sorry.
NOI
Thund3rstruck wrote:

Ditto. HD is middle man. Tony

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:44:14 -0500, Thund3rstruck

Yep. Expect crappy work followed by a nightmare trying to get them to do the repairs under warranty. Eventually they'll do something less than great to repair it and you'll never be happy.
MHE,

They lied, or she misunderstood. However, most roofing contractors use the cheapest labor they can get, too. When I had my roof done, I had the feeling that all the workers would run if somebody came to the house and asked for green cards. Pat
I got the same story from HD. Doing a search, I found that HD had purchased Installed Products USA (which I guess is a nationwide roofing company). Does this mean that all of the roofing projects are handled by IPUSA and technically HD employees? HD gave a big song and dance about how they were changing their At Home Services image by buying out the sub-contracted companies that performed well so they would be HD employees with HD standards. Their claim was that they were starting with the roofing group first, then would expand to other services.
I've had a very frustrating time with the "Installation Consultant" (i.e., used car salesman in HD uniform). After all of the promises, when it came to contract time, not everything was listed and those that were listed, were often incorrect - and passed off as either a 'typo' or his retraction saying 'he never said that'.
I hope the sales thing is just that - sales. All sales are nothing more than smoke/mirrors. But assuming the new way of services is correct, are the project managers and workers any better? Does anyone here have any inside experience as to this supposed new HD way?

Thanks for the insight on HD services. Good to know when you are thinking of having something done.

Doesn't HD own an HVAC wholesaler? Couldn't HD provide the equipment to a third party installer?
Brian Elfert
writes:

I have yet to locate firm proof of that. Trane, is owned by American Standard, and they sure dont own them.

They do. Local, registered, licenced (if only for a short time) Trane dealers... Now...if you have ever worked in the trade, seriously, you know that Trane is overpriced for what you get. Imagine if an installer, has to do it for less than normal, with a pretty good chunk of markup going to the real third party...HD. I dunno about you, but if I went to work one day, and was told I got a pay cut, but had to churn out more work, its time to find a new line...

she can expect the cheepest job they (home depot) can get. That means low-end materials, low-end labor, and low end results. A 50 year warranty on the shingles is meaningless. It only covers the shingles if they are properly installed, and even then, only covers the shingles (noth the labor, underlayment, or damage to the structure when the poorly installed shingles leak). As an example, most shingles specify a distance from the edge that nails should be, and a set number of nails per shingle. They also specify the amount of overlap for each row, how much gap to leave at the end of a run, what type of underlayment, roof pitch, etc. the shingle is supposed to be used with. If you don't believe me, go to the Depot, and actually look at a package of shingles. Most brands print it right onthe package.
Now imagine that you're some college kid getting paid 8-10 bucks an hour to install a roof. chances are good its either really hot or really cold (just because thats the way the world works). Just for fun, climb up on your roof and just sit there for an hour or two - you'll be amazed at how cold/hot it gets up there. Now imagine that you have to handle the shingles (they're either frozen or hot enough to burn), place them in exactly the right spot, and put in nails at the right places and the right depth. Remember, this is all for a few bucks an hour...... What quality of work do you *think* they're going to do?
--JD

Sounds like you have definitely been there, JD. Thanks for pointing out the reality of the situation. Hopefully it will make some think before they act.
Whoa whoa whoa, You forgot one thing. #1 Your right Home Depot has no empoyees that do their work. #2 Quality depends on which crew you end up with. #3 Not all people contracted by Home Depot do a lousy job. Some guys in the trades actually take pride in their work. I know they are few and far between but it is true. How to protect yourself from getting shoddy workmanship is another story. It is true some roofers can do a roof in a day with out compromising quality and yet it is true some crews can botch a roof job so bad it will leak more when they are done then before you did anything. The good news is you have the backing of Home Depot and the 2 mill liability insurance they require their contractors to carry. I would know I am one of them!

True, BUT, that is not the way the world works and you know it.

Amen.
2 million? thats all? BTW, if it matters, once HD has your money, you play hell getting satisfaction, whereas a smaller company, that relies on its good reputation, will be willing to fix a botched job much faster. I should know..I have already started to service some of the crap Trane installs done a while back by HD subs..
frank1492 posted for all of us....

to cancel, take advantage of it. Have her ask for references, licenses, insurance. This will most likely prove what the others have said per HD NOT having their own crews. It's her HOME, something not be messed with-called piece of mind.
--
Tekkie

Politicians & diapers are filled with it & both should be changed regularly.

This is Turtle.
the highest price , the lowest quality, and the fastest completion of the job ever. You better talk to your GF.
TURTLE
My sincere thanks to all who have offered their opinions. Despite all the negative comments, she has decided to go ahead with it. I am hoping her experience is close to the better one that a couple of you have reported. It could certainly happen. Frank