Home Depot at home services, any good reports?

hearing an reading so many bad things about the companies homedepot sends. Has anyone been pleased?
They use independent contractors, so your service is a crapshoot. That said, I have been happy with them twice on carpet installation.

I got carpet through HD and they sent out some bozo team to install it. I was not happy with many of the 'tricky' pieces they had to do. I ended up calling HD back to complain a few weeks later and they sent out a different company to fix it up. They did a good job.
About 2 years later, the carpet began to bubble up in a few rooms, so I called back again (lifetime restretching guarantee at HD) and they sent out a different company again to restretch.
So....you can save a few bucks through HD or maybe go with someone who is recommended via word of mouth in your area who just does carpeting and save the hassles?

Had them install countertops. Got it wrong (tilted) but insisted it was ok. Finally had them fix it, but some of their contractors cannot seem to find work on their own, and the reason is beginning to be clear to me. Might work out if you are technically oriented , and are there the whole time the work is being done.

They replaced my carpet 5 years ago, and the installers did an excellent job. We are scheduling again with HD for carpet in our newly finished basement. Around here, HD uses independent installers, they are not employees. The way I figure, no matter where or who you contract for installation services, the quality of the crew is a crap shoot.

They installed countertops for me a couple months ago and did a great job.

*shrug* They're a moderately big warehouse with a lot stuff of randomly distributed quality, conveniently located and only slightly overpriced. If you're after something unusual, or high quality, or your after expertise, they're not for you. If you're after a canned solution to a generic homeowner problem, they're fine.
<snip>

All depends on if you can actually find someone to come and do the work in the first place!
excellent post, robert, you hit the proverbial nail on the head