Home Depot as Installers - question

I think I might answer my own question here, and I'm aware this is a DIY newsgroup - but, what's the general consensus on using HD as installers ? (for say, roofing, fencing, siding, things of that nature).
If they're subbing out the work to low bid local contractors, is HD standing behind the work those subs do ? (ie. with some kind of warranty ?)
For that matter what about Lowes, Sears, etc?
Anyone have personal experience with using them for that kind of work ?
Kenny wrote:

Run away, run away, had them install one window in the kitchen and they no showed three times, called the store, "real sorry". No showed on the fourth time and then we insisted someone come and do the work, they showed up at 7 pm. Sent Nardelli an email and no reply but finally a "quality manager" called us.
NEVER AGAIN!!
My mom used our local HD to have siding put on. There was a Communication barrier between the guys doing the work, (here in Sonoma County California) and my step dad. So there were issues there. They didn't seem to care about the vegetation around the house and trampled lots of things. They Cut through Phone Wires and said it was not their fault. Some of the things they did were 'shortcuts' that made spots look a but funny. My step dad was there to 'oversee' things after thne first day, as what he came home to was not what he had expected.
I believe in the end with precistance they were able to get credit and have things done the right way, but it was a pain to deal with them. The house does look much better, though they would not reccomend them again.
Scott<-

Just say no! They use shitty subs and then give you the runaround when the subs disappear.
Three words: alcoholics, derelicts and fugitives.

One other word. Recalcitrant. -- Oren

I know for a fact that HD failed to follow instructions given by a Realtor. She ordered vinyl flooring; specifically asking, is this glue down? The guy shows up a day after the scheduled date, puts it down with double sided tape and tells her that is the method used.
YAWN. -- Oren

About 75% unsatisfactory experiences with their installers.
Carpet (from Home Depot Expo, the so-called premium division) was abysmal and the store wouldn't stand behind a clearly defective installation. They did OK on a gas water heater, a dish washer-- but managed to mess up washing machine, dryer, and some roofing.
I've taken them off my list!!
On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:53:27 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

I used them just once, for a modest window replacement job.
NEVER AGAIN!
Here are some news videos of Home Depot installation services investigations: http://www.nbc4.tv/homedepotinvestigation/index.html

thanks for the links & other comments from all.
i'm surprised some enterprising lawyer hasn't filed a class action suit against them.
from the looks of it there would be plenty of plaintiffs.

Don't be to surprised. In my area, the lawyers have plenty of work running builders out of town.
They will never find all the thugs that took money from hurricane storm victims in other areas.
-- Oren

Kenny, A few years ago I was doing some handyman work in Houston. I got a call from a lady who had HD hang some wall mounted melamine cabinets in her laundry area. When I got to her home the cabinets had fallen off the wall bending the top loading door of he clothes washer and landing up with a corner piercing the sheet rock on the opposite wall. The installers from HD screwed the cabinet backs into the sheetrock only and never bothered to locate the studs. They caused more consequential damages than the cabinets were worth. Joe G
My mom bought a door and frame from Home Depot, and had them install it. The idiot totally screwed it up, and damaged the door during installation. I was watching and even commented on the shoddy work. He glued the damaged trim and said that he would be back the next day to check on it when the glue dried. We gave him the entire week to show up and fix his screw up. Nada. When Home Depot called to check on the work, mom told them what happened. They said Ohhh that isn't right, and Never did anything about it. I had to get involved and threaten them with BBB and the State Contractors Board. Lo and Behold, they sent a new crew and a new door. Works OK now.
Not impressed at all.

It's a crap shoot. Think about it. HD have thousands of different sub-contractors around the country. HD is a budget operation and hence those are low-price contractors. Your work gets done by a random low-price contractor in your area.
In theory, you have some recourse to HD. In reality it means little since the local store manager has been disempowered and has almost no authority to get anything fixed. You'll just bang your head against a voice mail system until it hurts (your head hurts, I mean).
HD installed a gas water heater. Crew was on time and did a good job. Of course the standard installation fee doubled for this and that but HD ended up giving me a lifetime warranty on the heater even though its a 9 year model. The estimate for a fence was sky high and the cost to install an entry door was too high and I found local people to do those things and am very happy.