Home Depot and Gas Furnace Installation

Hi:
Home Depot sells Trane gas furnaces, and I would like to know if Home Depot has their own people install the furnace or do they subcontract? I remember a commercial a few weeks ago, where they showed a bunch of guys in Home Depot uniforms installing a furnace. Doesn't sound correct and downright silly. I am sure Home Depot can't possibly install the furnace themselves. If they did, the workmanship and installation can't be good.
For those of you who have used Home Depot to install a gas furnace, how was the installation and service? I looked up Trane authorized dealers in my area, but some of them have addresses that don't exist or are PO boxes.They also list Home Depot as an authorized dealer, but they scare me.
I'm sure they subcontract. Also, from the hvac ngs/forums I've been in, there are all kinds of grades of units that a mfr will make, "builder's grade" being the shittiest possible--one of the reasons not to buy anything from a developer. Just try to imagine the grade that HD is selling. If it's anything like their near-useless lumber, watch out.
I had a new Bryant furnace/central A/C system installed, and it is a piece of garbage. A very costly mistake. And I was an HVAC/boiler mechanic, at one time! And, it is almost impossible for a homeowner to defend against the near-inevitable fleecing that awaits, because there are just so many ways to get fleeced, so many variables, that only an insider can really keep track of. It's a major major homework project. It's almost like tryna win at 3-card Monte.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Home Depot subcontract most if not all of this work. It's a crap shoot as to whether you get a good crew or a bad one. But since HD will surely go for the cheapest contractors they can find, the chances are they won't be the best.
I guess a lot of people feel "safe" knowing that they have recourse to HD, a very large company. However, I personally think that HD's commitment to customer service and quality is rather lacking (to put it kindly). Lowes do at least seem to "care", a little.
Personally, I'd suggest finding a local contractor through the recommendation of friends, neighbors, other tradespeople who you might know and trust.

I'm amazed that by now, independent contractors haven't found a way to pitch $$$ into a common fund, and buy some creative advertising to spread the word about Home Depot. What a source of humor it could be!
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Because the big box stores can outgun them with the deep pockets they have. Most people tend to believe constant spin marketing. They actually think the only way to do/buy something is to use a big box place. *EVERYONE* at home depot, best buy whatever is an expert just waiting to help you and even better at the cheapest possible price (and arbys makes great roast beef sandwiches too).

Actually, that's a myth, but the brainwashing is very successful. This is why people think Wal Mart is cheaper for groceries.
Amen. It is rare when you can't beat HD prices. And if you can't, there's generally a very good reason: the HD line is just markedly inferior, esp. in lumber. But boy, that $12K vs $7K price one poster cited is just wild!
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

When it comes to HD if it's on the shelf and you can put it in yourself your fine. Now a special order or installation From my experience good luck. Do yourself a favor shop around

Hire a professional HVAC outfit. One you're friends and neighbors have used and trust. I've heard way too many HD installation horror stories to trust them to do anything on my property.
a friend priced roofing from HD 12 grand
indenpendent contractor 7 grand
home depot is making a excellen profit
I priced but havent bought a furnace yet. the home depot waqs high cost for same trane furnace
I got an estimate from Home Depot, and that was their first mistake. They sent out a rep from a semi-local HVAC dealer who was Mr. Hard Sell all the way: "I can only offer this price today. I can't guarantee the price unless you commit right now. How about I call my manager and we come up with an absolute rock-bottom deal? What do I have to do to sell you this system?"
I told him what he had to do was wait until I'd talked to the other contractors I'd also asked to come by and give me estimates. Glad I did, as it turned out his rock-bottom deal was the highest of all, more than twice the next guy's.
Jo Ann
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

My cousin (single woman) did the same thing. The guy immediately informed her that she was in danger because of her heating system and that it should be totally replaced ASAP. I hooked her up with a reputable guy I know who checked out everything and made some small repairs and adjustments for not a lot of money leaving her with a safe system and money in her wallet.
Too funny! They did that to me, too! Fortunately, I'd already had it inspected and while the inspector felt the furnace was "approaching the end of its useful life" at 30 years old, he was also able to confirm that there was nothing wrong with it yet (aside from inefficiency, which was just the nature of the beast).
I have a son who used to sell cars, and he's trained me well in recognizing a sales pitch when I encounter one.
Jo Ann
George wrote:

If you actually bothered to search the newsgroups for comments from people who have used Home Depot's installatino services you would have already found enough information to avoid using them.
And someone above me said something about their special order stuff being not very good. Please elaborate. I've special ordered several doors (and ordered appliances that they don't stock) from HD and Lowes and never had a problem with them. The fact that I can't see them first and have to wait 6 weeks to get them sometimes has so far been the worst part. However, the quality of the products has always been excellent.
Another HD disciple. Friends w/ Harold on rcm?
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY

Smarty wrote:

It would be next to impossible to do it any other way. They don't pay the contractors much (just like they treat their employees) so the contractor is going to give that level of service and they go for the upcharge so maybe they can have fries with that burger for lunch.
Just look at how they man--or don't man--their cash registers. Sez it all. Fuck you, the consumer.
--
------
Mr. P.V.\'d (formerly Droll Troll), Yonkers, NY