home depot

I was in WalMart yesterday. We got in line at the regular checkout and I watched to see who was last in line for the self checkout to see what the time difference was. What I saw was a couple of amateurs taking their time, chatting, looking over the merchandise and in general taking about 50% longer than the paid clerk. It was a toss up. I beat two of the self check lines, the other two beat me. One needed assistance and for all I know, they may still be there. Like most things in like, "it all depends"

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The Wal Mart here has a truly stupid thing going on. You know the way some cash registers make a little beep every time something is scanned, so the cashier knows it worked? In the store here, they've somehow run that sound through the PA system over the registers, at rather high volume. Some wanker must've thought it sounded festive or something. It's intensely annoying.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hint: Check out at the sporting goods counter. There is never a line and they'll take anything. I tell my wife to buy me a box of ammo and check out there. ;-)

Reply to
Keith

Or items that may contain a "security device".

The last time I uses a self-checkout, it was for some LED holiday lights. It worked OK THAT time.

I go to Wal-Mart a lot (there's a store less than a mile from my house). I usually avoid the self-checkout. There's too many problems like those "criminal" devices (the ones they always call "inventory control", but still make it sound like you're being accused of something) and various unscannable items.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I don't know about sporting goods, but at the electronics counters at Wal-Mart they seem more lilely to forget to deactivate the "criminal assumption" devices.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd