home depot

Page 7 of 7

In many ways, it is a matter of expectations. That is why I am rarely disappointed at HD. I don't expect much. In a couple of areas - paints and tools - there are several older guys who are pretty knowledgeable and helpful And it has resulted in some major purchases (table saw, air compressor, nail guns). In other areas, I know not to ask anything beyond "do you carry xyz?"
For anything beyond commodities in the electrical and plumbing areas, I got to specialty stores. The same for more specialized woodworking tools/supplies and any wood products other than "2 by" lumber and plywood.

What bothers me is that they don't support the product liens that they sell. I was in HD recently looking for replacements washers for a Delta faucet. I bought the faucet from them a few years ago. They still carry a similar product. But when I couldn't find the replacement washers among a wall of faucet repair items, the assistant told me that they don't stock Delta parts and I should order it from Delta's web site.

I agree, but I don't think that is is so much tell customers what to buy as it is that they focus so intensely on immediate profit. If a product line is not moving, it is off the shelves very quickly.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most about the whole Home Depot phenom is that people actually get mad about it. Simple rule of capitalism, something people don't quite remember once they leave their six-figure job for the week - YOU GET EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR. If you're going to pay someone (frequently people with less-than-stellar skills and abilities) minimum wage to do a job, you're not going to get much out of them. I often see associates (I lay tile part-time) on the phone, hanging around in groups, and generally being unhelpful. Doesn't bother me at all when I realize that they're being paid minimum wage. If you want people to be great at their jobs, give them a reason to do them well. But that brings us back to the roots of capitalism once again . . . Also, you can't rightly complain about the quailty/tier of merchandise. It's like Wal-Mart. If you want high-quality goods, go somewhere that actually takes pride in the product over the profits. Aside from all that stuff, I don't like the way HD's are laid out. The plywood aisles are too narrow - they should just take the middle 3 or 4 rows of the store and blow them out to all lumber. That would be amazing. Lumber, underlayments, ductwork, major plumbing pieces right in the middle with an express lane or two to round it out. I guess they'd need to put some profits toward improving the actual company, though . . .
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:08:54 -0500, "SeaKan"

Prices are too high and you dont carry alot of common stuff. Too much catering to high end fancy stuff. For example, I wanted some common replacement wood frame barn windows. All HD had were costly vinyl windows with all sorts of features that I did not need.
I find Menards much more to my liking, much more geared to the average farmer or homeowner, and better priced too.
Mark
SeaKan wrote:

An "associate" is an entry-level attorney with a median salary of $100,000 - they don't know how to use caps either.
On to some peeves:
Does some monkey always have to always have to close off the *only* aisle that has what I drove all the way here to buy with those silly toddler gates "for my safety"?
And when I asked about the common size Shop-Vac bags that were out of stock, the guy checked the computer and found they weren't even on order. It seems, he said, that corporate decides how many of certain items a store needs, so they have too much of some stuff, not enough of others.
All the tools, hardware, and gadgets you sell come in BOXES, right?
So why not a stack of empty boxes here and there so I can package all the small items I need like caulk and pipe fittings and other stuff that rolls off the bottom shelf of the lumber cart I'm transporting 2x10s to the checkout with?
HD is set up for either large items that fit the lumber carts, or small shopping cart stuff - but I always buy BOTH at the same time!
And speaking of all those boxes that undoubtedly get consigned to the crusher, how about recycling a few at the checkout - joist hangers are the natural enemy of those useless plastic bags you people try to pack them in.
Bob (but not THAT Bob) wrote:

A bookstore customer of mine gets books from a wholesaler delivered daily - from ten to as many as 75 standard-sized boxes of books per day.
They knock the boxes down, place them in an old poster rack, and sell them for fifty cents each.
The money goes into a Christmas Party fund for the employees. Every year, a NICE party.