home depot

Page 1 of 7
i work at an hd. just an associate. what are your biggest pet peeves about hd? anything in particular?

Most of my peeves come when I either can't find an associate, which is usually a staffing issue, or when I do find one and s/he doesn't know enough about the product(s) or have enough how-to knowledge to help me...
Kyle Boatright ( snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) said...

I find that one often enough. If I need the associate to get something from an upper shelf, I find that if I start to move one of those stairs on wheels, someone usually comes pretty quickly! ;-)

While I have run into associates who are lacking in the product knowledge area (I recently needed a cut piece of 14/2 BX cable -- when I asked for 3 metres of 14/2 BX he responded, "BX?" -- not a good sign!), my bigger peeve is quite the opposite.
I usually just need someone to get something from an upper shelf (see my solution above!). Since HD prides itself in hiring associates with trade knowledge, every idiot who can't spend an hour reading a book or looking on web pages or in Usenet have to monopolize associates' time with questions that are answered in books usually on display within a few yards of where they are asking the questions.
I just need a ladder-climber, sometimes one with a little strength.
But I have to wait for Mr. Idiot to ask his 423 questions to the associate (if I'm lucky -- usually there are five Mr. Idiots with just as many questions ahead of me!).
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Down here they'd say "3 meters?"
Nick

Don't you mean tres metros?
: )
--
John

John wrote:

9 feet, 10-1/8 inches and the heck with it.
snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu ( snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu) said...

LOL!
I live in Canada -- also known as the world leader in half-assed switch to metric!
Our building codes are all metric now, but most trades work in imperial sizes (16" O/C, 4' width sheets, etc). Home Depot sells cut wire by the metre, but cut chain is by the foot. Plywood comes in 4'x8' sheets, but the thicknesses are in millimetres (though, they tend to label them in inches, but 3/4" is now 23/32" since that is closer to the 18 mm that it really is!).
Road signs are all metric, but the railroads use miles and miles-per-hour. Weather forcasts primarilly give Celcius temperatures, but often mention Farenheit. Baking instructions primarilly give Farenheit temperatures, but sometimes mention Celcuis.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
Calvin Henry-Cotnam wrote:

Been there, done that....
But, sometimes you get lucky and the questioner is a yummy mummy and you can kill time by running some of your pet tool using fantasies in your "minds eye" while you're watching and listening. <G>
Happy Holidays,
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia writes:

Just where is this well-staffed store located?
Well I don't know about were your at but in the US there is no BX anymore the old BX with that tiny bare ground wire was out lawed and replaced with MC cable which has a real ground conductor .

J.D.wrote:

That might not have been necessary if someone had come up with a good connector that made a solid, reliable connection to the armor. Is EMT still a proper ground or is that going to fall by the wayside at some point as well?
Or the character to acknowledge they DON'T know the answer.
On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:16:12 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"

Kyle Boatright wrote:

sounds more like a payscale problem
SeaKan wrote:

Ditto Boatright's complaint plus aisles filled with "stuff".
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.
dadiOH wrote:

Ditto those two, but add to that the problem of $!#$^!%!@#^!@#! morons pawing through the shelves like friggin monkeys and leaving parts in the wrong boxes, on the floor, empty boxes... Plumbing is one of the worst isles in almost every HD I've been in. It's not exactly the store's fault, but maybe a better staffed plumbing dept would help stupid people find things before they make a mess of things, and thus make it harder for the next person to find what they need.
Oh yeah, in regards to the "stuff" clogging the isles... does anyone really buy that crap that gets put on display or is is just put out there as a Darwin-ish test to allow the better cart-drivers to get to the checkout line more quickly?
almost forgot: poor quality lumber. I ALWAYS have pick through the 2x4's to find decent ones, this is not the case with places like 84 Lumber.
SeaKan wrote:

I would like to see lines of higher quality products along with consumer information explaining why they are better and more expensive.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I hate it when personnel finish helping a customer, and then don't look around to see if there might be another customer who needs assistance. Make eye contact or ask. Don't just wander away like a mental patient who's largely sedated.
Doug Kanter ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) said...

Half way through reading these posts, I am struck by the thought that most are American. What is amazing about this is that Canadian retailers have Americans beat when it comes to lousy service.
Almost every time I have been in an American store (or restaurant, but let's not open that can of worms!) the people working in the store are very noticably better at making the effort to make sure you have the help you need. I'm not saying they are perfect, just that they are so much better at doing it that it is very noticable.
By all means, keep complaining when it is deserved - it is the only way good service can get better. But if you really want to see lousy service raised to an art form, come to Canada and visit just about any big box retailer.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam