Home Depot: 50% higher on plumbing??

Awl --
Yes indeedy. A heads up to all the diy-ers out there.
Cursed me has to do some brass plumbing. So I bought a shitpile of it at HD, was absolutely flabbergasted at the prices. Didn't use any of it, until I went to my local place, and holy shit, what a difff.... You still need smelling salts when checking out at the local place, but ogle this:
3/4" close: $5 HD, 3.50 local 3/4x2" 7.88 HD, $450 local 3/4 T: $9 HD, $6.50 local 1/2" ball valve: 9 HD, 8 local 1" ball valve: 19 HD, 16 local
Teflon: $1.09-1.22, 60c locally.
Etc.
HD was a smidgeon cheaper on 3/8 tubing, but might have been thinner, shittier.
I bought a fair amount of black pipe fittings, for the genset gas installation, but haven't compared them to the local place. Will do that shortly, and report back
So there ya go. Shocking, eh? But it actually figgers -- HD can essentially charge what it wants, and there's not much you can do about it. Unless you do some sleuthing.
When I return the BAGS full of fittings, I'm going to call the manager over, and tell him exactly why I'm returning his overpriced shit.
My strategy is now this: anything I'm experimenting with, which requires a lot of "CYA purchases", ie, more than you will finally need, I do at home depot, and just return all the overage. Or, if the experiment didn't turn out, or if I can return iverything (trial run, whatever), I'll return everything and re-buy from the local guy, once by then I'll know what I"m doing. Shit that I know I'm going to use, I buy locally. And stuff that I need help with, like small faucett stuff, I'll buy locally.
Fuck Home Depot, cuz now that HD fucked the mom/pop hardware industry, now it's time to fuck you. And they are, en masse. Ditto Staples, McD's, all the rest. You can go to a decent diner for not much more than that shit at McDs. -- EA

This isn't too shocking.
Unless you need some really generic stuff, HD won't have it anyways. They do have better hours than the local plumbing or electrical supply shops though.
Luckily, there's three old school hardware and industrial supply stores within long walking distance of work, plus the plumbing supply house. If I need something M-F from 7:30 to 4:30pm, great, outside those hours it's a trip to HD, and then back to the real places the next day.
Then of course if you want chicken wire, warped 2x4s you won't feel bad about chopping up and imitation TSP, gloves and a light bulb, HD is pretty good. Even a good Ace will take you for serious ride on stuff like that.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:39:38 -0500, "Existential Angst"

It all comes down to how much you're spending. Not smart, but that's how it works for most people. If I'm buying a few t's, el's and nipples for a water heater I go to the closest place that has them. If I'm doing something that adds up to +$100, I shop prices. Always liked the local hardware stores, or the Aces's, but they have low visibility or are too far away. Good on you for noticing how easy it is to get nickle-dimed to death. Of course many local ma's and pa's will rape you if you let them. Caveat Emptor.
On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 05:25:04 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Make your case for buying at HD prices given the info above. Wait. Here's a better idea. Go fuck yourself.
Existential Angst wrote:

So you finaly discovered that HD/Lowes/etc. isn't cheap? What a surprise...
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Existential Angst wrote:

You need a post to figure out that people selling screws and nails in little plastic bags are more expensive than a home-grown hardware store selling (used to) them by the pound?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

When HD first opened, a lot of hardware was sold by the pound. I would buy drywall screws 5 or 10 pounds at a time, from bulk but you could buy a 50 pound box.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

A lot of people have him kill filed on RCM for being so ignorant.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Did he tell you that he tried to give himself a lobotomy with a drill press? He broke three masonry bits before the motor burnt up.
Gunner wrote:

It's about damn time you got back to work! May many more contracts follow you home, where you can knock them over the head & sign them before they can escape. ;-)

It can be a tough choice sometimes. I was going to buy a miter saw in the $300 price range. The price at the local hardware/lumber store was $30 higher and the one at HD also offered a free RO sander with it. I asked the local guy to give me a break and split the difference and he would not budge. Well, $30 and a free sander (worth about $30) took me to HD for the buy. Much as I like to support local stores, they have to make an effort. I don't know what the markup is for the saw, but making $15 less is better than making $0.
We priced a dryer at HD, but bought at a local store and paid $25 more. They both offer delivery and carting away the old appliance, but the local guy I trust to do the hookup and installation so to me, well worth the extra few bucks.