Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 9 of 10

I share in the blame. I buy a lot of stuff at Walmart.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

So who is to "blame"? Walmart or the consumers who demanded a cheaper knife?
Who is to blame, the store that lost it's business is to blame. Blaming others has never been a good excuse for why a business fails. Again I mention, near me an old hardware store with lots of big competition, they beat the competition prices and service, and they are constantly expanding. Competing does not just mean cheaper. Service goes a long way and if the store does not provide a compeditive alternative attraction they will go under.
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:21:45 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Pilot hole should be 3/16"
Regards,
I use the local farm supply stores or hardware stores for most of that stuff. Usually cheaper too.

I have had a lot of problem with Hillman screws and fasteners breaking easily. HD has a lot of Hillman product on the shelf.
I had a similiar experience, with a Home Cheepo bolt. Problem was, I was trying to atach the lower bracket of an alternator, on my van. The bolt sheared off. I had not torqued it very much. 3/8 drive wrench, no extender bar, and not even much muscle power. Not with any real torque. I decided to leave it there, and eventually junked the van.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Should have been using a grade 8 bolt.

Not necessarily. I had a similar problem, likewise, an alternator on a van engine. In my case, the entire top of the alternator hung off the extended bolt shaft. I changed to a grade 8 bolt and it snapped right off from vibration within a couple days, the grade 8 being too brittle. Went back to a grade 5.
nb
I like t his group. Lot of first hand wisdom. Maybe grade 5 was the way to go. Sigh. Well, the van has been junked, ages ago. I guess for the next time, I'll try grade 5, and let the class know how it worked out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep. People don't understand that when you harden steel you're narrowing the margin between yield strength and ultimate tensile strength. Get it hard enough and there's no yield at all--it doesn't move until it breaks, where a weaker bolt will bend just a tiny amount and relieve stresses, and incidentally work harden a tiny bit in the process.

Bend like the willow, don't break like the oak.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

'Ya know, I sheared off a 1/4" machine bolt I bought from HD a half a dozen years ago. Same deal, was tightening it up, just past snug, when it turned to butter.
I figured it was a fluke, but maybe this last go round will be enough to convince me to steer clear of the bright shiny objects in the grabit bins.
Jon

All is relative. Grade bolt, pilot hole, lengh of wrench handle, strength of operator, number of beers, etc. Frankly, I was surprised to hear of such a thing as a 1/4" lag bolt.
http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/lag-bolt-pilot-hole.htm http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/stainless-bolts/SSLag_bolts14.htm
nb

wow.... they rec a 7/32 pilot hole for hardwood!
The stainless fasteners link seems to have good prices.
--
EA

> http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html
> http://www.stainless-fasteners.com/stainless-bolts/SSLag_bolts14.htm
Jon Danniken wrote:

If I need any quantity of hardware I drive right past Lowes and go 5 miles further to the good old hardware store. I'm not so sure the low grade stuff is any better, but it's surely less expensive! And if I buy the grade 5 or 8 stuff, I know it's also a lot less expensive. Just last week I was buying some 1/2" x 4" bolts and mentioned to the cashier (who is also one of the brothers that own the store) how I passed Lowes to get there. They were $1.18 and he knocked off the 18 cents to make them $1 each. Later stopped at Lowes for something else and checked their bolt prices. The same 1/2" x 4" bolt at Lowes, $2.34.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId5753-37672-880060&lpage=none

I had that happen to me helping my friend build a deck using bolts from the big box store. We snapped two of them off. Thats when I turned my friend on to Howes Hardware. Best place I know of for industrial quality fastenerd..
Jimmie

A quality lag bolt would have split the wood.

Heh....
Now that's a great debate. Wood vs metal. On its surface it seems simple, but....
Gentlemen, take your mark! ;)
nb
Steve B wrote:

A quality lag bolt was purchased (stainless steel, US made) from a fastener store. The lag bolt was tightened up securely, but the wood is not split
Got any other "theories" Steve?
Jon