Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

I know a kid who went through something similar. Apparently, they're allowed a certain amount of time to phone family. Well, this kid was never particularly polite to his mother, to put it mildly. This day on the phone, he was being especially obnoxious with her. That was the first and last mistake he made in the Marines, because his drill sergeant was standing silently right behind him as he talked to mom. His mother told me later that the kid was having "a rough time" in the Marines afterward. The sergeant made sure of that in every way he could.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The numbers are based on maximizing holding power, not making a crap fastener survive being driven. They state the assumptions, which are 35,000 PSI yield and 77,000 PSI UTS, slightly higher than required for a Grade 1 bolt.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Are you saying that the properties of wood have changed so radically in the last 30 years that lag screws hold differently in them now? Because the recommendations are not about allowing you to use crap screws without breaking them while driving, they are about sticking wood together so it stays stuck.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Quite obviously, HD customers that don't know better.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------

The 80/20 rule applies.

Having said that, what makes you think that the "bin" contents even meet grade 2 specs?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We'll be sure to let you know _if_ you succeed. ;)

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

That depends on the store. I've got a couple of _very_good_ hardware stores that happen to be part of the ACE co-op nearby. And a first class one that joined up with TruValue. They've got people that -know- what they're talking about, _and_ carry a lot of stuff that is not the Ace/TruValue house label.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

KeithW and krw are the same person. Well, as much as anyone at home and work can be the same. ;-)

Too easy.

Reply to
krw

I've been in two that were quite good (both in the Poughkeepsie NY area). All others have been pretty unremarkable.

Reply to
krw

What does a purchasing co-op have to do with the quality of an individual store?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Well yes actually. Wood with wider growth rings as oppose to narrower more compact gowth rings, which were more available many years back, may yield different results today.

Because the

Reply to
Leon

A pretty high percentage of ALL small businesses fail, and it's not always because of competition. Why should hardware stores be any different?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:0009967d$0$2153 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Bastards!

Reply to
Red Green

Won't that be reflected in the density though?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sure, but that's another issue. I was happy when HD came to town. It made the local lumber yards (2) and Ace Hardware look like the pitiful places they were (yes, a HD was nice in comparison). The three went out of business shortly. Good riddance. AIUI two Lowes are opening up in the area now. I much prefer Lowes, but shop at both.

Reply to
krw

Lakshi Mittal controls 10% of the steel made in the world.

Ed Pawlowski

Oh no.... not at all.

Reply to
Leon

You're sure?

Reply to
J. Clarke

It does but has the property of attracting moisture, hence causing rust, which on a 1/4" lag bolt probably won't ruin it...

I have a 1/2 gallon yogurt container I put a few wax toilet bowl rings. I stick screws and bolts in that, keep a smaller old prescription container filled for more "portable" use.

And on fine work, I might switch to paste wax because I can clean it up easier.

It makes my cordless drill battery last much longer, and I don't twist off lag bolts even when from Home Depot.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

I hadn't thought of toilet bowl wax. Neat idea!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon