Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 6 of 10

We'll be sure to let you know _if_ you succeed. ;)
On 2009-12-16 08:53:25 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
And Ace and TruValue don't count.
said:

Why not?
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:24:15 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

A few of them might count, but the only resemblance of an Ace or TV to a real hardware store is purely unintentional.
said:

That really depends on how they're run by the individual owners. The one I use is pretty remarkable.
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:22:17 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I've been in two that were quite good (both in the Poughkeepsie NY area). All others have been pretty unremarkable.
said:

A pretty high percentage of ALL small businesses fail, and it's not always because of competition. Why should hardware stores be any different?
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:01:34 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Sure, but that's another issue. I was happy when HD came to town. It made the local lumber yards (2) and Ace Hardware look like the pitiful places they were (yes, a HD was nice in comparison). The three went out of business shortly. Good riddance. AIUI two Lowes are opening up in the area now. I much prefer Lowes, but shop at both.

I see you're in Indianapolis too... What do *you* consider to be "actual hardware stores" here, then, if Ace and TV don't count?

That depends on the store. I've got a couple of _very_good_ hardware stores that happen to be part of the ACE co-op nearby. And a first class one that joined up with TruValue. They've got people that -know- what they're talking about, _and_ carry a lot of stuff that is not the Ace/TruValue house label.
Steve wrote:

What does a purchasing co-op have to do with the quality of an individual store?
Lew

Any real hardware store.

I keep seeing this answer.... what does that mean exactly? Not piling on you but what exactly defines a "real" hardware store, and does that guarantee that the "real" hardware store will also not have crap?
MeFeeleys is generally considered a reputable source for fasteners, I agree for wood screws and graded nuts and bolts however I have bought some pretty cheesy ungraded machine screws from McFeeleys, I have had several break from 100 pack box.
I also agree that the big box chains are probably not the best source for screws but if you buy name brand screws from those stores you are going to get better quality. While I steer away from prepackaged plastic bags of screws from those type stores I have never had a problem with larger bolts and lag screws providing they had proper sized pilot screws.

McFeely's may be a great source, but sometimes you need fasteners NOW. Not tomorrow.

For many years now I have been buying from McFeeleys, but only to restock what I have used from my inventory. I typically order 500-1,000 screws from them once or twice a year. MUCH handier to have it on hand that to go the store and buy them and are typically better quality.

My two-time experiences with McFeeleys has been very positive. Prices, while generally higher, are not painful and the products that I've purchased were exactly what I needed. Unlike the machine screws that I'd purchased prior from OSH (a formerly GREAT hardware store but ruined by Sears -- a curse from the gahds on that corporate bastion of greed and averice) which sheered with the slightest pressure making a simple job not, I'll order from McFeeleys when I'm able to plan a job out.
The Ranger
Snip .

The screws I ordered from McFeeleys and had problems with were 1/8" machine screws and that was 10+ years ago and they were not graded. When in doubt give them a call, they will not steer you wrong. I did not need a quality fastener at the time but was surprised that they were no better than the typical no name Borg screws.
I do like McFeeleys, I have probably 2-3 thousand of their wood screws on hand at any particular time.

Hey Range! I didn't know you could drive a nail. ;)
nb

Are you kidding?! Wait for warmer weather? Spawn's one of them-thar polar b'ahrs. She loves the Pacific in winter.
The Ranger

I had the same experience. I have never been disappointed by their regular screws, but I did get a crappy box of dowel screws from them once. I called them on it and they offered me the opportunity to return them at my expense. ( I was underwhelmed).
Buyer beware. Just because McFeeleys stocks it, it does not make it quality.