Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 4 of 10

And why not angle parking, straight in parking does not save any more space as you need wider lanes.
The Henrietta, NY Home Depot, I won't even go in there. The parking lot requires three or four "crank the wheel all the way" to get around the parking lot medians and dividers. The Victor NY store isn't so bad.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I hope you're kidding, but I suspect you're not.
Try it sometime.... Jefferson Road, just east of E. Henrietta Road. If my memory is working, as to where the store is. Might be between the Henrietta Roads. It's a miserable PIA to get in and out of the lot. The one on West Ridge is MUCH easier to get in and out.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

My long wheelbase panel van, it's an event. I live closer to the Victor store, anyhow. It's only a couple miles to Lowe's.
To answer your question, though. Five or so miles. I try to plan trips ahead of time, and thier miserable parking lot is a real nonplusser. Same with Goodwill ABVI in Victor. Too many tight turns.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Smitty Two wrote:

No, an 1/8" is actually too small for a 1/4" (size 14) screw:
http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/woodscrewpilotholes.htm
Jon

You are right -- they are not tapered. Heh, you just may grasp climb cutting sooner than I predicted!
The root diameter on a 1/4" lag is almost exactly 3/16. A 1/8" pilot would cause about 1/32" (.032) compression, "on the radius" -- which, if too much, is a whole lot better than *no pilot*, which is what proly 95% of people do.
Proly the pilot size would depend on the wood and on the grain orientation, as well. But as I think about it, and look at a lag bolt, mebbe a pilot closer to 3/16 than 1/8 IS appropriate, esp. for long lag bolts. Mebbe 11/64.
--
EA

Smitty Two wrote:

Bah, it was I who needed more coffee. What I meant to say was that 1/8" is actually too *large* for a 1/4" (size 14) screw.
Of course, that is for a wood screw, which I do realize now uses a slightly smaller hole than does a lag screw.
Jon
Jon Danniken wrote:

Okay, then it's not just me that has that problem with lag bolts from Home Depot. I've become anal about drilling pilot holes that are long enough and large enough diameter to deal with these crappy lag bolts.
Where can you buy good quality lag bolts though?

McFeeley's is good.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Sounds like a store that sell adult........never mind.
TDD

Got an actual hardware store in your town?

Proly not.
--
EA

WTF is a "proly"?

Proly = Probably, What is WTF? ;~)
Leon wrote:
What is WTF? ;~)
Among other things, it's a blanket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

LOL..... Kim bought my mother a WTF blanket for Christmas. You know I will have to stir the s__t, I'll be sure and show her. Maybe not, now that I have had a few seconds to think about that. ;~)

Now they have some thing where the the commercial mocks the WTF? blanket about how the feet are not covered. This "better" one is closed at the bottom. So basically this mutated WTF blanket is a kids indoor sleeping bag with arms.