Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 3 of 10

Leon wrote:

It works out great, Leon, once I purchased lag bolts that weren't from the bulk bin at Home Depot. The bolts are currently holding up a home-made welded bracket, which in turn is holding up my bathroom sink.
The sink itself weighs maybe 20 or 30 pounds, so I tested the bracket by holding myself up with it, and it didn't budge.
Jon
Leon wrote:

The numbers are based on maximizing holding power, not making a crap fastener survive being driven. They state the assumptions, which are 35,000 PSI yield and 77,000 PSI UTS, slightly higher than required for a Grade 1 bolt.
J. Clarke wrote:

Indeed...thanks for saving me the effort... :)
Now if I just hadn't made the swap of sense in the relative sizes... :(

I wonder if that material was written in modern years or 30 plus. I see lag screw failures galore.
Leon wrote:

Are you saying that the properties of wood have changed so radically in the last 30 years that lag screws hold differently in them now? Because the recommendations are not about allowing you to use crap screws without breaking them while driving, they are about sticking wood together so it stays stuck.

Well yes actually. Wood with wider growth rings as oppose to narrower more compact gowth rings, which were more available many years back, may yield different results today.
Because the

Leon wrote:

Won't that be reflected in the density though?

Oh no.... not at all.
Leon wrote:

You're sure?
FWIW, my neighbor asked me and another neighbor to hang her new LCD TV set, using an arm bracket. Without going into detail, we needed (4) 1/4" X 6" lags to get the job done really solid. I sized the pilot hole myself, using the MK22 eyeball device in my head, and by the way, the hole was drilled with a 5" long bit.
2 of the blasted things torqued off, meaning that we had to adjust the height of the bracket to remount it. They are a POS and it'll be a cold day in Hades before I use anything like that in a project.
--
Nonny

"Tom Watson" wrote:

SFWIW, I use 75% of fastener size for the pilot hole size rounded to nearest standard size drill which can be either fractional, letter, or number size.
YMMV
Lew
On 12/16/2009 03:21, Jon Danniken wrote:

Without having them tested how would you know? You are pretty much guaranteed that the fasteners you can buy there are the lowest quality they you can possibly buy.
You can get much better quality (and actually pay less) at industrial supply houses.

Which is the mantra of all predatory organizations. Even the parking at HD is ill-thought out.
--
EA

> You can get much better quality (and actually pay less) at industrial
.

That varies from store to store. The one closest to me is quite good as for layout. What is a PIA is that parking spaces have been getting smaller and smaller.When you pull in to a parking spot, in a Subaru Impreza, and have to be careful not to hit the car next to you with your door as you get out, it's getting a bit tight. The spacing between rows is getting smaller too. In my F250, I have to park out in "no mans land". I can see the day when it will be impractical to park anything larger than a motorized skateboard.

That also varies from store to store (they don't always own the buildings or the land). When I lived in VT I rarely went into the WallyWorld because the lot was crazy. HD shared the same lot but that end wasn't as busy so was less of a human obstacle course. Stores in NE OH had no such problems, nor do the ones here in AL.

Sounds like Williston VT.

Undoubtedly; I think that's the only place in VT where WallyWorld and HD share a parking lot. (I think the only other city with both stores is Rutland.) And yes, it's a horrid parking lot layout.
For those who are morbidly curious, the two stores are at opposite ends of this lot, which has unbroken lanes running from store to store with perpendicular parking. The two entrances/exits to the lot are at the corners where the stores and the parking lot meet, so that the only way to enter or exit the lot (by vehicle) is to drive along the fire lanes where other shoppers are trying to navigate to or from their cars. Why on earth they didn't have a single car entrance/exit lane across the middle away from the pedestrians is a great mystery to me.
Or, if you're a visual sort of person, see the madness from above: <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Wal-mart,&sl lD.441969,-73.120193&sspn=0.001819,0.003208&ie=UTF8&radius=0.08&rq=1&ev =zi&hq=Wal-mart,&hnear=&llD.441716,-73.12025&spn=0.001819,0.003208&t=h& z>
--
Andrew Erickson

Is there another HD in VT? Didn't the Rutland HD close?

Would you like me to drive from NC to find out for you or do you want Keithw to go from AL to check?
Store locator tab, nahhhhhh...

KeithW and krw are the same person. Well, as much as anyone at home and work can be the same. ;-)

Too easy.