Home Depot 1/4" Lag Screw

Page 1 of 10

I tightened up a 1/4" lag screw that I bought from Home Depot earlier this evening. It was screwed into 1.5" fir after pre-drilling with a 1/8" pilot hole.
After it bottomed out, I turned it just a little bit more, holding a 3/8" ratchet handle close to the shaft, not out on the handle. I wasn't giving it much torque, just making sure that it was secure, when it turned to butter.
It was less torque tha I have used in the past to tighten drywall screws.
Here is the result:
http://i45.tinypic.com/35i981s.jpg
On the plus side, it was really easy to drill a little hole in the piece that is still left in the wood (the hole is for the EZ out).
I'm actually glad that this came apart on me; at least I know to get some halfway decent ones now before something failed with more catastrophic results.
Be careful what you build with the fasteners you buy from the bulk bin at Home Depot.
Jon

Even better, don't buy fasteners at Home Depot. If you want quality, go to an industrial supply house or order from McFeelys.com
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I called McFeelys and all Fasteners they sell are made in CHINA
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
wrote in message >

Which has been a fact for a very long time, maybe 10+ years. Still they sell quality China screws. If everything from China was crap, there would be more Americans manufacturing products.

That in and of itself does not mean they are bad. China is very capable of making high quality parts if you are willing to pay for it. McFeelys has been very aware and has better specifications better than other places.
On 12/16/2009 08:59 AM, evodawg wrote:

What are you smoking? They sell spax, which are made in Germany.
Chris
wrote in message >

So?

I'm pretty sure that all of the standard fasteners at HD are made of quite soft metal. I have run into the same problem using lag screws on deck framing. If they get a little warm from friction, the heads twist right off. HD have some hardened bolts, but they are as expensive as if you had bought them at Fastenal. I agree that HD is not the place to buy fasteners - aside from the fact that HD charges quite a lot for their fasteners.
Andrew wrote:

And their "bin" machine screws are Grade 2 not Grade 5... who uses Grade 2 for anything?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Quite obviously, HD customers that don't know better. <wry grin>
Somebody wrote:
-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------
The 80/20 rule applies.
Having said that, what makes you think that the "bin" contents even meet grade 2 specs?
Lew
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 03:41:39 -0800, Andrew wrote:

I've found it's worth checking them rather than blindly picking them up - I've seen screws from different places that are listed as the same thing, but sometimes they have narrower shafts and are prone to shearing. Thankfully my local farm supply place seems to be consistently good...
Jon Danniken wrote:

Around here, Tractor Supply has pretty good fasteners, including grade 8 if your function calls for that. Farmers don't like to do the same repair job twice, I guess. -- aem sends...

Yeah, grade 8 in a lag screw is probabably not going to exist. You will not see a farmer using a lag screw to repair a tractor, I hope. LOL

Of course not. It's like any other business: having machinery down costs money. At harvest time, a down machine can cost _a lot_ of money.

And there are liability issue concernes. A good mechanic will use grade 8 or better so that when he is preplacing a bolt it is at least as strong as the original. I was stocking grade 8, 30 years ago for automotive repairs at an Olds dealership.
Leon wrote:

Be careful using Grade 8. They're strong but they're also brittle. Don't use them for applications where there are likely to be shock loads.
J. Clarke wrote:

You mean like Cylinder Heads?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Typically head bolts are very application specific and are typically made "torque to yield". I am not sure I have ever seen a common head bolt used from common bolt stock.

Torque to yield, on a head bolt???? Not something I've ever seen... OTOH, I drive old cars; the newest one I've ever had an engine apart on is my 85 Dodge pickup, about four years ago. Is that something [relatively] new?