Home computer problem

You're right that keeping stuff in memory is a good idea - although hard drives buffer so well that recently accessed data, like lookup tables, aren't being read from the disk each time and really are like being in RAM.
Remember when RAM disks were a big hit? We had so much memory (640k!) that we could spare some of it to use as a virtual disk. Or was that the entended (expanded?) memory between the 640 and the 1 mb line? I forget.
Win7 makes great use of memory; it looks like it's all in use because Windows is using it while it would otherwise be idle. That's good programming, not being a memory hog. Oh, the Linux folks say, look at how much memory it uses! Well, yes, and it gives it back when some program actually needs it.
Win7 is a really good OS.

I put a loaded AST 6-pack in my original IBM PC and created a RAM drive at boot up, so I remember it. Think it cost me about $600 too. Forgot most of the DOS and memory configuration stuff since Windows left DOS as its underpinning. XP? Some folks like to play with old stuff, but not me.

I haven't looked at mem usage in Win7 after maybe the first week I installed it. Mostly to see how the quad core displayed it in the task manager. One son who was born after my first PC now guides me on PC selection when I upgrade, which is as seldom as possible. I end up deciding what I want, but he gets me on the right path quickly as far a processor. I never even looked into Linux, since I'm a gamer. Same with my kid. But he has a DOS box and uses DOS emulators so he can play old games. I just don't like horsing around to find drivers, endless tweaking, etc. Used to, but not any more. The Linux vs. Windows extravaganza reminds me of Chevy vs. Honda or AMD vs. Intel. Lots of fanaticism. The kid is also an over clocker and Intel "fan" vs AMD. He's set records overclocking chips using liquid hydrogen. A couple days ago he was over here and opened a box that came from ebay. Had about 10 different processors for him to burn up. Anyway, he'd be over here sometimes telling me about this argument or that argument and how he smoked some "asshole AMD fanboy." He'd get all hot cussing and comparing this chip against that chip. I'd tell him to calm down, it ain't worth getting your blood pressure up. A few times I just told him just shut the #$&@ up, you're boring me with this !@*$. That's worked best. Looks like the war between AMD and Intel is over, since he hardly talks about it any more.

Yup, has been for me. Been using the 64-bit for over a year and it's run anything I've thrown at it, no tweaking necessary. No hard reboots required.
--Vic

advantage
on
code
statements,
you
identical
35
Anyone remember 386ToTheMax? - you could squeeze a lot of extra RAM out of the machine if you were willing to use programs like 386ToTheMax to load drivers in to high memory. IIRC, extended was the range from 640K and expanded was memory on add-in cards that a very few program could use natively (I think it was a drawing program, but ICRS.) However EMS could be configured as a huge (for the time) RAM disk (up to 2MB, IIRC, maybe 4) to speed up access (while increasing risk of data loss). Now 2Mb is the size of the built in disk cache on a modern hard drive (or more). 386TTM was a local company.
-- Bobby G.
On 4/7/2011 10:46 PM, Robert Green wrote:

I think I had a RAM memory card I stuck in my 386SX/20 and I had software that let me load Windows into the RAM and run the OS from the RAM card. It's been almost 20 years so MY memory may have degraded a little. Running the OS from the RAM card made things very fast considering the times and it was so cool. In fact, I had to Polish engineer a little squirrel cage blower to help cool the motherboard to keep Frankenstein running. Darn, I had to do a lot of screwing around with configurations back then just to keep things running but that was part of the fun. :-)
TDD
On 4/3/2011 1:26 PM, Bob-tx wrote:

For the next 8 hours you can get "The Cleaner 2012" from Give Away Of The Day at no cost. The site gives away a different paid program every day.
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com /
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

You gotta be suspicious of a firm that uses scare, and untrue, tactics.
"If you install software often, your registry file gets bloated reducing overall system performance."
Further, according to reviews, this product often goes two weeks between updating its virus database. There are other, reviewed, AV programs for free. AVG, Avast, and Microsoft Security Essentials all score in the top four on every reviewers lists.

Microsoft is the originator of the whole concept of the FUD tactic (fear, uncertainty, and doubt).

A given. Your point?
nb
notbob wrote:

Not a given. Whether the registry is 100K or 20 gigabytes is irrelevant when it comes to efficiency.
The registry is not searched sequentially; it is a highly optimized relational database. It takes exactly the same number of disk reads and accesses to find a requested key irrespective of the registry's size.
Admittedly, a HUGE registry is a larger target for something to go wrong, say a bad physical sector on the disk, but as far as efficiency, a "bloated" registry is of no effect.
For those who routinely dust the inside cover of shelved books, an occasional pass of CCleaner might allow them to sleep better at night (except for the nagging fear that the canned vegetables in the pantry might not be in perfect alphabetical order...).

Windows? Efficiency? You funny man!
nb

Considering the millions of lines of code it runs, it's efficiency isn't all that bad - but it is DEFINITELY bloated.
On 4/4/2011 6:32 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Well, they're not using scare tactics, they're just pointing out a simple fact. I experiment with a lot of different software and can sometimes have problems with odd conflicts. A lot of the software is pretty good but some is junk and I don't download and install everything that's offered. I installed The Cleaner 2012 on three machines and it's doing a good job of finding malware that a few different anti-virus programs missed. They offer Paragon software from time to time and I always get it if I'm able.
TDD
Bob-tx wrote:

Did you get it fixed yet? If you did, how'd you do it? What did you do?
On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 13:26:17 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote:

Not sure if Win 7 has a host file. If so read it. In XP it's located at C:/windows/system32/drivers/ect

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/hosts.htm
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:58 PM Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Re: Home computer problem

Yes, W-7 does have a host file where you identified it in ///ect.
I have been there. Originally, the host file did not exist. I created one using Notepad. The only thing I put in it was '127.0.0.1' (without the quote marks). Now that I think about it, after your comment, I think I named the file hosts (plural). Should it be just host? Also, since Notepad is text editor, the file is saved as a .txt extension. Could this make a difference. If so, can the file be renamed to remove the extension?
Whenever I try to go to Google, it just times out.
Thanks for the reply, Bob-tx
contact> wrote:

Absolutely this *will* (not just "could") make a difference. Windows is looking for a file called hosts, not hosts.txt.

Yes. At a command prompt, type "ren hosts.txt hosts" (without the quotes).
Or open it up in Notepad, click File | Save As, then enter the name as "hosts" (this time, *with* the quotes -- that tells Notepad not to append .txt to the filename).
"Bob-tx" <No

Thanks, I didn't know how to save without the extension. Bob-tx
"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message
Bob-tx - your clock is set to PM instead of AM, at least according to what I see . . .
-- Bobby G.

Thanks, right on. Happened when I did a restore. Bob-tx

One SIMPLE step you can take which will stop most but not all "hosts hijackers" is to simply make the file read only