Home computer problem

Page 4 of 7

Used it for a short while, then dumped M$ altogether. I used WinNT successfully for awhile. Thought w2k was basically the same thing. It matters not. Haven't willingly used any of that M$ crap in years. I have an old crapped up XP box I use for Netflix streaming movies. Otherwise, I don't bother.
nb

<snort>
Nope. NT was quite stable. 2K was a POS.

And w95-w98* wasn't? I never experienced w2k crashing once per hour.
nb

I agree. I could keep W2K running for a fairly long time between reboots, not so with 95. There was a positive abortion in Win ME - didn't see too much of that OS. XP tries too much to "help" me. I have to reconfigure it substantially to make it comfortable for me. With W2K, setting up the OS meant changing some stuff in Explorer and renaming ACTORS to DEADACTORS to kill Clippy, the most annoying "helper" that's ever been inflicted on me.
XP, on the other hand, apparently must have had years of research that resulted in menus magically reconfiguring themselves (a big it with people who could barely remember where things were on static menus!) and an OS that's always asking you to make decisions. "Would you like to . . . " There should be a global setting marked "Stay out my effing way you solder-tailed scold." Or something like Samuel Jackson in "Pulp Fiction" when he says to the kid "Say WHAT again!"
-- Bobby G.

Ye gads, I'd forgotten that nightmare. At least you could turn it off.

LOL! I gotta wonder at how many monitors/laptops have actually been retired early by small arms fire by infuriated users having to close one popup too many.
There is a way to stop all that nonsense, but it's neither intuitive nor for the faint of heart.
nb
"notbob" & Robert Green wrote:

me.
It came back from the grave MS has serious problems because they're faced with both a large installed base of users but they want to attract new customer that have no experience with PC's. Hence, Clippy and his pals. The day I finally learned how to kill Mr. Clippy and all his minions dog, cat, Einstein (???) was a red letter day. Clippy initially refused to day. If you killed him in Word 97 he only stayed dead until the day you decide to look at Powerpoint 97 for the first time. It's like saying Beetlejuice three times. As soon as you do, Clippy is comes back to life not only for Powerpoint but ALL other Office 97 programs including Word. Clippy was as persistent as malaria and just as useless.

Fiction"
At one time I collected and fixed abandoned PC's and laptops and on one, (I kid you not!) there was a huge bite mark on the corner of the LCD screen of a distressed Dell laptop. If she had a gun, I am sure it would have had a bullet hole in it, too! She was easily frustrated and orally fixated. I also got a dead phone from her with a similar bite mark.
-- Bobby G.

.44 Magnum.
Or, a good pop-up blocker or browser (like Firefox) with it built in. IE's design decisions were made by Pollyanna. The internet turned out to be perhaps 1000X meaner than MS imagined it. While other hate it, I like Firefox with just two add-ins - NoScript and AdBlock. I am always two clicks away from allowing Javascript if I need it. And that's the way I like it. Surfing with shields up until I decide to lower them, and you can do that by looking at the site's security certificate, looking at what sites it redirects you to for content, looking at clicking-jacking and cross-scripting attempts/attacks. A number of sites recently were tricked into hosting javascript accessed malware through their advertising partners. So far, it seems with Javascript off, the NYT paywall vanishes. (-:
-- Bobby G.

== LOL ==

Nowhere in this thread did I say or even hint Windows users are stupid. But, if you feel you must defend yourself, who am I to argue.
nb

== Really...kinda sounded that way.
"Holy crap, ppl! If you can learn all that other crap, you can learn Linux. But noooooo!! I'll never leave my precious Windows computer. <whine, sniffle> "
No, no stupid reference...but it is inferred IMHO. ==

Appears I was dead on about the whine/sniffle. Self fulfilling prophecy.
nb

I use XP almost daily. How elitist can I be.
nb

I never experienced that with 98 either.

I ended up using w98se, which was the best of the 98s. It rarely crashed. OTOH, I never had to use it in a heavy enterprise situation, like a CAD workstation. My beef with w98se was it jes wasn't secure. No matter what I did or what security software I ran, no matter how many firewalls, the exploits were overwhelming. Like I said, after the 4th drive-by dwnld, I quit M$ altogether. Haven't had a hiccup since.
I also think a lot of the problem is client-side scripts. Lotta exploits, there. If I'd had NoScript back then, I'm sure Ida seen much less grief.
nb
On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 00:07:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

My experience was exactly the opposite. 2K was the reason I stopped using OS/2. It was stable enough (NT4 wasn't). It's been all downhill since.

Really? No shit?! <shakes head>

Utter nonsense.

Different topic.

Not stable enough to replace OS/2. It had major problems, which 2K resolved.

Wrong.
Doug Miller wrote:

Win2k is based on the NT kernel, which is far more stable than Win95 that runs atop DOS. For example, Win95 (or 98) has no knowledge of NTFS, a far superior file system compared to FAT32. Win2k has far better security features, and so on. You can tell by the names that Win2k is five years better than Win95.

Newer != better
MS-DOS 6.2 was newer than 6.0, too, but remember what a piece of crap 6.2 was?

When they first brought it out, they said it stood for New Technology. Dunno what they say *now*.