Home compressor question

I bought a craftsman industrial upright compressor the other day.

To get it home, I laid it down in the back of my truck.

When I got it home, I set it up and removed the oil check/fill plug.

The oil just FLOWED out of this hole. I quickly put the plug back in.

I always thought that when you removed this plug .. that the oil should be just at the top of the opening .. or .. at least be able to be touched pushing your little finger into the hole.

do you think I should just open it and let it run level with the hole ?

one more thing .. I ran it a bit .. (ran real nice) .. but when I opened the drain valve on the bottom .. after a BUNCH of water came out .. some water mixed with oil came out.

should I worry about this.

and .. do you think that either of these things might have been caused by laying it down.

thanks mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Yep. Should be OK once it drain back down again.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I know that this question might sound silly. But are you sure that you did not open the oil drain plug instead of the fill plug? On my craftsman compressor, the fill plug is upright while the drain plug is horizontal. As far as oil in the tank, I would attribute this to lying the compressor on it's side and it should not be a concern.

Reply to
Brew Man

Check the oil level per your owner's manual. Too much or too little oil is bad.

That's normal. Drain it when you're done with it for the day to avoid rust. I get a tablespoon of water or less from my 30 gallon compressor, but it operates in an air-conditioned building.

Perhaps the oil incident.

Reply to
Phisherman

naw .. not silly .. but .. no, it was the top plug. The thing is, if this is where you put the oil in how could you over fill it like that. You can only put so much in before it runs out.

snipped-for-privacy@nobody.com (Phisherman) wrote in :

man, I wish I had the owners manual. I have done some looking and cant find it on the net, its probably there but I cant find it.

I have the 60gal 150psi industrial craftsman upright

thanks guys mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Drain it all out and check it again after some more use. If you keep getting oil then you have a problem. Water is normal, more so in humid weather. A good quality air dryer on your air outlet line is a good idea. Without it you could end up rusting the pistons in your air equipment and it will ruin a paint job with the water.

Could be. Give it some time and check it again after every use. You still might get a littel oil for a few times until the tank gets cleaned out, but it shoudl diminish quickly. Also, the compressor *might* need a break-in period. Until then, it might continue to leak a minimum amount of oil, VERY minimal, into the air and tank.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony