home air cleaner

Page 1 of 2
Hi all . I'm looking for an opinion for an electronic air cleaner for a house. The CR recommends AprilAir, Honeywell and Trane. Does anyone have any experience - good or bad with these makers? Bad experience, especially. Or any specific model?
thanks
Gene

Trane does NOT make their units, but buy from Honeywell, and rebadge them...so much for CR....
Hi, First, portable or whole houseone which attaches to furnace? Honeywell makes both kinds. They're good. I have one attached to furnace(electrostatic one) I just clean the elements in the dish washer once a year. Tony
xanuda wrote:

CONSUMER REPORTS rated them either this month or last. If you don't have the last issue (I think it's the Oct. issue because the Nov. issue is already available), go to the library and look up the article. I think the best one is Friedrich C-90A. It's expensive but very good. Check CR for Aug, Sept. and Oct, because I'm not exactly sure which issue I saw them in.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Chemqueries) wrote:

I've had my Friedrich C90 for something like 6 or 7 years and it still works great...I throw the cell in the dishwasher about once every 6 weeks and good as new again....
Great device!

great...I throw the cell in the dishwasher about once every 6 >weeks and good as new again.... ************************************************ How often do you change the other filter? You know, there's another filter in the front. I think its a carbon or charcoal filter? I heard those have to be changed a few times a year, but they are pretty inexpensive.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Chemqueries) wrote:

I actually quit changing the charcoal filter...The damn thing is like $20 and really is unimpressive in its construction (very small thin layer of charcoal)
It won't run without it, so I just ripped out the old charcoal insert and put the frame back in...Been fine for 6 years that way
I'm really not concerned about odors anyhow (plus I doubt its effectiveness)

Ive got the same model as well
Had it abt 9 months now
Hey....when you throw the cell in the dishwasher.... do you add regular dishwashing liquid as well? Is it OK to use that soap?
Or should I use something else?
John
Talking air filters, I have 2 Aprilair 2200- 4 inch media filters. Both are a defective design allowing no positive seal at the top of the slide in casing. They both allow 1/8 " space where dust bypasses the filter and screws up my furnace with dust.. I used foam strips to seal it , but April Air was no help. There are good designs out there. But April Air is not one. I even contacted consumer reports after their article. No response on several attemps
In '91 we bought the Aprilair 2400 & change the paper filer every 2 years. Our furnace/AC guy stated for us to do that since it works better when dirty & he is correct per AIRRITE where we get the filters. Amazing that I don't dust half as much as I used to.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (mark Ransley) wrote in message

You have to examine the filter , a filter takes out a higher percentage of particles the dirtier it gets. But in doing so reduces airflow. A filter to dirty reduces airflow and efficency of your system. I cant see what you have after 2 years. Check after 1 , you dont want it caked and clogged before replacement , just dirty. But they do last in a clean house.
Hi, Every house has different amount of dust. My electrostatic paper filter (if I mount it) stays white after a year. I don't have any filter except electronic cleaner. Tony
mark Ransley wrote:

Good God, I would hate to see the condition of your system. Thats a damn fine way to crack a heat exchanger..

Come over! I do very little dusting, so I know it owrks great. Every year we have the system checked, do you? He changees the filter when needed.
Just got a postcard from Sears Hardware publicizing a $19.99 electrostatic filter that works with the SpaceGuard system. I may be interested in checking it out. Has anyone tried it???

Both
slide
filter
but
Air
No

When you say electrostatic above..... do you mean filters like the 3M Filtrete brand?
If yes.... why are they so bad to use?
John
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Yes, regular dishwashing liquid is RECOMMENDED by Friedrich and most other electronic cell manufacturers...
Works great, gets it squeaky clean, though I often use the pots and pans cycle to get it extra clean

Great Chris! Thanks!
Ive only had my Freidrich unit abt 9 months now. So far so good
John
Chris Schmelzer wrote:

Our Totaline Gold (a Carrier subsidary) electronic air cleaner is NOT to be cleaned with any product containing chlorine. Automatic dishwashing products contain chlorine.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

OK
So what could one buy to use in the dishwasher that does NOT have Chlorine in it?
John