Home AC Compressor keeps tripping breaker

PLEASE HELP! last night the whole neighborhood lost power for nearly 5 seconds and then when it came up apparently it tripped the ac comressor breaker. I found this out becuase the ac was not blowing cold air. when I tried reseting it , it keeps popping back. I tried so many times but as soon as I reset the breaker it pops back again. I cna see the lights dim for a fraction of a second and i pops back.like almost immediately. I checked out everything and all looks fine. What should I do.... please help Andy

Reply to
Andy

Sounds like the 1 in a million actual damage from power outage. Call a pro (Elec or HVAC) to document and file for insurance.

Reply to
TimS

Are you aware that it is November? Why are you running an AC?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Ever been to Arizona ?:-) On occasion I've run the A/C at Christmas time.

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Are you aware that the whole country (USA) is NOT in the snow belt. High temperature here has still been hitting the low to mid 80's. A cold front just came through. Tonight's low will get down into the 50's. Tomorrow's high will be 75. I will be happy to not have to run the AC for a while.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Call a pro. Could be a blown fuse in a disconnect ($3.00) or a grounded compressor ($1,000.00). Don't mess around with it if you don't know what your doing.

Reply to
C.J.

Clearly Storm does not know the meaning of WWW. This is not a US only newsgroup. Storm also does not know much about the US.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

probably the same reason i am running mine.. its like 80 degrees and high humidity in my area... we dont have many winters in the south.... but we sure do have the summers.....

Reply to
jim

Ummm...same reason we have been in NC for the past month??? My familys also in CA...ever been to....wait..I know you have never been to Palm Springs..but its actually warm there Chris...we used to run the AC till Feb, at times...the snowbirds from Canada used to run it in Dec, Jan, Feb, March...and went home when it broke 100F...

Reply to
CBHvac

First thing....

Shut it off and leave it off for about 3 hours...seriously. Restart it. If it runs, leave it be. If not, then call a professional in for complete diagnosis and repair, along with any information your home owners might need as most will cover this....IF and ONLY if its actually due to the outage, and not just plain wear and tear....like on a 14 year old unit....

Reply to
CBHvac

Let me help you out here Stormy. My guess he is running his AC because it is hot in his house! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

We had some major rain yesterday and getting colder. You got a spare room I can have for a couple weeks, and some service calls for me to do?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn