Homasote?

Is Homasote still available? I'd like to make a fabric-covered bulletin board and can't find it locally anymore.
Perhaps there's something better. Homasote is light, easy-to-cut, soft enough to take a thumb tack, inexpensive and comes is large panels (4 x 8 ?) about an inch thick.
Tomsic

Its also virtually moisture proof according to the specs.
On 1/14/2012 9:30 AM, Nono wrote:

It may not be Homosote brand, but any commercial drywall house will have 4x8 sheets of sound board. These are wood fiber sheets that are inexpensive. Dierks and Celotex are brand names of companies that are gone. They were both big in tar impregnated sheathing that was used on many homes and buildings. The sound board product is the same thing without the tar.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Bulletin boards like that years ago used to be cork, and seemed to last a long, long time. Consider getting some cork flooring tiles or similar and bonding to a plywood backing for example. Cover with fabric, drop into a suitable frame, and you will have a designer type bulletin board sure to please. Of course, checking office supply stores for modestly priced bb's is a good budget move.
Joe
On 1/14/2012 3:20 PM, Joe wrote:

In my experience, BBs made from fibrous stuff covered with fabric are only good for a few years. That is what all the cubicles at work have, and since you tend the put stuff in the same place, the spots where the tacks hit most of the time tend to get where they won't grab a tack any more. I'd either buy a real cork board (which will probably be cheaper to buy pre-made), either new or at a place that sells used office furniture, or buy a magnet-friendly white board and a bunch of the plastic-covered magnets.
Back in the stone age, my father used to buy jute-backed cork by the roll, and his finish carpenters would make custom BBs for the houses he built, for kitchen, kids rooms, dens, etc. Glue to a thin plywood backer, and trim out the edges with corner mold. Looked real nice. No idea if the stuff is still available anywhere. This wasn't the huge-cell flooring style stuff, it had very tight cells that didn't pull loose, almost like it was ground cork mixed with rubber or something.
--
aem sends...

My experience with Homasote bulletin boards...... they hold pins only moderately well and the pin holes don't "heal" as they do in a cork board.
The material is cheap & sound deadening but that's about it. :(
cheers Bob