Holmes doing minimum code now!

Saw the first of Mike Holmes' new season of home repairs. He fixed an old couples' duplex which had an odd roof configuration that perpetually leaked. He extended the roof up into a peak as a normal house would use. However, the houses had an 8" concrete block firewall between them. When he extended to roof framing, the firewall had to be extended up to the underside of the new roof.

Personally, I would have extended the block wall with more blocks as it would be an excellent firewall but Holmes, who normally has distaste for the minimum code requirements and tends to over build most things he works on, extended the firewall with a wood frame and drywall. I know it is legal, (in the past when these homes were originally built, it was not legal) to construct a firewall out of drywall but this is the minimum code requirement.

I see he is now lowering his supposed standards down to the minimum code requirement.

Reply to
EXT

Nobody cares, dipwad

Reply to
Jeff

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Why do you even bother reading postings, let alone bother to reply with useless juvenile drivel.

Reply to
EXT

There's code, over code and practicality. I will usually go over code but there are times when code is simply good enough.

In a wood frame urban situation a drywall firewall will hold up long enough to do what it has to do. The fire department will have, or at least should have, put the fire out before then. I live in an area outside of urban fire protection and that is reflected in my insurance premium.

The practicality part comes in when the fire has burnt long enough to get through the drywall firewall. If the fire has gone on that long in a wood frame structure it really doesn't matter what the firewall is made of. By then it will likely be the only thing left standing.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

A single example is woefully insufficient evidence to support your conclusion. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

If I DVR the episode and then watch it a number of times would that count as sufficient evidence? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

He exceeded minimum code by using heavier dry-wall than required. Said something about drywall and plaster - never saw the plaster go on but I believe there werer 2 layers of 5/8" fire rated drywall on both sides

Reply to
clare