Hollow Core Door Damage

Hollow core doors have masonite skins which does look a bit like compressed cardboard. Both use coarse fibers. The inside has cardboard spacers. Nothing really wrong with this, masonite is a perfectly acceptable material as long as you don't repeatedly expose it to water. The cardboard spacers will still be there 50 years later, the door is sealed. I'm not trying to claim they are anything other than what they are, basic interior doors that serve their purpose. Theer are millions of them out there.

Vinyl and other synthetic composites are becoming more common in construction, particularly in areas that may get wet. It doesn't rot, warp, or shrink. Again there is nothing intrensically wrong with it. Would a good hardwood or cedar be better? Sure? But are composites better that new growth pine or fir? Probably. If you've had to work on a house that had new growth pine for exterior trim combined with not getting painted as soon as it needed it (and how often does that happen) then you'd know what I mean.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

re: "Hollow core doors have masonite skins which does look a bit like compressed cardboard."

I've worked with masonite and this wasn't that. These doors really were compressed cardboard. I started cutting it with a sabre saw but it got so ragged that I ended up just using a utility knife. The sawdust was a fluffy powder, not the fine dust you get when you cut masonite.

re: "Vinyl and other synthetic composites are becoming more common in construction"

Yes, I agree. I've used Azek and other vinyl trim in both door and window installations. It wasn't so much the use of vinyl on the interior of the windows, it was the way it was installed.

The windows were set back in a fairly deep pocket and the side "walls" of the pocket *moved* when you pushed on them. There was obviously a gap between the vinyl surface material and the studs behind the vinyl, almost as if they have made the pocket too big and didn't bother to sister on any hard material before installing the vinyl.

I guess it's just that I don't expect walls to be flexible, even if they are inside a window pocket.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote: (snip)

Ah, yes- the house of soft walls. I expect to wake up there one day.

Reply to
aemeijers

You're right, to be very specific hollow core doors have something closer to a thin piece of MDF where masonite is closer to an HDF. But both are basically the same material, one is compressed a bit more. At this thickness it doesn't matter much.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Or they can - and often do - have skins of plywood. Generally, about 1/8" luan. In fact, you can goto HD/Lowes and purchase such skins should youwant to make your own doors (or for any other purpose).

Some hollow doors use 1/4" hardwood plywood.

Reply to
dadiOH

Only the flat ones. The ones with faux raised panels and grain are all mdf.

Reply to
jamesgangnc