Holiday Sales....

So I missed Black Friday, cyberMonday.... well, more like boycotted them....

Aren't the after Xmas sales just as good or better? Mebbe not the same variety/choice, but mebbe even steeper discounts? I'd like to raid Sears for some shop stuff.....

What's the consensus out there?

Reply to
Existential Angst

I didn't see any deals Friday or Monday that were any better than anyother everyday deal I find. Alll the typical loss leaders in the ads that I saw, nuthin special

Reply to
ChairMan

+Dont bother going to penneys they have nothing on sale. They call it everday low prices.......

I call it higher prices with no customer service, and their hoiday decorations SUCK

They have a IDIOT president Ron Johnson who is destroying penneys. Its very sad they used to be my favorite store

Reply to
bob haller

I bought an mp3/video player online for $20 day before thanksgiving. I don't do stores this time of year. I do get emails from sears, mostly kmart.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't buy...PERIOD! For Christmas, I bake! Last year was over 100 dozen cookies, this year might be more.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm with you... at least what I would consider buying. For me, it was the same pricing.

Reply to
Doug

Grow your own wheat, and milk your own cows for the butter?

.

I don't buy...PERIOD! For Christmas, I bake! Last year was over 100 dozen cookies, this year might be more.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Black Friday, turkey was a LOT cheaper. Electronics and gadgets, maybe select items.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

I more than made up for you. Let's see, $700 at Lowes Friday, $100 Monday, new laptop (Black Friday e-sale), Memory for this NetBook and new Laptop (Black Friday Sale), WallyWorld USB memory sticks (Ciber Monday e-sale), a couple of shirts (Friday). Black Friday is Christmas for me. ;-)

No.

On Christmas cards and trees, sure.

Forget Sears.

Reply to
krw

So let them take the loss. That's the whole point.

Reply to
krw

I got a couple of shirts for $20 each (30% off).

I don't buy Christmas decorations at Penney's.

Don't disagree much there. Someone sure as hell is.

Reply to
krw

LOL...remember the car dealers with "one price fits all"...ex. Saturn.

Gone.

What a joke.

Brick and mortar stores are in a really bad place...customers can go "showrooming" with smart phones and know who the best deal is with...usually on line.

And on line buying is topping 10% of ALL buying this year...and is projected to grow at least 40% annually.

That is why you are seeing stores opening on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday merging....competition is great for customers and death to most retailers..after all only ONE retailer will have the BEST pricing.

Long overdue...considering how much of retail is just smoke and mirrors...selling a generic item for widely diverse prices.

Killer sales this year...no shows...retailers anticipate demand months ahead of the seasons and stock accordingly.

Toolwise I have seen NOTHING that motivates me to spend...and for me I expect 50% or better discounting before the wallet is opened.

I was just researching this subject today and it would seem that retailers are trying to prime the pump by using "lightning specials"..specials that are available without warning and only for a hour or two...to keep the public's attention focused.

In the last few years, I have found the first-second week of December to have better discounting...but again for short periods.

Or better yet...wait until late January/February for better pricing. =========================================================

Why late Jan/Feb, instead of, say, the 1st wk of Jan or right after Xmas?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Sure. They deserve to fail. Someone will replace them, if there is a need.

Reply to
krw

50% is way high. I bought a drill and driver. They weren't much more expensive than the batteries that came with them. They threw in a charger, too.

Not going to work. People aren't going to show up just in case something they didn't need goes on sale.

Depends on what. Black Friday sales are advertised weeks in advance.

After the return season and most gift cards are spent. ...to flush excess inventory.

Reply to
krw

Last year was an odd year. Retailers were shaking in their boots, thinking that Christmas was going to be a complete bust. After this past weekend, I don't think they're thinking the same this year.

Reply to
krw

I think their Auto division has been sued by state AG's in almost every state. Which, strangely, in and of itself, didn't really seem to hurt Sears. Sears may be hurting now, because of overall market forces/directions, but not because of any AG action. Sears Auto is truly the enemy of the consumer.

Even for simple shit like batteries, Sears incompetence will drive you crazy -- I go straight to AutoZone, as good or better prices, at least in marine batts. At least AutoZone answers their phone, and you can find someone immediately to help you.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I have to agree on the filters , use nothing but the NAPA Gold ones in my vehicles . I have no preference for battery brands , though I do prefer AGM's for my bikes .

Reply to
Snag

Who apparently have 12 manufacturing facilities; 7 of which are outside the United States :-)

Reply to
John B.

JCP has sucky decorations for their store, they arent for sale they are to make the store look nice, but they are cheap and ugly......

penneys has been ruined by ron johnson its idiot president.

Reply to
bob haller

I've been stocking up when things are on sale for weeks already. Butter is the big expense followed by nuts.

Reply to
Tom Gardner