Holiday Sales....

Page 1 of 6
So I missed Black Friday, cyberMonday.... well, more like boycotted them....
Aren't the after Xmas sales just as good or better? Mebbe not the same variety/choice, but mebbe even steeper discounts? I'd like to raid Sears for some shop stuff.....
What's the consensus out there?
--
EA

I didn't see any deals Friday or Monday that were any better than anyother everyday deal I find. Alll the typical loss leaders in the ads that I saw, nuthin special

+Dont bother going to penneys they have nothing on sale. They call it everday low prices.......
I call it higher prices with no customer service, and their hoiday decorations SUCK
They have a IDIOT president Ron Johnson who is destroying penneys. Its very sad they used to be my favorite store

I got a couple of shirts for $20 each (30% off).

I don't buy Christmas decorations at Penney's.

Don't disagree much there. Someone sure as hell is.
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:20:05 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools

Sure. They deserve to fail. Someone will replace them, if there is a need.

I think their Auto division has been sued by state AG's in almost every state. Which, strangely, in and of itself, didn't really seem to hurt Sears. Sears may be hurting now, because of overall market forces/directions, but not because of any AG action. Sears Auto is truly the enemy of the consumer.
Even for simple shit like batteries, Sears incompetence will drive you crazy -- I go straight to AutoZone, as good or better prices, at least in marine batts. At least AutoZone answers their phone, and you can find someone immediately to help you.
--
EA

jon_banquer wrote:

I have to agree on the filters , use nothing but the NAPA Gold ones in my vehicles . I have no preference for battery brands , though I do prefer AGM's for my bikes .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Who apparently have 12 manufacturing facilities; 7 of which are outside the United States :-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

I agree on the Interstate batteries but they're expensive. Most people don't keep cars long enough to buy them. I got seven years on the factory battery and have four now on the cheap AutoZone battery. Not sure why I'd buy an Interstate, here in the South.

LOL...remember the car dealers with "one price fits all"...ex. Saturn.
Gone.
What a joke.
Brick and mortar stores are in a really bad place...customers can go "showrooming" with smart phones and know who the best deal is with...usually on line.
And on line buying is topping 10% of ALL buying this year...and is projected to grow at least 40% annually.
That is why you are seeing stores opening on Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday merging....competition is great for customers and death to most retailers..after all only ONE retailer will have the BEST pricing.
Long overdue...considering how much of retail is just smoke and mirrors...selling a generic item for widely diverse prices.
Killer sales this year...no shows...retailers anticipate demand months ahead of the seasons and stock accordingly.
Toolwise I have seen NOTHING that motivates me to spend...and for me I expect 50% or better discounting before the wallet is opened.
I was just researching this subject today and it would seem that retailers are trying to prime the pump by using "lightning specials"..specials that are available without warning and only for a hour or two...to keep the public's attention focused.
In the last few years, I have found the first-second week of December to have better discounting...but again for short periods.
Or better yet...wait until late January/February for better pricing. ======================================================== Why late Jan/Feb, instead of, say, the 1st wk of Jan or right after Xmas?
--
EA

Happy hunting.

TMT.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 23:24:45 -0500, "Existential Angst"

50% is way high. I bought a drill and driver. They weren't much more expensive than the batteries that came with them. They threw in a charger, too.

Not going to work. People aren't going to show up just in case something they didn't need goes on sale.

Depends on what. Black Friday sales are advertised weeks in advance.

After the return season and most gift cards are spent. ...to flush excess inventory.

I'm with you... at least what I would consider buying. For me, it was the same pricing.

So let them take the loss. That's the whole point.

I bought an mp3/video player online for $20 day before thanksgiving. I don't do stores this time of year. I do get emails from sears, mostly kmart.
Greg

I don't buy...PERIOD! For Christmas, I bake! Last year was over 100 dozen cookies, this year might be more.
Grow your own wheat, and milk your own cows for the butter?
I don't buy...PERIOD! For Christmas, I bake! Last year was over 100 dozen cookies, this year might be more.
On 11/28/2012 10:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've been stocking up when things are on sale for weeks already. Butter is the big expense followed by nuts.
Tom Gardner wrote:

There are more nuts than you can ever use, who crosspost to RCM.

That was TOO easy, you don't get any points!