Holiday Candle Lights

I see many people have the holiday candle lights in each window of the home and I decided to buy some too. Each has it's own plug and knob switch on the plug, to turn on or off. I don't want to have to rewire my plugs to be switched or have to turn each one on individually. Nor do I have the ability to run all these outlets to one timer. How do (lazy - hehe) people do it?

Reply to
Billy

I have an X-10 unit in each room My computer turns them on and off. It also dims them in the late evening so they stay on all night, but not at full brightness.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

We use X10 stuff. Minimum 1 lamp module each room, or area (about $4-6 bucks each if you watch for sales) 1 plug in controller (sometimes 2 for $10). From there you can go up to radio remotes and timers and stuff. Moves from house to house, can light the tree also, saves crawling around in the under the tree area. Cheapest automation per drop.

Reply to
TimS

Where are you finding these devices so cheap? I checked out Samrthome.com and they seem well above these costs.

Reply to
Billy

These are the very lowest level modules(2 'prong' dimming lamp) and controllers (1-4, 5-8, 4 button mini controllers). X10 site will push different stuff everyday. They will also send you a E-mail everyday, of you wish. I'v also had good luck calling the guys and just asking "Can you deal on this?" Usually they can.

Reply to
TimS

Can you provide a site that sells these units and is easy to understand ? I'm having a hard time deciphering which x-10 device that I need at smarthome.com. I just want the most basic x-10 switch, transceiver and multiple receivers controller by that one transmitter, yet they have all kinds of special devices that range from $15 to $70.

Samrthome.com

Reply to
Billy

pick "home automation"

Reply to
TimS

Here's 3 lamp modules

And heres a 3-piece starter kit, with an additional lamp module, a remote control and a plug-in receiver that also doubles as an appliance (non dimming) module.

HA HA Budys Here

Billy:

B > I see many people have the holiday candle lights in each window of the home B > and I decided to buy some too. Each has it's own plug and knob switch on th

B > plug, to turn on or off. I don't want to have to rewire my plugs to be B > switched or have to turn each one on individually. Nor do I have the abilit

B > to run all these outlets to one timer. How do (lazy - hehe) people do it?

I agree going the X-10 route is the easiest. The basic units are available at Radio Shack and probably some other retail outlets, otherwise

One thing I found with the X10's I'm using is if there is insufficient load the controller will not work correcty ==> flickers or won't come on. Solution is a heavier load: in your case two or more lamps per control.

BTW, if for some reason you want to turn on a light on an X-10 just turn it off and then on at the lamp's switch.

  • Horse Puckey!
Reply to
barry martin