Holes In Post-tensioned Slab

Hello. My husband and I are building a new home near Phoenix, Arizona

- 1417 sq ft, 2 story, 3br, 2 1/2 bath home on a post-tensioned slab. While attending our pre-drywall/frame inspection, we noticed a rather sizeable pile of concrete/dirt and two HOLES in the slab in the middle of what will become our kitchen. According to the foreman, during a routine test of the plumbing and drains, an under slab leak was detected. They thought the leak was at the junction of the drains under the downstairs power room but when they opened up that part of the slab they realized they were wrong. In an effort to avoid poking holes all over the place, they snaked a camera up each of the lines until they found the offender. Apparently during the framing for the slab, someone inadvertently drove a wooden steak right smack through the middle of one of the drains. He showed me the section of pipe that was removed and it looked like a giant black PVC lollipop! Anyway, the foreman admitted that the "integrity of the slab will never be the same". I just want to know what this means to me. The foreman said that the ground would be re-packed, re-treated for termites, and then the slab would be repaired (under the supervision of a structural engineer - which the foreman is not). The two holes are 2' x 2' and 1' x 3' in size. I took some pictures and can not see if any of the tension cables have been severed. I read in other posts that this is virtual suicide for my new home and I just want to know the real deal. Let me know if you want to see the pics...I'll be happy to send them to you. Also, clearly I am not any kind of builder or construction worker, so please be kind when critiquing my post. :)

Reply to
jesikah6

never be the same". I just want to know what this means to me. The foreman said that the ground would be re-packed, re-treated for termites, and then the slab would be repaired (under the supervision of a structural engineer - which the foreman is not). this is virtual suicide for my new home

Reply to
BobK207

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 18:48:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote Re Holes In Post-tensioned Slab:

Get the name of the engineer and ask him about it. He will not approve it unless it meets whatever codes/standards apply.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Not a problem. The structural engineer will see to it that the repairs are done properly. I would want a letter from him stating this.

Slabs are opened up and repaired all the time. If done correctly, there is nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Not a problem. The structural engineer will see to it that the repairs are done properly. I would want a letter from him stating this.

Slabs are opened up and repaired all the time. If done correctly, there is nothing to worry about. Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc. Georgetown, TX

Thank you for this info and for being so helpful!

Reply to
jesikah6

Thanks a bunch. This helps a lot.

Reply to