hole in the basement floor

Page 1 of 2
Hi I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.
My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?
Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
z6MTYXBYw&feature=youtu.be
"leza wang" wrote in message
Hi I have found that there is a hole in the basement floor! Please see the video below. Before I bought the house I saw water leakage in that corner, so now I am thinking they did that hole to fix something! not sure really.
My question, with what i should fill that hole? I am thinking to buy sands, or you think I should do something else?
Thanks a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
z6MTYXBYw&feature=youtu.be
Leza Did you buy this house without first seeing it? There seems to be to many things wrong with it?WW

cottage country because it was cheap. It was sold as a "4 season" home and it has no foundation(sitting on concrete blocks) and no insulation in the floors. In March when she bought it, everything was level - the roof ridge was straight, and all doors and windows operated. Throughout the winter the ridgepole was up to 8 inches out of line and most windows would not operate. By March it was straight again - but the heating bill for the winter was about $2000. There were all kinds of electrical issues and plumbing issues. Now she can't afford to keep living in it - so she needs to sell it. Good luck.
People who don't know about houses shopuldn't buy them without the assistance of someone who does. ( same goes for buying used cars, as far as that goes)
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A expensive lesson. I never lived in a pre-owned house. Wife designed house. I had it built after getting her design OK'd from pros and local building permit dept.

Good for you Tony. Not everyone has the good fortune of being able to not having to buy used. Since you never had to buy a pre-owned house, you haven't any experience with them. Probably time for you to shut your trap.

But only in the basement and maybe the patio. Walking down the stairs** I was impressed at how much nicer the stairs looked than the basement. Not everyone's basement is at all "finished".
**I like that btw. You had lost the Hitchcock touch in many of your videos, but this one defintely had it. By the time you got to the bottom of the stairs I was scared to death. When you backed out of the stairwell, I was sure someone was going to grab you. Did you post this video, or was it your kidnapper? And what does he want to release you?
On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 19:04:01 -0700 (PDT), leza wang

That hole was put there for a reason so it would be good to find out why before you fill it in. There may have been a leak and the previous owner made the hold to act as a drain field or a sump. It may have been to access sewer pips running around there, as to repair a leak. Or is may have been a hiding place for gold.
Is the hole dry? If so, you can fill it easily. If the hole wet? If so, you want to find the reason and stop it before filling the hole.
If you are sure you want it filled, you can use any combination of rocks, dirt, sand. Bring it in a bucket at a time.

I thnk the kidnapper was looking for the gold. Probably found it and that's why the hole is empty. The OP probably came home early and that's why he snatched her too.

Rocks tend to be free, and they make the filling go quickly, except for spaces between the rocks. But they might be harder to remove when you want to get your gold.
On Saturday, July 6, 2013 11:02:25 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Agree. And she has no experience with the house in various conditions, ie like after heavy rains for 4 days. Maybe it fills with water for all we know.
There is a *lot* wrong with this house. Best advice I can give is that she needs to find a competent home inspector and get the whole house inspected to find out the extent of everything that is wrong. It doesn't make sense to be fixing one thing here, one thing there, only to find out a year later that there are very serious problems that require a tear-out of all the work you'be just done to fix correctly. The few things she has found already could be just the start.
And for an example of how you could wind up doing work for nothing, there is the basement window example. Apparently she removed pavers and poured concrete right up to the window. Two things wrong there. First, it was apparently graded the wrong way. Second, by pouring a slab instead of pavers, the water has no place to go and is brought right to the window to pour into the basement.
She needs a complete home inspection, which should have been done before purchase. There is no way of knowing what all is wrong and it could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble here.

Some of you guys can be a real downer when she's still in the middle of fixing things. Are you trying to break her spirit? You don't know what the rest of the house looks like, what she paid, or how much money she has. I've long noticed in this group and others that some people write like everything can be fixed with money and everyone has enough money to do so. It's not true. Many people have to put up with things far less than perfect because they don't have as much money as others do.
On Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:20:58 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Thanks a lot Micky, really appreciate it.
On Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:20:58 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

That's why I suggested getting a competent professional in to do a complete inspection and find out the real scope of all the problems. She's already poured some money into an "improvement" that was work for nothing because instead of solving a problem, it's making it worse.
I've long noticed in this group and others that some

I think most of the time people here give very practical and good advice and there are a range of possible options covering various price points. The overall thing here that stands out is that no one without experience should ever buy a house without a house inspection. If you do that, you could be paying $100K for a house that is worth $20K. That's not to break someone's spirit or be mean, it's just the truth.
On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 09:18:46 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I agree.

That you think it is the truth, or even that something is the truth, does not mean that one has chosen the right time to express it.
It's of no value to her to be told she should have hired an inspector before she bought the house, because she's bought the house already, and she's in the middle of fixing it up. This can be a joyful experience, as one by one, the problems get fixed. Instead, such advice may turn it into months or years of berating oneself while awake, and inabiltiy to sleep. If things go badly all-in-all, she won't need you to convince her to hire an inspector before the next house. She'll figure it out herself, or she'll hear about it later. At any rate, a separate thread or inclusion in some other thread will make the same point to everyone else who might benefit by hearing it.
On Monday, July 8, 2013 5:54:11 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

It is the truth plain and simple. And in my world, it's far better to tell someone how to avoid a potential disaster, so they learn, instead of sugar coating the obvious. Do you disagree that it's a mistake for someone not experienced in checking out a house to not get an inspection done before buying it?

Why would you start fixing stuff when you have no idea the extent of the problems? She already poured a concrete slab that not only didn't fix anything, but made it worse. She could do a lot of repairs, pour money into it, only to find out that to fix other problems that she can't recognize, those repairs she just made need to be torn out.
Instead, such

If that happens, it's not because of my advice.
If things go badly all-in-all, she

Leza is the one that needs to get hear what I and others have said. Good grief. All I said was that she needs a competent inspection done to find out what all is wrong with the house. She should have done that before the purchase. If she chooses to not do it now, it's another mistake. And I'm not buying that some etiquette says that I'm not supposed to tell her the truth.
On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:12:44 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Are you saying the statements were plain and simple, or that because something is the truth, it's always the right time to say it?
I take major issue with the latter, and I'll explain why if that is what you meant.

I think that's the wrong question, and I thought I made clear in the previous post and even the first one why: She had bought the house already so it doesn't apply to her. And you're not telling her how to avoid a potential disaster.

Now you're talking about hiring an inspector after purchase to give advice about what repairs to make. But in the paragraph you're replying to I was referring hiring an "an inspector before she bought the house". Because you had said "She needs a complete home inspection, which should have been done before purchase. "
BTW, in my first post on this subject, I deleted both attibution lines, including yours, so as to not make it look like I was replying especially to you. There had been other posts elswhere in the thread that almost got the same reaction from me -- I don't know who wrote them - but not enought to make me post.
I didnt' complain about everything you and others said, only being a downer and risking breaking her spirit (as in "and it could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble here."

I'm not relying on etiquette. It's common sense. Or "Love your neighbor as yourself"
I assume you saw the short reply that followed yesterday's longer reply by a few mintues. I apologize for annoying you, and for hurting your feelings if I did so. I was just looking out for Leza and other posters in her shoes.
On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 9:12:56 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I said it's the plain and simple truth that if you don't have the necessary skills to inspect a house yourself, you should hire a competent home inspector before buying a house.

Don't bother.

It's only the wrong question because you don't want to answer it.
and I thought I made clear in the

Yes I am. For two reasons. First, she needs a home inspector now for the obvious reasons I stated. Second, if I don't tell her now that she should have had a home inspector before she bought this house, what makes you think anyone is going to tell her that before she buys another house? Good grief.

See the above comments. Good grief.

But here you are, bitching at me, for giving good sound advice.

It could be tens of thousands of dollars of trouble. It's even possible that the house has so many problems that the best thing she could do is walk away from it, instead of pouring more money into it. But no one will know what she has unless she gets an inspection done.

Your definition of common sense obviously doesn't equal mine.

No you're not. Because you want to hold back the simple truth that people need to hear because you think it's going to hurt their "feelings". I suppose if someone had cancer, you'd just whisper sweet nothings in their ear, instead of telling them what they need to know so that they can get treatment.
PS: I don't see Leza bitching about this, only you.

have gotten a real bargain on the place, even with the problems. In the future she will LIKELY investigate a bit more before buying - but with the home inspectors I've run across she could quite well have paid the man and still gotten the surprises. A good contractor or handyman looking it over may have been a better investment - who knows??

I wonder how many inspectors would have pulled the floor and found the hole.
On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 02:48:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

lid.
On Monday, July 8, 2013 11:41:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

An inspector may have missed the hole in the floor. But from the other threads, there are other obvious problems that any competent inspector would have easily identified.