hole in my floor?

Started another home-improvement project today - removing the ancient, painted-over, peeling-up peel and stick vinyl floor tiles in my laundry room. Underneath the clothes washer I found a hole in the slab - looked to be intentional, about the size of a 1x2 board. perfectly rectangular and appears to go all the way through the slab. I've never seen anything like it before, what could its purpose have been? To prove to the new homeowners the thickness of the basement slab? Should I just foam it up or does it provide some other useful purpose?
I'm gonna be hating life tomorrow... all sorts of hideous, dusty filth was collecting under the tiles, although once I get it done I can scrub the slab clean and enjoy an actual clean basement.
Why is it that every home I move into has a filthy basement and I end up having to don hazmat gear to clean it up and make it pleasant again?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

That idea works only if there is a capped pipe protruding into the opening from below.

Carefully clean out this hole. Look deeply to the bottom and you will see a rounded handle. This is a secret door hatch. You do not want to open it though. This is a direct entryway to HELL. If you pull it, you will be sucked into hell in less than one second. This is no joke. These are found in many homes, and many men have gone to hell from pulling them. I know it's a temptation, but so is a naked woman or bottle of whiskey. Drink the whiskey, have sex with the woman, but DO NOT touch that handle. If you feel a sudden urge to touch it, place a crucifix in the hole and call your minister, reverend or priest and ask for an exorcist. BEWARE, Satan is calling you......

This was likely a 1x2 post driven into the ground and used to mark the proper level for the top of the slab when it was poured and screeded level. The wood could have rotted out over the years. They are generally removed after the concrete is leveled but sometimes one is forgotten. Just pour the hole full of thin concrete mix or whatever you feel like using to fill up the hole.
Don Young