Hold my hand, my dryer squeaks

Okay, this stuff is described all over the web and all over usenet, but few are as in need of hand-holding as I am, so I'd appreciate having it spelled out for me.

My Maytag dryer (pretty plain vanilla, 1989 vintage) started developing some fairly loud if intermittant squeaks. First time it happened was maybe three weeks ago, but it stopped after a few minutes, and then went three weeks (probably 20 loads in our house) with no noise. Then it resumed yesterday, and stopped again.

Everything I've read has said "it's the rollers" and "don't be a fool, they're easy to replace by yourself."

So I'm looking for a way for me to confirm exactly where the noise is coming from, then a useful tutorial, illustrated, in how to access and replace the rollers or whatever it is that is causing the noise.

Reply to
trader-of-some-jacks

Google "dryer squeaks" . or go here

Write to Dave. He will sell you what you need. I've fixed both a washer (direct-drive coupler) and a dryer (new rollers, belt etc) within the last couple of months. . Straight-forward job if you google the installation instructions.

Reply to
Jack

It probably is the rollers. I have replace them on my Maytag dryer of about the same age. The rollers are held on my a snap ring. For me the hard part was gettting the dryer drum belt back on after putting everything together again. It has to go around the motor and idler wheel and around the drum. If you do decide to try it yourself try to take some pictures of the belt install before removing it. The beld does NOT go in the groove around the drum though that grove may help when you first try to get the belt back on.

Steve

Steven L Umbach

You take it apart, the only thing that can squeak is the rollers or the belt tensioner. It can be apart, lubed with hi-temp brake caliper grease, and put back together in 15 minutes.

Reply to
Steve Barker

My dryer doesn't have rollers. It has felt pads the drum rests on. I'd think a very small amount of silicone spray on the drum where the pads are would work for me. For you guys with rollers, I suggest you find a lubriplate or silicone grease that has staying power.

Reply to
deke