hold mirror while mastic cures?

I want to glue a mirror to a bathroom wall using mirror mastic like this:

While the mastic is curing, what is a good way to hold the mirror in place that preferably does not leave any holes on the wall?

It is safe to glue mirror to a painted (latex) wall, right? The paint or the silver back of the mirror wouldn't peel off easily I hope.

Reply to
james

This is not safe unless you are sure every one of these can carry (for years and years) the weight of the mirror:

  1. Mirror silvered rear surface
  2. Adhesive (after curing, in the humid environment of a bathroom)
  3. Wall paint
  4. Wall surface to which the (primer and) paint adheres.

As soon as any of these becomes incapable of supporting the weight of the glass, you will have to clear up the mess. But perhaps you like to bet on which will fail first?

Reply to
Don Phillipson

you're supposed to use a metal track or L shaped brackets to hold up the weight.

you're gluing the latex paint to the backing paint. both might pull off but it isn't usual.

Reply to
charlie

Wrong, unless it is a very,very small mirror.

Hope won't hold but a few ounces. Use mechanical support. Call a good glass shop for the advice and parts you need. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I used a metal track that supports the bottom of the mirror almosty invisably. The track is attached to the wall studs through the drywall. Then, the mastic holds the mirror on the track.

Get it at a glass shop.

Reply to
Bob F

Trickier to use especially if the wall isn't exactly flat are those clear plastic little single screw mirror support brackets. Each has a single screw; use sufficiently long stainless screws, that go through the plasterboard into the wall uprights to support the weight. Cheap, effective; don't over-tighten screws to avoid cracking the mirror. Easier to remove mirror without damage tot the wall too!

Reply to
terry

Speaking for the guy that will be remodeling the bathroom in 20 years, don't use mastic. The clips or rails aren't that ugly. Or even frame it, and hang it like a picture.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:UQ%Wk.42827$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

"Here's the cheapest way sir. We put a suction cup on the mirror and cut the dryall out around it. Remove mirror with drywall still intact. Remove rest of drywall on entire wall. New wall installed, tape and mudd 3x, prime, caulk and paint 2x. You keep mirror of course".

Reply to
Red Green

And the drywall nails behind the mirror get pulled out of the studs how?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Red Green wrote in news:Xns9B61E3F95AE4RedGreen@216.168.3.70:

"......and sir, that'll be $1000.

Then we can start the estimate for changing the light hanging your mirror. Probably be around a hundred and fifty bucks.".

Reply to
Red Green