Hoisting a water heater into attic

Time to replace the old water heater, and I don't want to pay $350 - $500 for installation. I can easily place a winch in the attic above the access hole for lowering the old and lifting the new heater. Question is how to attach the cable to the heater itself? Would like to temporarily screw a 3/4" pipe into the threaded holes on top of heater and hook onto that. OK to do?

Reply to
Shooter Dude

Probably not a good idea. Water heaters are not the strongest device out there. I would sling it from the bottom and then raise it. Got a cargo net? If not you could use 2 slings under it and duct tape the slings to the sides while lifting. Remember duct tape is not rated for above 100 mph.

Reply to
SQLit

I think I would buy some 12 foot cargo tie-down straps. Run two at 90 degrees underneath and then up to the top. Use two more to cinch those two straps to the sides of the WH so they cannot shift. Attach your winch cable to the hooks at the top of the straps.

A net would be better, but if you are careful you can rig a safe and strong arrangement. Just be sure to test it by wiggling the WH with it a few inches off the ground before lifting it way up into the air. Better to discover a problem at a reasonable altitude!

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Eh? A pressure vessel rated for over 100 psi?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yo dude

buy 2 3/4x 6 black nipples and 2 3/4black tees

install the nipples in the outlet of the tee install the nipple/tee assembly into the top of the heater.

when I say install I mean tighten the nipples into the tees and then tighten the nipples into the heater.

How can I define tighten?

I know buy one extra 3/4 x 6 nipple. Put that in one of the runs of the tee and then rotate the extra as if it were a wrench when it gets hard to rotate any further you are done.

run your cable thru the runs of both tees and attach to the drop cable

you are making a triangle with the base of the triangle at the top of the water heater and the peak of the triangle at a point that will allow you to raise the heater to the attic.

I would not use just one point of lift but if you use both the hot and cold connection and assuming both are on top you should be able to lift the heater with no damage to the internal threads of the heater

Just dont overtighten your lifting connections

I have done this 100 gallon water heaters with no problems

Vic Plank Lancaster PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
POPPYPLANK

If it is an electric heater, they don't weigh all that much empty to begin with. Shouldn't need a winch, maybe a pulley to run a rope through.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Think big thermos bottle. Doesn't take shock loads well, and is only designed to be held up by 4 skinny legs. Try laying one over a truck tailgate sometime- look at it wrong and it will fold like a paper towel tube. Lifting eyes, or at least the lugs for them, would be a nice feature for someone to add to a water heater. Make getting up and down skinny cellar stairs a lot easier, if you could screw in grab handles so the guy on the bottom doesn't take all the weight. Personally, I'd avoid an attic water heater if at all possible- too much chance of flooding when, not if, it fails.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers