HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

Wow. I had no idea that there was any place as large as Houston with no zoning laws.

I now can better understand your attitude. In my case I'd rather switch than fight. My neck is getting just too old and stiff to have to keep looking over my shoulder... ;)

No zoning - how can that work? Oh, I see. They have no zoning but have some interesting land use regulations that take the place of zoning, apparently with worse results than zoning in some cases:
http://www.planetizen.com/node/109

I had family who lived in maryvale. frankly i liked the brightly colored mexican painted homes.
my dad moved to a HOA area with strict rules, the place turned into a dump, homes in foreclosure didnt need to meet HOA rules.
my dads new home is very nice but I prefered his old home.......
the outside colors are tightly regulated and returning after a walk one day i tried to get in his next door neighbors home. I thought my jokester brother had locked me out....
Maryvale has crime issues:( whatever happened about the maryvale cluster? high cancer rate in that area.....

The Mexican flavor only arrived in the past 15 years or so. As in many large cities the neighborhoods change over time. When I lived there (68-2000) it started out as a normal reasonably well kept up middle class neighborhood and slowly deteriorated, mostly toward the end of my stay. But it still has no HOA... ;)

Yes. I think it could almost be classed as a ghetto now. A lot of the violent crime on the evening news seems to be in that area.

They never could prove anything definite as to a cause and the controversy silently went away. I drank the water all those years and am still here. Course I've had a little skin cancer but I think that's more due to the Arizona sun than the Maryvale sun... ;)

That's dumb. Force the bank to keep up the homes to the same standards as the homeowners.

A couple of weeks ago I was visiting family in Columbus, OH. After driving around for some time it hit me, all the hoses are the same color. Not just the houses in one subdivision (no problem with that, if that's what they decide). Every subdivision looked the same, too.

I love idiots who think correlation = causation.

Not buying that. There are as many, or more, who like some control over their neighborhoods than not.
dgk wrote:

On the other hand, if I own a piece of property I should be able to do with it whatever I want. If I decide to do something not in keeping with the neighborhood, I have to be prepared for a not-pleasant response..
Here's a true story.
In my town, there is no zoning. Some years back, Shell Oil bought a corner lot in the ritziest part of town (by far). They announced plans to build a gas station.
The neighbors didn't like the idea. They cut up their Shell credit cards and mailed them to the company with notes that this was only the first step in retaliation for such rascally behavior on the part of Shell.
Those who vowed retribution included John Connally (Sec of the Navy, Governor of Texas, Sec of the Treasury, and wounded while riding with JFK in Dallas) and the sitting Secretary of Commerce, Robert Mossbacher.
Shell donated the corner lot to the city for a pocket park.
We have our ways...

Um, I'm on your side, more or less. I challenged the silly assumption that HOAs, in general, lower property values. If that were true, builders wouldn't start them.

That's a condo, no?
On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 00:42:52 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I don't know the structure, it's one of those Florida things. Each person owns their house but it's all part of a planned community. I really like it and wouldn't mind moving there in a few years.
On Tue, 1 May 2012 07:58:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Happens all the time here. There are 4000+ homes in my HOA so as you can imagine there are a lot of gripes and grumbles when citations are issued. But as I said, I (and the grumblers) knew the rules when I signed the papers. In my case I view the HOA as a protection from my neighbors rather than as a hindrance to myself...
On Tue, 1 May 2012 07:58:35 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Irrelevant.