HOA strikes again

"[FT WORTH AREA]Tuesday morning, Simmons pulled his SUV up onto his Mansfield lawn and close to his front door to unload several heavy bags of laundry from work. He then left the vehicle there while he fixed breakfast for his kids. "

Within 45 minutes his SUV was drug off and disposed of.

That'll teach 'em!

HeyBub

I would have a heart attack....and then the board would have the ambulance towed away :o)

Reply to
norminn

Why do you post these things? It's not exactly news - even if it makes the paper - that HOAs do stupid things. Surely you have more interesting stuff.

RicodJour

I have two friends living in HMA subdivisions. I told them when they moved there I wouldn't visit. And I don't.

Reply to
1D10T

Okay, you're point's well taken. Here's some random pickin's

======================

BARREL MONSTER FOLLOW-UP

The construction company wants the artist to make another.

Go figure.

----------------------

THOSE DUMB-ASS BRINKS COMMERCIALS

"...they perpetuate the stereotype that, no matter what else is happening, a woman will always drop everything to answer the phone. If someone just broke into your house ... are you going to run to answer the phone if it rings? "

But the article goes on with commentary on women and guns

Here's another commentary:

"When the male phone clerk from the security company calls the house and says that he will summon the police for her, the woman is almost wet with gratitude. 'Thank you!' she breathes into the handset."

P.S. I'm gonna add "almost wet with gratitude" to my repertoire.

-------------- PRESTON TUCKER'S COMBAT CAR

Article with archival footage of the car's capabilities

------------------

WORLD'S SHORTEST SLASHER MOVIE And topical advertisement

Video

--------------- SEATTLE POOP SHINES LASER AT AIRPLANE

The airplane, however, was a state police plane equipped with telephoto FLIR.

The state police presently had an in-depth discussion with the ass-hat.

With video

------------------ ONLY 4 STARBUCKS IN THE WHOLE TOWN- SNIFF

Detroit. Population 900,000.

No Chrysler or Jeep dealership. No national chain bookstores. No national chain grocery stores. No Walmart.

"Navigating zoning rules and other red tape to develop land for big-box stores that might cater to a low-income clientele is daunting."

--------------

Reply to
HeyBub

Wow, people think USENET is a waste of time, but picking up lines like that make all the reading worth while. That's a keeper

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here's another I picked up on USENET:

"He bitched like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank..."

Reply to
HeyBub

Which just goes to show, just as there are extreme kooks on HOA and condo boards, so too are there in the general population.

Reply to
trader4

If you read this updated story you will find that Simmons had done this several times before and did in fact receive a warning letter:

An excerpt: After News 8's report, the Remington Ranch HOA showed a written warning sent to Simmons back in May for parking on his yard. The note threatened to tow if he did it again. Simmons conceded he has ´done it on occasion, loading or unloading."

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Mr. simmons needs to either move, or get himself and a few like-minded friends elected to the HOA board.

Reply to
RB

Which just goes to show, just as there are extreme kooks on HOA and condo boards, so too are there in the general population.

I have no desire to park three blocks away for a brief visit, and don't want to trouble them to drive me to my truck (which can't be parked at their house) if it's raining at my departure time. For my grandmother who lives in a different HOA area, I'll take my chances, but she's almost 80 and has to run pickup service for her other visitors. She lives there because she has no other choice since her husband died. Great situation!

Reply to
1D10T

Which was probably a huge incentive for them to move there. ;-)

Cheir

Reply to
Cheri

I can understand a HOA suing a guy for violating the rules but towing from private property requires permission of the owner in Florida. I assumed you could shoot someone for messin with your truck in Texas. The tow truck was trespassing.

Reply to
gfretwell

> If you read this updated story you will find that Simmons had done this

Nope. Our building code can cite an auto that is "inoperable" - no/expired tags is one indication. Our condo allows only two vehicles per unit - each unit has a reserved space, and there is an additional unmarked space for each unit. We can tow anyone who doesn't belong.

Reply to
norminn

Yes. Texas law requires the physical presence of a person authorized to give permission to the tow-truck operator. In this case, it would have been the president of the HOA or his designee.

Some HOAs and apartment managers enter into an (illegal) predatory towing agreement with a wrecker service.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think HOAs can devalue a house as well as keep its value. I passed up a home I wanted to buy because the HOA dictated what kind of hoiliday decorations were allowable. I have a 18 foot star that would be banned, but all my neighbors like it.

Reply to
Phisherman

What I meant to say is that inoperable vehicles can be towed from our lot as long as there is a towing sign. The sign requirement is state-wide, AFAIK....all over the place.

Our condo allows only two vehicles

Reply to
norminn

>> If you read this updated story you will find that Simmons had done this

It is clear this was NOT an inoperable car. If your CONDO is towing it is from common property. The HOA citation indicates this is single family. The car sounds like it was on his own yard. The HOA can fine him but I am still not sure how they get the right to enter his property and tow. In Florida, if the county wants to remove trash, cars or whatever, from private property they still need a judgement from an administrative court after posting notice and waiting 15 days. They can't even mow the lawn without posting notice.

Reply to
gfretwell

How can an HOA authorize anything from the homeowner's property? Was this in a common area or in his yard?

Reply to
gfretwell

We just had a tow truck company charged with auto theft here after a spate of towing irregularities. There have been lots of these things and people who elect politicians are not taking it anymore.

Reply to
gfretwell