HOA says no pickup trucks in driveway

Page 4 of 6

That would give them a good case to void the rules.

many people must not READ the HOA docs. On the news last night was a report about how a local Orlando-area HOA is banning sales or rentals to unmarried couples or single people.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you don't read the docs before purchase and you sign that you read them, you deserve everything you get. And I'd like to see the article you are referring to.

Jim Yanik
jyanik

That is an illegal discriminatory rule and will be thrown out by the court as soon as someone takes it to court. There are many HOA's that will not allow you to rent, or only allow you to rent to a tenant for a minimum period of time to prevent transients coming and going but they don't discriminate against any group of people. There are also adult communities that won't allow a sale below the age of 55. These are perfectly legal.

That's not always the case. In my case, I came from another state I had no clue there even was an HOA until the closing, and it was either the middle or the end of that. I didn't see the docs at that time, and I don't think anyone in this n'hood has ever signed a statement to abide by them. I don't think anyone in Maryland signs a statement to abide by the rules, and some or many of my neighbors have completed the closing and moved into the house before they see a copy of anything (Articles of Incorporation, by-laws, and I think one other)
Actually I was pleased to see the papers, and I agree with everything, or almost everything in the papers I got. These are townhouses and it protects me from obnoxious neighbors. I suspect the typical rules for free-standing houses are different, and I suspect if I saw a typical set of them, I'd like them too.
Although some people might not. But even if one does know and approve of the rules, the rules are often changed later by stupid or excessively selfish or dishonest boards, or even a couple members of the board. Or rules are imposed by a "Architecture committee" that might only have one person on it if no one else voluteers, of if they do but the chairman doesn't bother to call them under after he has made the rules he wants.
There are many ways to screw over one's neighbors using the HOA rules, some of which are inevitably judgment calls, and it's very hard to show that personal malice was a motive, as it often is. Or at the very list, "I like to do things my way, and I'm going to make sure you do things my way too". The written documents rarely go into much detail, so there is plenty of room for abuse.
In my case, the current pres of the HOA is a liar, a cheat, and a thief, but no one wants the job but she. She does it for the emotional satisfaction of getting her way and pushing people around, and slightly for the graft she gets. Fortunately for me, her bad traits have only caused me slight inconvenience, until perhaps these past 10 months, and then only because an unreasonable neighbor moved next door to me. But she's caused lots of other small and big problems for others. Details on request.
But absolutely, I would say that 23 or 24 of my 25 years here were good, and the HOA rules helped them a great deal to be that way, rather than hindered them.
In theory there's something positive to be said for keeping some amount of goverment almost as close to oneself as possible, and not having the county government make one set of rules for everyone in the county. Details on request.
As to why one would buy in such a place, surely that was a rhetorical question. There are a dozen major factors to consider when buying a house and this is only one of them. The usual way to avoid a problem while still having the good things one wants is to spend more money, and not everyone has more money. There is a constant theme in many newsgroups that people are at fault when they don't just spend more money to avoid problems.

A friend of mine bought in a HOA and totally reviewed and approved of the rules presented at that time. What he didn't approve of was that those rules were just the start of what has become a never ending addition of stupid rules. As an example, shortly after he move there his inlaws came for a visit. (This is a subdivision where the minimum lot size is two acres and my friends house sits on 4 acres.) He inlaws came in a $200K motor home and spent two nights. They pulled totally in the driveway at the back part of the house. The motor home could only be seen from one side of the house. Two weeks after that he received a notice from the HOA that they had voted a new rule that disallowed the parking of a motorhome overnight anywhere within the subdivision.
A few months after that, he pulled the fuselage of a plane he is building in his 4-car garage out onto the driveway to do a trial mounting of the wings. He just had it out there for Saturday and Sunday before putting everything back inside his garage. A few days after that, he received notice that the board had again imposed a new rule against building an airplane in his garage. That is only a couple of the rules that have been implemented since he bought his home.

I am nearly an expert in this field. Many people do not get a copy of the cc&r's until AFTER closing. Many cc&r's are faulty, and I mean faulty in major ways. I read one where the property was described as being in two counties and three different townships. Someone had cut and pasted the document together, and musta been smokin' some good shit that day. The trouble is that mostly you run into problems after the fact, and then it costs a lot to fight. AND, usually, it's the BOARD that interprets the cc&r's and can legislate from the podium, much like the US legal system today. They're wrong, but until the law is overturned, it's the law. As in the case of the pickup. And hoisting the flag. And other cases. And cases to come.
$100,000 in legal fees? This guy won. Do you know how many people lost and are on the hook for a lot of dough? A lot.
HTH. Info from an insider.
Steve
Some jerks don't read the rules or think that they are special. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Hmmm, how about vans? The Red Green Possum van would be an eyecatcher. Here it is making light work of making apple sauce:

http://www.treehugger.com/picture-red-green-diy-applesauce.jpg
This should be OK. It is a car.

http://allcarsreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/151255.jpg
clipped

City adopted an "overlay" code that further restricts property use/appearance. No campers or commercial vehicles parked outside, certain setbacks, etc. We had a small pop-up camper in our condo lot until that was passed. Condo assn. said we couldn't park it. Got rid of it. The condo assn. tried to keep another owner from parking a "commercial" truck in the lot....the guy worked for the city and took home the city vehicle when he was on call.
The latest issue is three out of eight owners who have liens on their units for unpaid monthly assessments. One, who purchased his unit (doesn't live in it) in September has been delinquent since September. Mo. assess. close to $300/month. Just had the fourth sewer blockage in about 3 years. I contacted the city after the plumber did his work to see if city side could be the problem. City said their end was good but ran a camera up our pipe and said it was bad........I can finally thank the city for doing something. Looks like we have considerable digging in our future :o)

See, that is why I don't like HOA's. I consider both of those restrictions unreasonable, and while neither directly affects me, who's to say that something that I consider reasonable to do with my property wouldn't offend some of my more sensitive neighbors? I do own a pickup truck, and it's not particularly shiny or new. I use it for getting materials for home renovation projects, hauling large loads of trash/yard debris to the dump, etc. Not having it would result in the overall appearance of my property declining, as it would be more difficult for me to clean up around the place so it'd likely get done less often.
Fortunately I live on a laid back street with no HOA and the only comments I've heard from neighbors were thanking me for cleaning up the place. (previous owners were well-intentioned eco-nuts, but I had to neaten up some of the things that they did to the yard because it bothered me to let everything go *too* wild. It's an ongoing process, too...)
nate

Who's going to pay the lawyer bills this time? That would be real smart.

Ah, you are talking about a municipality. The HOA is a totally different beast.
Anybody in an HOA in Florida who is not familiar with the state statutes regarding their type of HOA and in particular FL 617, which deals with corporations not for profit, probably deserves what they get.
And that goes double for anyone who gets on the board.
Been there, done that,
Charlie

Truck or commercial vehicle? States vary on registration, but some allow a regular tag on a pickup truck, but a commercial tag is needed over a certain size or for commercial use. In my town, tractor trailers are restricted, others are not.

It is a good argument for doing that, but there are lots of good arguments for not doing that also**. People have to make choices.
**Watch "Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House" with Cary Grant and I forget who else.

It appears to me that USA is the America that is the country that is "Land of the Free, Home of the Brave" - as in majority being "Freedom Loving Outlaws". Look at how Prohibition and the national 55 MPH speed limit played out! Look at the bits of the "Interstate Highway Network" currently having speed limit poted 55 - and check out actual average speed through most of those!
And my fellow freedom-loving Americans living in those HOAs ruled by petty busybodies need to be as willing to waste some time running for HOA board offices and to waste some time serving in those offices! Freedom-loving Americans in HOA developments need to be willing to put in and waste some time and effort (though I may dispute such time/effort being "waste") as willingly as they like to keep firearms and use recreational drugs and violate 55 and 50 MPH speed limits on multilane limited-access highways that are parts of the "Interstate Highway Network".
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It appears to me that in most of the portions of Nevada with much homebuilding by developers, HOAs are mandated to be created.
Not that this covers most of Nevada, since most of Nevada is currently *not* being "developed" by homebuilders or homebuilding outfits. Most of Nevada, even most of the majority not owned by America's "gubmint", is undeveloped desert land that appears to me mostly available for cheap. I even expect below-average restrictions from building codes - for one thing, it appears to me that tents and "lean-to"s have low exposure to building codes while lacking municipal plumbing/sewage connections. Usual electrical codes appear to me to allow "on-grid" electrification of "better lean-to" sort of buildings and most log cabins, where the "grid power" is available/purchaseable. Not that I think that every acre or even every square mile of Nevada has "grid power" being available without some kind or another for billing to pay at least some significant part of the cost to build existence of "grid power" where there used to be none...
Some of the more-rural counties of Nevada are very large - it appears to me like 5,000-plus square miles! Check into "county law" - in case that affects what municipalities and HOAs can do!