HOA minimizes fire risk

It's in the UK, but still...

"You may think a large pool of water is a useful thing to have around in the event of a fire. But officials at a block of flats have banned children from playing in [wading] pools because they present a ?fire risk?. "

Somebody in the US is going to read this and we're doomed.

Reply to
HeyBub

This is dumb. Even if the trucks were to go on the grassy areas, I don't see how a thin metal walled swimming pool would be much of a concern for a Chief's vehicle let alone a big old pumper or ladder. Just some bureaucrats deciding kids were having too much and being too loud.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

it's worse than dumb. We have local councils stuffed full of these idiots who are otherwise unemployable. Under the last regime local authorities and central government recruited numbskulls to keep the unemployment figures down.

I've run many local charitable events for over 25 years. In the last 5 or so, it has become almost impossible due to the scores of numpties you have to get approval from. It came to a head this year with us threatening to close/move the event and contacting various dignitaries and council officers. They called a meeting at which there were millions of their staff who actually smiled at the hoops were we asked to jump through.

Everyone of them in the room should have been sacked. They serve no useful purpose.

Reply to
Clot

"... firefighters have branded the edict ridiculous and endorse the common sense view that the pools would come in handy if a fire ever did break out."

See the words "common sense"? That is not a phrase I am in the habit of using in the same sentence as the term "HOA" -- unless the sentence also includes a negative.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

But this wasn't an HOA. It was the local government bureaucracy. You take the idiocy of an HOA and concentrate it one hundred fold and you are still not nearing the idiocy of a bureaucrat.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You've got the idea!

Reply to
Clot

If HOA members are anything like condo board members, I'm not so sure. Most condo board members are people who want to be bureaucrats so bad they will do it for free in their spare time...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Newspapers in Florida this week were full of news of $850k legal fees over a several-year battle about parking a truck in the driveway. The homeowner (so far) prevailed. Must be a plush HOA to spend that kind of money :o)

Reply to
norminn

..and the board is still in place!

Reply to
krw

>> ddling-pools--case-block-firemen-breaks-out.html#ixzz0vHDJWXcS

On the other hand...

A few years ago, a representative of a Chili Cook-Off competition complained to the Houston City Council that the health inspector was hobbling them with all sorts of rules.

Mayor: "Can you give us an example?" Chili man: "Shore. They wants us to put up a TENT over the cooking area. That's over a hundred tents!" Mayor: "What about that, doctor?" Health Department guy: "It's for sanitary reasons. Tents will help prevent insects from falling into the food." Chili man: "See! That's what they don't unnerstand. We PUT bugs in the chili. Ain't nothing like some fire ants to add a little flavor!" Health Department guy: "(??!!) I give up. Cook however you want. I just don't care anymore."

Reply to
HeyBub

Most property covenants state that the homeowner is responsible for all fines and collection costs. Presumably if the HOA prevails the homeowner will be required to reimburse the HOA. Doesn't work in reverse though...

Reply to
Robert Neville

I think this all started when they tried to use a pool as a source of water and one 4-year old kid wouldn't leave when told to. Eventually he was sucked up the hose and sprayed onto the fire. He received first degree burns on 10% of his body and had to stay overnight in the hospital. His parents sued and this is the result.

Reply to
mm

When I read things like this that I thank God I=92m living in the USA where real estate is relatively cheaper so that we don=92t have to live with a HOA unless we want to.

Reply to
Molly Brown

They also say the pools would inhibit access to the fire. How often do they have fires.

And the fire engines would just drive over the pools if they were in the way. The one in the picture is less than a foot high with an aluminum, tin, or vinyl wall.

Reply to
mm

I Googled the name and found that "Homes in Havering" is some kind of management organization (private, AFAICT) that manages the complex on behalf of the local government body.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

... as long as you don't want anything reasonably modern and reasonably close to civilization.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Other associations in FL, have spent plenty of dollars. They lost so far and the homeowner can fly his American flag. (maybe a couple of cases).

Reply to
Oren

>>> ddling-pools--case-block-firemen-breaks-out.html#ixzz0vHDJWXcS

:) I'm not sure that I fully understand though. I guess this is an Across The Pond issue.

Health Dept guy still there and rightly so?

Reply to
Clot

In Florida the loser pays. This HOA lost. I think the homeowner spent around $100K, but perhaps that was included in the $850.

Reply to
norminn

Governments like HOAs because HOA can pass regulations that would be unconstitution if pushed by government.

For example, the HOA of a TH we own now requires that prospective tenants have to have a criminal background check and be approved by the HOA before they can move in.

The penalty is $50/day of tenancy if that hoop isn't jumped through!

Going back to the OP, the popularity of "adult comunities" makes the point that kids and teens are often a PITA in communities. Little kids aren't too bad but they have a habit of turning into teenagers.

They just want to "encourage" the kids to be gone!

Reply to
John Gilmer