HOA minimizes fire risk

Correction: I exclaimed shock that they were still in place. That is, the board stupidly spent upwards of $1M of their homeowners money, without said homeowners so much as tar and feathering them, is shocking.

They were there long enough to spend $850K! That's the homeowner's fault.

One would hope so, but they were there long enough to spend $850K.

Who's fault is that?

Reply to
krw

...and disband the HOA, as a bad idea.

Reply to
krw

Note that fewer than half of the congresscritters are lawyers.

Reply to
krw

I've tuned down job offers to many places, mostly because there were too many lefties living there (with the inherent astronomical cost of living and taxes), but...

How about in your garage?

You do all that in the street?

Reply to
krw

I believe the case in Florida was result of an appeal, and that doesn't mean the judgement was correct. The truck was a ?Ford 350 something?? So, if the board allowed parking in the drive because a truck doesn't fit the garage, it would have set a precedent. Sounded like a very large org., several HOA's under a master HOA. Probably an expensive community, so I can see the logic in the board fighting as far as they have.

Florida had many battles over flags until a statute was passed that allows each unit to display the American (and a state or military service flag?). Many of the more publicized battles are because some people think they are more special than others....hubby in Iraq or handicapped kid. Sorry, but I'm no more or less special than all the other "special" cases. I sure don't ever want to live in a condo or HOA again, but I'd be more comfortable with clear rules known in advance. I would also want to review their records that pertain to violations and how they are handled.

Reply to
norminn

Somebody told me that a condo/HOA board member will sometimes vote against necessary maintenance because then s/he will have to pay an assessment -- "I'm planning to move anyway, so let the people who come later pay the assessment."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

wrote

If there are two garter snakes and a cobra in a cage, are you saying it is safe because less than half are poisonous? Less that half of congress still leave about 200.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I still have footprints on my face from former neighbors. After about three years of really, really hostile turmoil between those who wanted maintenance and those who didn't, a couple of owners sold and moved. We were desparate to get things back to at least civil relationships and a fairly responsible level of maintenance. Then comes a new owner who bought two units to remodel without building permits and flip them. They were pretty crass and didn't much know when to keep their mouths shut....told us from git-go that they only planned on staying about two years. OF COURSE they weren't going to ok large projects (like fixing sagging roof) and they doubled their money. It's "Lets make a deal" every day...go along and you are free to do anything you please."

Reply to
norminn

I really don't care about these details. Any HOA board that put that kind of money at risk for a "truck in the driveway" should be taken out and tarred and feathered, if not shot. Governments are bad enough, but this is stupid beyond words.

Fair enough. Such should be available on request. However, past performance is no guaranty of...

Reply to
krw

I said nothing of the kind. Over half are Demonicrats.

54/100 Senators

162/441 Congressmen (including non-voting)

-------

216/541 = 40%
Reply to
krw

clipped

It's very likely that bylaws disallow parking vehicles in driveways. Okay, so this probably isn't a community of plumbers and electricians parking their livelihood. So, community standards (meaning everyone who spent a pile of dough to live there) are such that most store their campers and boats elsewhere. Lots of neighborhoods don't allow parking long-term in drives. If the board doesn't enforce the bylaws in this guys case they might lose the next and then it's campers and boats up and down the street, in yards, etc. They could also be sued for discrimination if they don't enforce consistently. Board members can also be held PERSONALLY responsible if they don't act in fiduciary interest of property owners...so people start parking stuff all over, property values drop and Joe Blow gets sued because he didn't enforce the bylaws. No, thank you.

If there are a lot of violations actions on board meeting minutes, or if the neighborhood doesn't match the standards in the bylaws it is a sign of serious problems.

I remember an X-Files episode about HOA's...wish I had seen it before I moved to a condo.....on X-Files, the HOA enforcer was a monster that tunnelled underground and disposed of rules violators :o)

Reply to
norminn

They obviously got their head handed to them more than once about this. $850K isn't a small-claims legal bill. Give it up, already.

Of course, but again; past performance... Not sure I'd trust any documentation from an HOA, either. The best bet may be to buy a round of beers at the local watering hole. ;-)

Never watched the program, but that's funny. Humor takes at least a bit of truth. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Well, I guess I was confused by all the Looney-Tunes cartons I've seen.

Yes, I must confess, I was trying to be humorous. AFAIC, when there's a smiley it ruins the joke.

No, American. I started making up stories when I was in the 7th or

9th grade, to see if I could fool my mother and older brother at dinner.

I hope you all don't mind too much.

Reply to
mm

Of course, with the FEMA concentration camps. Comes the "red list" and "blue list". Aparently, a few of us fruits and nuts are scheduled for either immediate death, or being moved to a concentration camp for our soon to be execution. Must be true. I read it in an email.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is NOT about a homeowners association. Read the article.

This is about Council housing. Council housing is the same as our government subsidized public housing.

Council housing tenants, like our public housing tenants, can be difficult if not almost impossible to deal with. Their IQs are so low they can't let them install swimming pools because they don't know where to put them.

That's why they have to have rules that sound silly to normal people.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation.

So a Council Housing authority is the spawn of government plus HOAs? That way you get the worst of both worlds.

Without even a reach-around.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, it does appear to be "council housing", but I Googled the name and found that "Homes in Havering" is some kind of management organization (private, AFAICT) that manages the complex on behalf of the local government body.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Hence HOA?

Reply to
Oren

More like the outsourced HUD complexes, where some local group signs up to run the place for the government. All the rage a few years ago, and apparently did a lot to clean up some of the hellholes. Haven't seen any press on them lately.

Reply to
aemeijers

Are you speaking of ACORN -- it sure sounds like it....?

Reply to
Oren