HOA minimizes fire risk

Page 3 of 4

Of course, with the FEMA concentration camps. Comes the "red list" and "blue list". Aparently, a few of us fruits and nuts are scheduled for either immediate death, or being moved to a concentration camp for our soon to be execution. Must be true. I read it in an email.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When I read things like this that I thank God Im living in the USA where real estate is relatively cheaper so that we dont have to live with a HOA unless we want to.
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 13:19:41 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

They also say the pools would inhibit access to the fire. How often do they have fires.
And the fire engines would just drive over the pools if they were in the way. The one in the picture is less than a foot high with an aluminum, tin, or vinyl wall.

On 07/31/10 04:19 pm, Molly Brown wrote:

... as long as you don't want anything reasonably modern and reasonably close to civilization.
Perce

Governments like HOAs because HOA can pass regulations that would be unconstitution if pushed by government.
For example, the HOA of a TH we own now requires that prospective tenants have to have a criminal background check and be approved by the HOA before they can move in.
The penalty is $50/day of tenancy if that hoop isn't jumped through!
Going back to the OP, the popularity of "adult comunities" makes the point that kids and teens are often a PITA in communities. Little kids aren't too bad but they have a habit of turning into teenagers.
They just want to "encourage" the kids to be gone!

I dont know what you mean by reasonably modern and reasonably close to civilization but Im 22 miles from downtown Los Angeles. Thats 22 minutes with very little traffic and one hour with heavy traffic. The houses here average about $250.000 and have a large yard. Is that reasonable enough?
On 07/31/10 08:11 pm, Molly Brown wrote:

How big and how old is the house? How old is the subdivision? When we were looking for a house around here, just about everything from 1980 or so on had a(n) HOA. Our house was built in the early 1970s and in a subdivision new enough to have all underground utilities but old enough to have CC&Rs that did not establish a(n) HOA. We would have liked something a little newer but were determined to have nothing to do with HOAs.
Perce

Houses and Subdivisions very old but no HOA and no CC&R. All utilities including natural gas, sewer, water underground but electric above ground. If youre a regular at alt.home.repair then you dont care how old your house is.

I know Florida and CA are overrun with HOAs, but here in New England they are a rarity. I'd never move to a place that has one.

We had one in Vermont but its function was really only to collect money to mow and pay the taxes on some common land. It was usually about $60/year, (about 1% of our property tax), so it wasn't a big deal. Here in Alabama we have an HOA but again, it does nothing. There are some rules the builder put in but no one is around to enforce any of them, and they aren't.

I'd turn down a job offer that effectively requires me to move into an an area where my home choice options are effectively limited to ones that have HOAs. (I have heard that such areas in USA do exist.)
Unless the prospective employer can tell me where I can replace an ignition coil or a timing belt in my car close to my home, and where I have complete lack of problem with operating a soldering iron, let alone high power UV lamps of any wavelength or a Class IIIb laser in my living room or my bedroom at any moment that my scaredy-cat boyfriend is somewhere else...
(Unless a career move includes a raise sufficient to rent or otherwise acquire a separate business property for use of UV lamps, Class IIIb lasers, soldering irons, heat guns, maybe a drill press, and-the-like...)

Don Klipstein wrote:

Here in Houston we have HOAs. We also have deed restrictions. Together they cover, oh, I'd say, 1/4 of the residential property in the city.
The rest of the town is "my property, my rules." We don't even have zoning.
We do, however, have other methods of enforcing civility.
A few years ago, Shell bought a corner lot in an uber-ritzy neighborhood with a view toward inserting a gas station. The neighbors objected. They tore up their Shell credit cards. They signed petitions. The neighbors promised war, and war on a Biblical scale...
When Shell got the objections from people in the neighborhood (i.e., ex-Secretary of the Treasury John Connally, Secretary of Commerce Robert Mossbacher, etc.), Shell donated the land to the city for a "pocket park."
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 06:34:35 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

I've tuned down job offers to many places, mostly because there were too many lefties living there (with the inherent astronomical cost of living and taxes), but...

How about in your garage?

You do all that in the street?
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:06:57 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298982/Health-safety-officials-ban-paddling-pools--case-block-firemen-breaks-out.html#ixzz0vHDJWXcS
We have HOA , it's called PROPERTY taxes! Only on Condos and townhouses here which is a major ripoff. They must pay $200/hr for the lawnmower guys!
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 11:06:57 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298982/Health-safety-officials-ban-paddling-pools--case-block-firemen-breaks-out.html#ixzz0vHDJWXcS
This is NOT about a homeowners association. Read the article.
This is about Council housing. Council housing is the same as our government subsidized public housing.
Council housing tenants, like our public housing tenants, can be difficult if not almost impossible to deal with. Their IQs are so low they can't let them install swimming pools because they don't know where to put them.
That's why they have to have rules that sound silly to normal people.
Kuskokwim wrote:

Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation.
So a Council Housing authority is the spawn of government plus HOAs? That way you get the worst of both worlds.
Without even a reach-around.
On 08/02/10 09:58 am, Kuskokwim wrote:

Yes, it does appear to be "council housing", but I Googled the name and found that "Homes in Havering" is some kind of management organization (private, AFAICT) that manages the complex on behalf of the local government body.
Perce
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 16:57:08 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

Hence HOA?
Oren wrote:

More like the outsourced HUD complexes, where some local group signs up to run the place for the government. All the rage a few years ago, and apparently did a lot to clean up some of the hellholes. Haven't seen any press on them lately.
--
aem sends...

Are you speaking of ACORN -- it sure sounds like it....?