HOA minimizes fire risk

Page 2 of 4

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:52:36 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Other associations in FL, have spent plenty of dollars. They lost so far and the homeowner can fly his American flag. (maybe a couple of cases).

The legal fees incurred by the HOA are the problem of all homeowners governed by the HOA.
I would hope that at soonest-available election time the homeowners replace HOA board members that incurred big-ticket legal fees in court battles poorly chosen by busybody HOA board members.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:45:52 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

...and disband the HOA, as a bad idea.
Larry Fishel wrote:

The way I hear it, a condo board is a board of an HOA. As in, condo unit owners are homeowners governed by an HOA. Condo owners have as much right to vote in and run for office in their HOA elections as Mc-mansion owners that bought into their respective HOAs have.
I would rather have a landlord than an HOA. At least my experience so far is that landlords are lazier, and they hire and pay for only enough staff to do what needs to be done, sometimes even less. Their hired help have a tendency to prefer enjoying their evenings and weekends of whatever time-off over making enemies with the tenants. (Though I have known a few to be "Bah-Humbug, bug-off!" - but those in my experience usually don't spy on tenants beyond checking for unreported in-unit plumbing leaks, unreported vermin infestations, unreported sparking-sputtering light switches and electrical fixtures, and similarly serious ilk.)

Don Klipstein wrote:

In Florida, HOAs and condos are entirely different animals with their own sets of statutes.

Our condo has attics above the second floor units, some of which were infested with rats years ago. When a renter called city code enforcement folks about animal noises in attic, the inspector determined only that there was a dust-ball in the AC duct. He didn't check the attic.
We had sewer backups three times...our unit is closest to the street, so our commodes backed up first. One time, bad enough that sewage saturated about half the carpet in master bedroom. I called the city, they ran a camera up the sewer line, determined it was "in bad shape" and installed a cleanout at the edge of our property. Condo assn. also did a video; no repair yet. The official name for our code enforcement folks is "Community Response Team"....yep, they respond but they don't do anything.
On 07/31/10 01:18 pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I Googled the name and found that "Homes in Havering" is some kind of management organization (private, AFAICT) that manages the complex on behalf of the local government body.
Perce

What I hear from family members and friends is that HOAS tend to be worse because their busybodies are not lazy. While municipal governments have more of a tendency to be lazy.
I have yet to hear of municipal governments forbidding people from parking trucks on their driveways, regulating house paint colors and color schemes to such extent as sometimes effectively specifying a particular brand, forbidding people from working on their own cars on their own driveways, forbidding above-ground pools where in-ground pools are allowed, forbidding outdoor solar/wind drying of laundry, or forbidding someone from romantically kissing a date in front of the home before going in for the night.
That gets me thinking that in comparison, NYC is more reasonable despite banning specific breeds of dogs and a cat hybrid, and CA is more reasonable by banning sale of paraboloidal microphones and .50-BMG rifles. That gets harder to enforce, since cops don't tour homes the way I hear HOA busybodies often get to do one way or another. A cop needs a warrant to look for my .50-BMG rifle or my paraboloidal microphone. Heck, my experience is that landlords are not busybodies the way HOA board members are said to be.
One laziness of some municipal governments: Make HOAs responsible for maintenance of the sewer utility (if any) and neighborhood-level/street-level water distribution, local roads, things like that... Make the developer build those and write deeds ordaining existence of an HOA whose duties include in part maintaining these... The municipal government then gets to brag about its taxes being lower... The HOA busybodies get to hire their buddies to do the maintenance on the roads and the under-street water lines and any sewer lines there...
Do enough homeowners that have HOAs go to their HOA meetings to hold to the fire the feet of "that level of government"? So that, for example, road maintenance is performed at a reasonable frequency and to a reasonable extent by the winner of a reasonable competitive bidding process? (Of course, I wish people also held municipal gubmint feet to their respective fires.)
Do enough homeowners who are not "busybodies" run for election to their HOA boards? It's hard enough to get good-honest people to run for municipal, county and state government offices for that matter!
And as much as Americans like to bash lawyers, why do Americans vote for so many of them for state government legislative offices and for both houses of US Congress?

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Sorta depends. I have known bureaucrats to get a bug up their ass about things and, with the police powers available to the government, have made life miserable.

There are a couple that come close. Things like driveways, regulation of colors and in-ground pools have been included in the zoning variances for subdivisions around here. Height is another biggy. And then there are the restrictions on historic houses, but that is more self-inflicted since you have to apply for them or know the status when you buy them.

That is largely self-inflicted, again. You should know the neighborhood busy-bodies and just don't invite them into your house.

Lawyers are the only ones who can take the time off from actually doing work to run.
and name it after the IRS.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Florida passed a new condo law in, I believe, 2009, that bans board members from serving on boards if they are in arrears with their maintenance assessment. That would have saved a lot of grief for my condo a few years back. Imagine condo owners wanting and needing repairs, like new roof, and a deadbeat on the board voting it down. It gets really, really nasty. There aren't any professional standards or ethics in my area....
On 08/01/10 10:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote:

Somebody told me that a condo/HOA board member will sometimes vote against necessary maintenance because then s/he will have to pay an assessment -- "I'm planning to move anyway, so let the people who come later pay the assessment."
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I still have footprints on my face from former neighbors. After about three years of really, really hostile turmoil between those who wanted maintenance and those who didn't, a couple of owners sold and moved. We were desparate to get things back to at least civil relationships and a fairly responsible level of maintenance. Then comes a new owner who bought two units to remodel without building permits and flip them. They were pretty crass and didn't much know when to keep their mouths shut....told us from git-go that they only planned on staying about two years. OF COURSE they weren't going to ok large projects (like fixing sagging roof) and they doubled their money. It's "Lets make a deal" every day...go along and you are free to do anything you please."
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 04:57:11 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Note that fewer than half of the congresscritters are lawyers.

If there are two garter snakes and a cobra in a cage, are you saying it is safe because less than half are poisonous? Less that half of congress still leave about 200.

I said nothing of the kind. Over half are Demonicrats.

54/100 Senators 162/441 Congressmen (including non-voting) ------- 216/541 = 40%

I think this all started when they tried to use a pool as a source of water and one 4-year old kid wouldn't leave when told to. Eventually he was sucked up the hose and sprayed onto the fire. He received first degree burns on 10% of his body and had to stay overnight in the hospital. His parents sued and this is the result.

It appears to me extremely incredible for a 4-year-old to pass through a fire hose (generally 6 inches in diameter or less, usually less) and the nozzle at the end of the fire hose, and to both pass that far and remain being a 4-year-old live human needing only an overnight hospital stay, whether or not also surviving being tossed into a fire worth fighting with a hose and a pump that can pass a 4-year-old child.
I would repeat, "extremely incredible". And I consider such to be so "incredible" that I would like to add a phrase that comes to my mind with such an extreme claim, whether the cited link supports it or (preferably) does not support it: "Credibility problem".
Or does one have a cite for a 4-year-old child being sucked from a pool by firefighting equipment, and afterwards passed by the firefighting equipment to be tossed onto the fire (or scorched property), and needing only an overnight hospital stay with most-notable injuries being 1st-degree burns over 10% of skin area?

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
-snip-

-snip-
You are kind. The word that pops in my head is "bullshit".

The world *is* a very big place, but I'd have to see the cite about the part of the world with such large firehoses, such kind pumps, and such lucky little boys.
Jim

The word that popped into my mind was wry humor.

Now that you mention it--- and after I consider that mm has been posting here a while & I haven't noted any flaming net-nuttiness about previous postings. . . . maybe that was the loud 'zoom' I heard this morning.
Jim [if mm is British that would explain a lot-- I never get their humor]

Well, I guess I was confused by all the Looney-Tunes cartons I've seen.

Yes, I must confess, I was trying to be humorous. AFAIC, when there's a smiley it ruins the joke.

No, American. I started making up stories when I was in the 7th or 9th grade, to see if I could fool my mother and older brother at dinner.
I hope you all don't mind too much.