HOA minimizes fire risk

Page 1 of 4

It's in the UK, but still...
"You may think a large pool of water is a useful thing to have around in the event of a fire. But officials at a block of flats have banned children from playing in [wading] pools because they present a ‘fire risk’. "
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298982/Health-safety-officials-ban-paddling-pools--case-block-firemen-breaks-out.html#ixzz0vHDJWXcS
Somebody in the US is going to read this and we're doomed.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This is dumb. Even if the trucks were to go on the grassy areas, I don't see how a thin metal walled swimming pool would be much of a concern for a Chief's vehicle let alone a big old pumper or ladder. Just some bureaucrats deciding kids were having too much and being too loud.
and name it after the IRS.
βœ–
Kurt Ullman wrote:

it's worse than dumb. We have local councils stuffed full of these idiots who are otherwise unemployable. Under the last regime local authorities and central government recruited numbskulls to keep the unemployment figures down.
I've run many local charitable events for over 25 years. In the last 5 or so, it has become almost impossible due to the scores of numpties you have to get approval from. It came to a head this year with us threatening to close/move the event and contacting various dignitaries and council officers. They called a meeting at which there were millions of their staff who actually smiled at the hoops were we asked to jump through.
Everyone of them in the room should have been sacked. They serve no useful purpose.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Clot wrote:

On the other hand...
A few years ago, a representative of a Chili Cook-Off competition complained to the Houston City Council that the health inspector was hobbling them with all sorts of rules.
Mayor: "Can you give us an example?" Chili man: "Shore. They wants us to put up a TENT over the cooking area. That's over a hundred tents!" Mayor: "What about that, doctor?" Health Department guy: "It's for sanitary reasons. Tents will help prevent insects from falling into the food." Chili man: "See! That's what they don't unnerstand. We PUT bugs in the chili. Ain't nothing like some fire ants to add a little flavor!" Health Department guy: "(??!!) I give up. Cook however you want. I just don't care anymore."
Add pictures here
βœ–
HeyBub wrote:

:) I'm not sure that I fully understand though. I guess this is an Across The Pond issue.
Health Dept guy still there and rightly so?
Add pictures here
βœ–

Chili contests have been held for decades around the country. All the cooking is done outside. Bugs just don't fall from the sky so a tent is not going to help. May even be a fire hazard if a grill flares up. Millions of Americans grill outside under the open sky. .
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 07/31/10 12:06 pm, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1298982/Health-safety-officials-ban-paddling-pools--case-block-firemen-breaks-out.html#ixzz0vHDJWXcS
"... firefighters have branded the edict ridiculous and endorse the common sense view that the pools would come in handy if a fire ever did break out."
See the words "common sense"? That is not a phrase I am in the habit of using in the same sentence as the term "HOA" -- unless the sentence also includes a negative.
Perce
Add pictures here
βœ–

But this wasn't an HOA. It was the local government bureaucracy. You take the idiocy of an HOA and concentrate it one hundred fold and you are still not nearing the idiocy of a bureaucrat.
and name it after the IRS.
βœ–
Kurt Ullman wrote:

You've got the idea!
Add pictures here
βœ–

If HOA members are anything like condo board members, I'm not so sure. Most condo board members are people who want to be bureaucrats so bad they will do it for free in their spare time...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Larry Fishel wrote:

Newspapers in Florida this week were full of news of $850k legal fees over a several-year battle about parking a truck in the driveway. The homeowner (so far) prevailed. Must be a plush HOA to spend that kind of money :o)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:52:36 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

..and the board is still in place!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Most property covenants state that the homeowner is responsible for all fines and collection costs. Presumably if the HOA prevails the homeowner will be required to reimburse the HOA. Doesn't work in reverse though...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robert Neville wrote:

In Florida the loser pays. This HOA lost. I think the homeowner spent around $100K, but perhaps that was included in the $850.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Cost to the HOA is cost to the homeowners that the HOA has jurisdiction over.
A few posts back, KRW claimed that the HOA is still in place, although I have yet to see a cite of the responsible (or irresponsible) members of the HOA board in question surviving re-election.
I hope the HOA board members in question here get thrown out and land on their kiesters on hard pavement. I hope the homeowners care enough to replace the board members in question at soonest-available election time.
Or are the homeowners that have votes going to be like Philadelphian voters often are - voting for experience over "not being part of the problem", or not lift their rumps on election day and allow the problematic incumbents to be re-elected by themselves, each other and their buddies?

βœ–
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 05:40:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Correction: I exclaimed shock that they were still in place. That is, the board stupidly spent upwards of $1M of their homeowners money, without said homeowners so much as tar and feathering them, is shocking.

They were there long enough to spend $850K! That's the homeowner's fault.

One would hope so, but they were there long enough to spend $850K.

Who's fault is that?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I believe the case in Florida was result of an appeal, and that doesn't mean the judgement was correct. The truck was a ?Ford 350 something?? So, if the board allowed parking in the drive because a truck doesn't fit the garage, it would have set a precedent. Sounded like a very large org., several HOA's under a master HOA. Probably an expensive community, so I can see the logic in the board fighting as far as they have.
Florida had many battles over flags until a statute was passed that allows each unit to display the American (and a state or military service flag?). Many of the more publicized battles are because some people think they are more special than others....hubby in Iraq or handicapped kid. Sorry, but I'm no more or less special than all the other "special" cases. I sure don't ever want to live in a condo or HOA again, but I'd be more comfortable with clear rules known in advance. I would also want to review their records that pertain to violations and how they are handled.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 13:54:10 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

I really don't care about these details. Any HOA board that put that kind of money at risk for a "truck in the driveway" should be taken out and tarred and feathered, if not shot. Governments are bad enough, but this is stupid beyond words.

Fair enough. Such should be available on request. However, past performance is no guaranty of...
Add pictures here
βœ–
clipped

It's very likely that bylaws disallow parking vehicles in driveways. Okay, so this probably isn't a community of plumbers and electricians parking their livelihood. So, community standards (meaning everyone who spent a pile of dough to live there) are such that most store their campers and boats elsewhere. Lots of neighborhoods don't allow parking long-term in drives. If the board doesn't enforce the bylaws in this guys case they might lose the next and then it's campers and boats up and down the street, in yards, etc. They could also be sued for discrimination if they don't enforce consistently. Board members can also be held PERSONALLY responsible if they don't act in fiduciary interest of property owners...so people start parking stuff all over, property values drop and Joe Blow gets sued because he didn't enforce the bylaws. No, thank you.

If there are a lot of violations actions on board meeting minutes, or if the neighborhood doesn't match the standards in the bylaws it is a sign of serious problems.
I remember an X-Files episode about HOA's...wish I had seen it before I moved to a condo.....on X-Files, the HOA enforcer was a monster that tunnelled underground and disposed of rules violators :o)
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 16:30:25 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

They obviously got their head handed to them more than once about this. $850K isn't a small-claims legal bill. Give it up, already.

Of course, but again; past performance... Not sure I'd trust any documentation from an HOA, either. The best bet may be to buy a round of beers at the local watering hole. ;-)

Never watched the program, but that's funny. Humor takes at least a bit of truth. ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–