HOA demands resident's web site come down

Page 4 of 4

Looks like we'll see unless the dude chickens out. If that is how it works out then it means the HOA is NOT a private entity.

It is until the decision is made on whether or not the HOA is a private entity. If it is indeed a private entity, then it is not beholden to the First Amendment.
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 09:13:30 -0700, jJim McLaughlin

If you like sleep inducing reading you can try to sort this all out here http://flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0720/ch0720.htm but the answer must be ambiguous or the lawyer wouldn't have taken the case. Of course a lawyer can always find something ambiguous if you pay them to.

The Constitution limits what the Government CAN do. People are free to do anything they please, as long as they don't violate the rights of others. In your above example, you've violating the property rights of the mall owners because you'd be doing something they don't want done on their property. In the web site example, the owner isn't violating any rights of anybody.

Except that eventually, the only place you'll be able to buy is into a neighborhood with an HOA, unless you want to live 3 hours from your work.

I suspect that as the Matlock generatrion fades into the sunset you will see a lot of these HOAs let their deed restrictions lapse. You just have to wake up the "silent majority" and get them to show up at the annual meeting. Usually HOAs are dominated by a couple dozen people since they are the ones who show up. In real life all you really want to do is lose the stupid rules you inherited from the developer and piss people off. That is not that hard a process. You just need the votes.
Bud wrote:

I am finding plenty of areas lacking HOAs in "inner ring suburbs" of Philadelphia. By this I mean most residences in municipalities bordering Philadelphia, and most residences in municipalities that border ones that border Philadelphia. I see HOAs in the Philadelphia area being more common in municipalities 3-4 or so removed from Philadelphia, often in a county that does not border Philadelphia or over 10 miles (often over 20 miles) from Philadelphia city limits or both! I also see high lack of HOAs within Philadelphia's city limits, though I am low on nice things to say about the municipal level of government there, as well as on the PA "state" government! And I see NJ as being minor improvement!
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in

Older areas often don't have HOAs. (built before the advent of HOAs) Many people value that.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The HOA is ridiculous in its claim on trademark infringement. There have to be thousands of "Hamptons" type names around. The original, IIRC, describes a geographical area in New England.
Zaki's position on the gas lights is spot on. We do field investigations for HOA reserve audit studies. Gas lights are about as inefficient a way you can go to light an area that there is. Plus, they run 24/7 and that costs a lot. And that doesn't include the replacement cost of parts, and whole lights that are destroyed by various means.
And then, there's the safety issue re: gas. Anyone with a room temperature IQ has to agree that it is dangerous.
All the HOA stuff historically started in Florida, where retirees went, and the HOA situation evolved.
I hope Zaki countersues for infringement on his freedom of speech.
Trouble is, the lawyers are the ones who profit. People have won all sorts of judgments against HOAs, but they are costly.
Steve

good! Maybe they'll stop you from being such a scumbag spammer.