HOA demands resident's web site come down

Interesting. I guess we'll see what happens. If you happen to recall, was this based on specifics on a state law or where they attempting to get it declared that way on some other way that might be applicable to all 50?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Probably depends on the original set-up. The developers around here put in the roads, get them inspected by the city and then they are given to the city or county. They are public roads.

That might depend on the state if it is applicable at all. In Indiana, for instance, many cities (and even more towns and no townships or below) don't do trash pick-up. In those areas, it is up to the individual. Our HOA decided to contract for trash pick-up because we got a good deal and got tired of having one or two garbage cans out every day.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Those kind of gates that stay open as long as a line of cars keep passing over it? The first guy presses his remote, and you could drive a semi truck in after him as long as you get to the coils before the auto close mode starts. And even then, some gates are set to open if another car comes within the loops before the gate is closed.

I hear what you're saying, but gates are an item that provides a low level of security.

Guards are a different matter. At some HOAs, they only have a day shift. And they have only one guard. So, if he goes on rounds, no one to watch the gate. And nine times out of ten, the guard can't run 100 feet or scale a six foot fence. And are unarmed.

Fences, gates, and guards do not keep out the riff raff. They're like monkeys. If they want in, they will just come in any way they can.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Kurt Ullman" wrote

That varies with each locality just like the weather. Asphalt replacement is $ .95 per square foot, and has a life span of twenty to thirty years. Seal coating is $ .20 per square foot, and a good sealcoat job lasts five years. And that varies with the area, too.

I have houses on a county street in that location. When there's an issue, they send out a patch team, but I have yet to see them entirely seal coat the entire cul de sac in five years. It needs it. We do get gypsies who leave flyers, but we haven't and won't take them up on it. In a HOA, they will do small patch jobs, but they usually do sealcoating more frequently than cities or counties.

The asphalt area in most HOAs is one of the biggest areas, in there with landscaping. I have seen landscape percentages from 11 to 47 percent of the total property, usually dictated by the age. The new ones are higher density. Streets don't vary in percentages as much as you need a certain amount of streets for a certain property. Also, you can kill landscape areas and xeriscape or pave over, and you can't do that with asphalt.

Apply the math with asphalt areas running up to a million square feet of asphalt, and that's a good chunk of the monthly assessment, along with the landscaping.

HTH. Just little tidbit of info.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

Older areas often don't have HOAs. (built before the advent of HOAs) Many people value that.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Some communities have 24/7 guards but more to the point, they all say they are private on signs and you would be tresspassing if you went in. The community my wife manages also has a very sophistocated camera setup that can zoom in on the tag number. It might be possible to "tailgate" someone through the gate if the guard was not there but you would also have the resident you are tailgating to deal with. Bear in mind, they know you are on camera too so your assault/tresspassing charge will be a slam dunk in court. These people are serious about security. That is why they pay all that money for gates, guards and the cost of maintaining their private roads. Occasionally they do have someone ram the gate, if it is a small car, that is where you will find them. A big truck will get through. The last one at my wife's place got a $12,000 bill for the gate, delivered by the sheriff, along with the handcuffs for the tresspassing charge. They had excellent pictures of the truck, the tag and the driver when he got out to see what he could to to get his truck going again.

They also had someone break into the guard shack, trying to steal the tapes. OOPS, it was on a LAN and the real pictures were on a hard drive in the server room up in the club house. A felony burglary/larceny charge went with that one. The guy stole the wrong computer so they had him coming and going on camera.

BTW this is the "Gunshine" state, you can't count on anyone being unarmed. Over half the guards I know pack "concealed". We just passed a law that says you do not have the "obligation of retreat" anywhere "you have a legal right to be".

Reply to
gfretwell

That all depends on whether you have a gated community or a public road community. An HOA could be set up either way. I live in a public road community but most HOAs around here are willing to maintain their own roads for the privacy. BTW the gates and guards cost more than maintaining the road. Gates are a constant maintenance nightmare. It is could easily cost each resident $1000 a year for that amenity. Since they do control access their roads do last longer. You don't have big trucks taking shortcuts down your road.

Reply to
gfretwell

More power to them!

Cameras with recording in a different location, preferably more than one camera so that a perp gets recorded unless destroying all cameras before being recorded (with recordings going to remote locations) by any of the cameras. May as well have plenty of trees to stash a couple extra cameras in!

And if I have to live in a country where any Joe can have a gun, then I things are "less-bad" if there is a system allowing concealed-carry by law-abiding citizens. (Whether by having a permit requirement and application process, or otherwise by targeting arrestees and persons producing "adequately suspicious behavior" and probationers and parolees and persons-subject-to-protection-from-abuse-orders for personal searching for weapons that they legally must not have and that everyone else is allowed to have).

One comment of mine: Washington DC - it appears to me that they are trying too hard to disarm those that would obey a municipal law to be disarmed in a country where outlaws merely have to go out of town (possibly by only a few miles into Virginia) to get guns that only outlaws have in Washington DC. I see gun control working well on a national scale, hardly on a provincial ("USA "state") scale, and negatively on a municipal scale.

Another comment of mine: Philadelphia trying for municipal gun control, and trying to add restrictions to getting "concealed carry" permits. What I would like to say there: What percentage of Philadelphians that have concealed carry permits are committing gun crimes? What percentage of Philadelphians that do not have concealed carry permits are committing gun crimes? The statistics: In Philadelphia, people without concealed-carry-permits are more likely to unlawfully/unjustly shoot you (or anyone) than people with concealed-carry permits - despite the "fact" that those with concealed-carry perits are supposed to be more likely to be armed!

In Philadelphia, gun crimes tend to be committed with handguns - many by persons of age under 21, though USA Federal law does not allow persons under 21 to posess a handgun. Legally in the USA, someone using or handling a handgun while under age 21 is supposed to be under supervision by someone of age at least 21 that "is in charge of the handgun in question" and "adequately" supervising its use/handling.

This means "No Problem" if I let my hypothetical 12-year-old nephew or niece operate my hypothetical handgun while I adequately supervise such at a shooting range or my backyard in Berks County PA.

But a teenager with saggy pants in an inner-city Philadelphia neighborhood has no business "packing heat". If approached by police officers requesting ID and search, then:

  • - Approached-person produces ID with proof of age at least 21, then if that person is not on probation or parole then maybe constitutionally or morally-by-USA-Constitution that person maybe should be "free from that point".

  • - Person is unable to prove when approached by patrolling cops that such approached person is allowed on basis of age and lack of probation/parole status to be allowed to carry a handgun: Such person better not be carrying one. However, evidence of being a criminal other than such gets to being a matter of "warrantless search", and penalties could easily be limited to confiscation of what the questionee is barred by law to posess if this process occurs on public property or a "public easement" such as a sidewalk or in or on grounds owned/leased by a "public accomodation" (such as a business open to the public as opposed to something being to at least some arguable extent a "private club").

Don Klipstein

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:05:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote Re Re: HOA demands resident's web site come down:

As it should be.

Reply to