HOA conflict

Page 1 of 2

"A homeowner in California is fighting his HOA because they won't let him get a guard llama."

Maybe it's a no-pets area?
Otherwise a couple of geese would make a good alarm system. And can be quite aggressive!
AIUI the population of Rome was saved from the invasion by the Gaul's night attack, in 390BC, by the cackling of their geese!
Geese would also fit in with the movement in some cities to encourage 'Garden Agriculture'. Keep a few chickens and a rooster and have daily fresh eggs and an insect free garden!
If not chickens then geese!
Also geese do a good job of trimming grass! In general they are quieter than a power mower and don't need gasoline. They will also consume kitchen scraps, thus recycling it into something useful for Christmas!
Ah; wasn't Shakespeare correct when he wrote "Lord what fools these mortals be". (Puck; in Midsummer Night's Dream.)
terry wrote:

Geese and ducks are pretty to watch- from a distance. I like to be able to walk barefoot outside. If you have a colony of waterfowl on the property, like the apartments I lived in for a dozen years, forget it. Crap everywhere. If you have a hanging birdfeeder on your patio, you get an extra helping, since they stop by daily to vacuum up the spillage. I finally had to put up a string barricade to keep them out- 3 strings in a triangular cross section, so they couldn't step through or over. A 3-dimensional fence baffled them. They apparently can't take off without a running start, so they didn't want to fly in to the small patio and get trapped.
That apartment project is only a mile from here- sometimes I drive through just to see the ducks, They are cute as they march across the roads all in a row, up to the high spot on the property, to watch the sun go down. It's a duck thing- I've seen them do the exact same thing is several different states.
--
aem sends...

Most cities don't allow FARM animals in residential neighborhoods.

at least geese are not farm animals,but wild birds.

living in an apartment,I'm more concerned with DOG shit than I am bird droppings,and we have a lot of ducks around. I've never tracked duck crap into my apartment.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Gee: Jim was thinking of 'domesticated' geese; not the 'free ranging' variety! And yes, by the way I was on unsure ground, it was a 'crappyy' suggestion. PS. Why do they call some 'wild' ones Canada Geese when they spend half their time elsewhere?

This reminded me of something that happened once. A communications tech was on a ladder, fixing a trip-wire on a fence next to the Miami Metro Zoo. (not part of the Zoo) He was standing on the ground later, and an escaped Llama from the Zoo accosted him. The slobber from the Llama got his hair all wet. I saw Randy in another state years later and we laughed about it!!!!!!

This may be how llamas do their guarding. They slobber on intruders.

I'm not sure for certain. I am cautious of spitting cobras and camels that slobber. Not to mention a giraffe with a 16" tongue.
I can't have Nigerian Dwarf Goats!

Maybe get Double Dwarf Goats and no one will see them.

"One is the black and white one is two years and the tri-colored one is a year old. "....
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/1729686291.html

I'd have to read the contract but I think a llama is classified as "livestock". If the HOA allowed it they could be opening a can of worms. Next could be chickens and pigs.
JimT wrote:

Exactly why I won't live in an area with a HOA - I don't like having to keep my worms in cans!
I live in an area of of our city that looks like any other suburb full of detached single family homes, only we have horses and cows within walking distance (the closest horses are only a 3 minute walk away). The properties are grandfathered from the days when this was a farming community.

We kept a horse in our backyard until the city made us rent a stable. It wasn't long after that my father sold the horse. The flies were pretty bad but I was the luckiest kid on the block for awhile.

Hey good suggestion; " Hillybillies elected to HOA. Home farming approved!"
On Sun, 9 May 2010 06:09:44 -0700 (PDT), terry

Ask a different question. Why are there no developments designed for hhillbillies with rules that would suit them. We should be the first to do that. That's how we can get rich.
mm wrote:

Think about it. You used hillbillies and rules in the same sentence. Have you ever know those two concepts to not be mutually exclusive? What is the HOA gonna do, dictate what color the car up on blocks in the front yard has to be, or how many dogs can be sleeping on the porch at once?
--
aem (as hillbilly as I can get away with in this rural subdivision full
of strait-laced retirees) sends....

Well they could always say that the car on blocks has to be American make and no more than one-dog on the porch can be a foo-foo non-hunting dog.
and name it after the IRS.

All, called Yard Ornaments. This would include boat hulls, tires, and a few honey look what I found items.

Well, I should have said "lack of rules". I was still thinking like a city slicker, but I can get over that if there's enough money to be made.

No, those are too restrictive.
One rule would be you can't block the road with your unoperative truck. But anywhere on your property would be fine. 2) You have to bury dead dogs and any animal as big as a cat or larger. Or eat them.
I tell you, there's a gold mine here for all those who don't like HOA's with rules.
New rules would require 100% support.

Could do as a friend of mine in IL. He deemed that the proposed HOA rules by the developer were invasive so he purchased the entire development and then changed the rules. No HOA.