Hmmmm I wonder why the ends of drywall aren't tapered also?

Steve Barker wrote: >
Mostly because of how drywall is traditionally produced -- a continuous sheet that's chopped to length.
That's not to say it isn't being done. Lafarge has been making 4 tapered edge drywall for at least 5 years. I don't know if it's widely available in the US, though. Google Lafarge Synia

You mean that if I built a castle with 100 foot tall walls, I could just tell the company to cut the continuous sheet at 100 foot intervals?
And just think of those huge ceilings in warehouses. If the warehouse ceiling is 40 ft. X 180 ft. I'd only need 10 sheets of 180 ft long drywall.
Then again, why not just have a portable drywall making machine that you bring on the job and custom make the drywall sheets to just fit the room. One sheet for each wall, and another one for the ceiling. All one piece sheets. That would eliminate all that nasty taping joints. Just mud the 4 corners and around the ceiling edges.
Better yet, how about liquid drywall, or rolls of dehydrated drywall, where you just unroll what looks like paper, apply it to the wall framing with two sided tape, and spray it with water. The water makes the paper thicken to 1/2". Then allow it to dry for an hour, and the whole room is finished.
Actually there may come a time when drywall comes in bags. You'll cover the wall with wooden laths, then you'll mix the bags of drywall powder with water in an electric mixer, and then you will apply the drywall with a trowel. That would be a huge advancement in technology!!! Just think, no taping joints!
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com writes:

Mike's right.
Didn't you guys see the "How's it Made" episode for drywall manufacture?
Yes they could make drywall any length you want, but the logistics of getting it out of the building and on to the truck would be a real problem.
--
Dan Espen

Where have you been? Thats the way it used to be done. It was called PLASTER. ww

On 5/10/2012 8:34 AM, WW wrote: ...

whoosh...
On Thu, 10 May 2012 02:36:14 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Sheetrock in a castle is so tacky.

He said the length was continuous, not the width.

That's a good idea. We could get rich. You develop it and I'll publicize it.

Better yet.

Yea, they really should use panelling !!!
Because then they couldn't sell you the tool that tapers the ends.<g>
you can buy tapered ends-- just not at your local borg. [Though they might be able to order it for you--- Might be fun to ask for some one day]
Just don't do any rooms longer than 14 [16?] feet and you don't need to worry about it.
Jim
On 5/10/2012 6:50 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

the taper would still be nice in the corners.
--
Steve Barker

Maybe you could ask them to sell the tapered ends separately. That way you put up a sheet of regular drywall and place the tapered ends wherever you want them.
On Thu, 10 May 2012 12:40:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Do you have to get equal quantities of left and right ends?

Of course, otherwise they wont match.....

I want the drywall with only one end.