Hitachi wheelbarrow compressor EC2510E

Got this gas-powered Hitachi compressor as a gift:

It is rated at 9 CFM at 100 PSI. However, the manual says it is limited to operating nailers and staplers. Hitachi Tech Support says the small tank size mandates this limit.

I find this confusing and misleading. Apparently, it can do 9 CFM at

100 PSI, but only for a few minutes and then it must idle to cool down. Tech Support does not seem to know or won't say what its duty cycle is. I think they should state it in ther specs, which they don't.

I am trying to figure out if I can use this for some other apps that require 7 CFM at 50 PSI more or less continuously, like spraying and blowing out sprinkler lines. Again, no help from Hitachi Tech Support. Anyone have experience with these compressors with 5.5HP Honda engines?

I also asked Hitachi what the max recommended operating temperature was for their Hitachi-branded 5W50 synthetic compressor oil, but they did not seem to know that, either. If I knew that, I could monitor compressor temp and avoid overheating.

Meanwhile, I see lots of these on eBay "factory reconditioned" so contractors must be having problems and there is something to worry about. I am already worried about how unhelpful their Tech Support is.

Ken C

Reply to
Chevy454

While a bit slow, Hitachi Tech Support ultimately came through with good answers concerning this gas-powered wheelbarrow compressor.

1) It should run at a 50-50 duty cycle (run/idle) with 70-30 being the max. A ten-minute cycle is recommended, but up to 30 minutes of continuous run should be OK.

2) Compressor head temperature should be kept under 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Based on this information, it is unclear that an aux tank for modest continuous residential jobs like spraying or sandblasting provides any real value because you don't gain much idle time for the compressor, which can handle the load regardless of tank size. You do, however, have to rest 3 minutes of every ten to give the unit a chance to cool down.

Ken C

Reply to
Chevy454