Hitachi Split A/C Sold Online- A Question

I'd like to know if anyone has had experience with the RAS09UH selling for around $550-$650 online. For this price you get the condenser, the evaporator and a remote control. Some have said that price is impossibly low, but it does seem to exist as I have seen them on several websites.. I guess all you would need would be things like the tubing, but that might be included as well. I was hoping to be able to find this product locally, thus saving the shipping cost. So I called Hitachi and asked for a distributor in New England. They gave me the number of a company called Soleus International. They told me they are only sold online. I thought this was a bit odd for a big company like Hitachi not to have local distributors. Anybody heard of this being done commonly? Help much appreciated! Frank .

Reply to
frank1492

My Samsung mini-split system was $1200 as I recall, so $600 is not impossibly low depending on the size. I looked into buying it online but I found reports that you need some special tools and knowhow to evacuate the air from the system during installation. Other than the evacuation it probably isn't too hard to DYI.

Reply to
David Alexander

What is the BTU of your Samsung? The Hitachi is 9000 I believe.

Reply to
frank1492

If I recall correctly mine's 18000 BTU (1.5 Ton). It might even be

24000 but for some reason I don't think so. I'm remodeling my den right now and I don't know where my docs are but I could look at the unit in the morning.

Just did a quick check on some internet prices. Looks like the 9000 BTU Samsung is around $1200. I think mine must have been closer to $1600 or $1800. I see those Hitachis are going for ~$500 or so. Sure is tempting. My den is upstairs and it gets uncomfortable in the Summer. I've been kicking myself for not getting a 2-zone system and splitting it between the garage and the den. I could pick up the Hitachi as a supplement for my central air in the den.

Reply to
David Alexander