Hissing Well Casing

Hi: Heard a hissing sound in the well casing, which looks to be water spraying into the casing above the water level. It stops as soon as the pump is no longer called on to supply water to the house. I don't know if this is 'normal' or it is a leaking valve/fitting/washer. The pump doesn't quick cycle and seems to working as it has for 20 years. What's going on?

Reply to
ENGLISH

You have a leak in a fitting or pipe. Pull the pump and repair the leak before it gets worse.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

My well casing hisses too as the pump draws down water and air rushes in from above ground to equalize pressure. After the pump shuts off it stops for a while and then starts hissing out as the water flows in down at the pump level and refills the casing. That's normal for MY well and it's been doing it for 29 years, but I don't know what's "normal" for yours or why you think there's water spraying. That would definitely NOT be normal.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks, guys. I think Pete may be right. I'll check with a pump service I know of. It's just good to have some idea of what's going on before I deal with plumbers. I don't think the pump has a leak as its down in the casing under water; how far I really don't know. It's a pipe that sits about three feet below ground and connects to I'm not sure what just above the water line in the casing. I don't think its the footvalve that the line to the house is connected to. I had that line break away from the valve some years ago and the ground got saturated around the casing. That's not happening...It looks like there's a spray of water (air?) just above the water line, but also when the pump goes off, I can see water trickling back down from the pipe I mentioned earlier. I guess I'll find out tomorrow. So far, no harm done in the way of lower water pressure or cycling on and off of the pump in an abnormal way, i.e. the system is holding pressure.

Reply to
ENGLISH

I also think you got a leak in the pipe that goes to the house. You would not notice a leak underwater. If the well is several hundred feet deep, call your plumber. If it's a shallow well, say 75 feet or less, you can probably pull the pipes yourself if you feel up to doing the job.

Reply to
maradcliff

Reply to
ENGLISH